Farmer talk

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Well rain event east of Milo is over for now with more Thunderstorms forecasted this afternoon. Anywheres from 5-7” of rain in an afternoon is crazy. This is my buddies place. Road out and bin moved 😳
Inch and 7/10 so far at my place west of Brooks. Sounds like another 1/2 coming still. Sure greened things up real quick. My road to the number one is almost impassable without 4x4. Glad we didn’t get that 7” though. That’s to much all at once.

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up with 9/10ths. Maybe more this afternoon.
I feel for the guys that got 7inches in a few hours. That made such a mess. Can’t buy a rain then bam a years worth at once. Feast or famine they say I guess. Looks like lots of cleaning up to do.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up with 9/10ths. Maybe more this afternoon.
I feel for the guys that got 7inches in a few hours. That made such a mess. Can’t buy a rain then bam a years worth at once. Feast or famine they say I guess. Looks like lots of cleaning up to do.
Yes. Was out at buddies that lives where the pics I posted is. Helped rip rugs out of basement and move furniture. Neighbours massive dugout has a solid 3ft of pea and wheat straw on top. Ducks are walking on the top. Neighbour east of him lost some calves in flash flooding from corral into a dugout. He is saying 8.5” of rain. Took a drive around out there. Looks like the land of a thousand lakes. Crazy.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are having a real bad go with flea beetles spraying 90% of canola acres, do to the crazy 10 days of wind there going straigbt for thr stems its a shitty situation hoping the weather forecast is true snd we catch a little rain in the next few days

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are having a real bad go with flea beetles spraying 90% of canola acres, do to the crazy 10 days of wind there going straigbt for thr stems its a shitty situation hoping the weather forecast is true snd we catch a little rain in the next few days
Some areas out this way have them bad as well to the point some are reseeding. So far so good here. Everything is treated with Lumiderm but hearing that not working this year?

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some areas out this way have them bad as well to the point some are reseeding. So far so good here. Everything is treated with Lumiderm but hearing that not working this year?
We have lumiderm helix fortenza advanced its a joke, then play there games to get the spray covered all we can use is matador which no one in town has any all on order no arrival date luckily i did find some from 5 dif retailers

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have lumiderm helix fortenza advanced its a joke, then play there games to get the spray covered all we can use is matador which no one in town has any all on order no arrival date luckily i did find some from 5 dif retailers
I wonder if there is an issue with it this year? Last year we ran short of canola treated with it so we seeded the Lumiderm stuff around the edges of the fields and it definately worked in comparison to the stuff that was untreated with it.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is an issue with it this year? Last year we ran short of canola treated with it so we seeded the Lumiderm stuff around the edges of the fields and it definately worked in comparison to the stuff that was untreated with it.
Honestly this year with the hurricane winds and the bugs just going to stems i dont think anythinf would work 1800 acres canola sprsyed and counting it cant grow its under such pressure and it just stuck in the bug zone some guys are re seeding now not sure if it was buggs or frost related tho

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you farmers think technology is headed in the future of farming ?

Specifically any thoughts on this program at olds https://www.oldscollege.ca/programs...tegration-post-diploma-certificate/index.html

Went down and spoke to a few councilors, expressed my concerns it could be a waste of time like my original diploma from Nait in 2005 and was told most students can secure employment; cherry picked before they graduate if they are good. Kinda like the nurses in the 90s heading south to USA.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you farmers think technology is headed in the future of farming ?

Specifically any thoughts on this program at olds https://www.oldscollege.ca/programs...tegration-post-diploma-certificate/index.html

Went down and spoke to a few councilors, expressed my concerns it could be a waste of time like my original diploma from Nait in 2005 and was told most students can secure employment; cherry picked before they graduate if they are good. Kinda like the nurses in the 90s heading south to USA.

Grain farming will be many small autonomous robots. 100ft air drills will be parked in the corner to rust away or sold for scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grain farming will be many small autonomous robots. 100ft air drills will be parked in the corner to rust away or sold for scrap.

rofl. maybe....I just cant get over the automated combining these days. Ever see the movie on netflix the biggest little farm ?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not yet, I’ll watch it this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

watching that movie a few months ago changed my life. Along with reading the book mentioned when they almost lost the farm due to fires.
After you watch please share your thoughts on movie ?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Started haying in the Shuswap.

IMG_7473.jpeg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
watching that movie a few months ago changed my life. Along with reading the book mentioned when they almost lost the farm due to fires.
After you watch please share your thoughts on movie ?

What a great show. I think every farmer should watch it. A movie like that makes me feel guilty about what grain farming has become.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a great show. I think every farmer should watch it. A movie like that makes me feel guilty about what grain farming has become.

Glad you liked it !!! When I say it changed my life it made me feel guilty too !! Guilty I went to the oilpatch pursuing money. I only wish to find a partner in life like he did.

Top Bottom