Farmer talk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude… you need to get out of your bubble! Lots of other colours in the fields now…

So many producers have left Deere, and for good reason…. I worked for a local JD dealer a number of years ago, and have seen first hand the blind arrogance that the dealer principle had. The “bang for your buck” has long since left the Deere camp.

When you think about the long cycles in agriculture, you only have so many years to turn a profit. Commodity prices and market conditions are not in the producers control. The only thing you have left is cost control, and equipment is a huge part of that. The Deere camp always speaks to resale as the justification for a purchase, but thats a poor reason. The capital saved by purchasing other brands, either means you can buy something else you need, or save some coin in your own pocket. At the very end, what would you rather be, equipment rich, or have something else in savings or investments..??
I like it in my bubble. Don't worry about me. Done extremely well with green over the years. By the looks of the colors in my county and a couple surrounding ones I think quite a few farmers are thinking along the same lines as me. My nephew has red. 3 call outs for chopper problems this year and a broken driveshaft on a one year old 8250. I'm not seeing anything there where I would be inclined to switch colors if I was in the buying mode. 10 years ago I bought a used JD 7710 FWA loader tractor for $65000. Right now trying to decide if I'm going to sell it for $80,000 to 2 different buyers. 6000 hours but very clean. Just would need to replace it is all which would be pricey. Small world problems.:unsure:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it in my bubble. Don't worry about me. Done extremely well with green over the years. By the looks of the colors in my county and a couple surrounding ones I think quite a few farmers are thinking along the same lines as me. My nephew has red. 3 call outs for chopper problems this year and a broken driveshaft on a one year old 8250. I'm not seeing anything there where I would be inclined to switch colors if I was in the buying mode. 10 years ago I bought a used JD 7710 FWA loader tractor for $65000. Right now trying to decide if I'm going to sell it for $80,000 to 2 different buyers. 6000 hours but very clean. Just would need to replace it is all which would be pricey. Small world problems.:unsure:
John Deere is the best, even when it's not, it is. All serious farmers run John Deere.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting to be more lexicons in our area. Judging by fields they were on I’m not so sure they put more in the hopper. Maybe in canola swaths if you want to push the lever
We straight cut so can only feed so fast. Maybe fd2 if we get
Great when new but the minimum 1 hr each way for parts as it ages and you have issues- mechanical ones not to worried it’s the electrical where service call required
Deere is 20min. Know most of guys in shop, parts supply extensive plus with 6 other locations
No I don’t think Deere is the best but makes the most sense and easy resell

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1634492319504.jpg

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got some pricing a few days ago
46-0-0 was $1060/ton
11-52 was $1175/ton
So whats a guy do wait till spring and hopefully it comes down? Or jusy buy now thats the million dollar question, usually tbere floaters and nh3 guys going crazy right now not much happeneing around bere only one guy floating

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So whats a guy do wait till spring and hopefully it comes down? Or jusy buy now thats the million dollar question, usually tbere floaters and nh3 guys going crazy right now not much happeneing around bere only one guy floating
If a guy can get it in the spring.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of talk here as well about fert prices. One guy said he may just grow pulses to save on Urea and chemfallow his projected cereal ground. No one has pre bought fert that I know. Everyone waiting for it to come down. Should be some residual in the ground from lack of crop this year

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been more fall Banding and guys pulling bottles around these I've seen in a fair while! That's not saying much because the last few we've still have a month of combining left or snow on the ground

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been more fall Banding and guys pulling bottles around these I've seen in a fair while! That's not saying much because the last few we've still have a month of combining left or snow on the ground
I'm not sure the soil would seal the ground here behind the NH3 knives. Ground is like cement

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes same up here, we are bone dry but guys seem to be out there anyway??
I talked to a friend yesterday who used to run a larger independent input place up here and now works for a fert wholesale Import company supplying the Nutriens and Richardson's! He doesn't think western Canadian supply will be a real serious issue but doesn't think you'll see any real price drop either.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My plan is to go pretty conservative with our granular through the drill and if the weather gives us some yield potential with rain , float on extra dry or dribble bar liquid in crop, he figures you could see a $300/t drop after the seeding push! Might jump pulse acres if we see any attractive fall 22 futures ??

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard from a little birdy one farmer in the area has 3.5 mil in buyout fees currently lawyers hVe several people seeing there options against grain contracts, also was told those who have agra stability they will be getting there contracts covered by them possibly

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard from a little birdy one farmer in the area has 3.5 mil in buyout fees currently lawyers hVe several people seeing there options against grain contracts, also was told those who have agra stability they will be getting there contracts covered by them possibly

I don't agree with that at all. I heard a guy that fall contracted a bunch of fertilizer a long time ago (probably significantly cheaper than todays prices) for fall delivery is now not getting his phone calls answered. If you don't want to honour a contract, don't sign one.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with that at all. I heard a guy that fall contracted a bunch of fertilizer a long time ago (probably significantly cheaper than todays prices) for fall delivery is now not getting his phone calls answered. If you don't want to honour a contract, don't sign one.
Used to be a force majeure clause in these contacts that just kind of disappeared.

Might be the only argument.

I see both sides.

Gonna be writing a cheaque this year.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
John Deere salesman told me that If you want a new tractor it’s 1 year out if you order today.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like easy pickings for even a poor lawyer.

Top Bottom