Farmer talk

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We sprayed pretty much everything 2 weeks ago Wasn’t cheap but there were lots of weeds besides volunteers so should have clean field. Wasn’t easy decision even with glyphosate from spring

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2BB6BE38-3088-4744-81F3-983761419572.jpeg
0052C4F1-2854-4F80-905C-B51EAFC132FD.jpeg

Scale we did this summer for weighing his cattle.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
John Deere is good stuff.
Agland flew us down to Waterloo, Des Moines and Moline a couple years ago, super good trip but I was always amazed at how little anyone around there was actually working??

Last edited:

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Agland flew us down to Waterloo, Des Moines and Cedar Rapids a couple years ago, super good trip but I was always amazed at how little anyone around there was actually working??
I always think everyone is super efficient, doesn’t take breaks, hi tails everything, super efficient and productive, no dogchuckin’ everyone is competent. I haven’t seen any proof of this. Any opinions on my flawed opinion on currrent farm machinery manufacturing?

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think in all fairness the tours were planned so we didn't really see a lot of the build process! Engine plant was cool to see the robots hammering out motors!
I've been to the Bourgault plant and was pretty impressed by the workmanship and quality!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Local huts colony went out the claas (tingleys) for quote on 4 combines, and they were $1m cheaper than what deer quoted.

Told deer in 15 days they were gonna sign with claas if they couldn't match.

Final day they dropped $1m.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Local huts colony went out the claas (tingleys) for quote on 4 combines, and they were $1m cheaper than what deer quoted.

Wow, that's crazy. Was the quote on JD x9's?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s a lot of money but you don’t see any Claas combines anywhere for a reason. Definitely Deere’s would be more expensive. Be interesting to know how they compared on retail price

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wow . That's a big drop

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow . That's a big drop
Yeah on a million dollar combine like an X9 which I assume they would have to be to drop that kind of dollars there would have to be 25% mark up on the machines. That’s a lot. There isn’t that much mark up in recreational vehicles and the automotive industry. The manufacturer (Deere) would almost have to be involved Im thinking on that deal. I could be wrong but like I said the rec and car industry are pretty similar in mark ups and they are about 8% off that mark.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s a lot of money but you don’t see any Claas combines anywhere for a reason. Definitely Deere’s would be more expensive. Be interesting to know how they compared on retail price
More and more and more Claas combines showing up in our neck of the woods. One of the big farms in our area (45,000 is acres) runs 6 of them, said he prefers them over the deeres, they keep more grain in the hopper and are less money to maintain.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More and more and more Claas combines showing up in our neck of the woods. One of the big farms in our area (45,000 is acres) runs 6 of them, said he prefers them over the deeres, they keep more grain in the hopper and are less money to maintain.
It’s good they have a few out there then. In southern Alberta I have yet to see 1 in all my travels. Mostly Deere then Case and the odd gleaner and new Holland.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say we have a pretty good mix up here, JD might be slightly more common than new Holland, followed by case, then claas/lexion, then gleaner/Massey.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uncle had a x9 demo he said may replace 2 older 9600s in productivity but not a chance in hell of replacing 2 690s/790s like they claim, he said it was a nice combine but he would buy two low houred 690s for 3-400 each
Over one x9 for a mil anyday plus everything breaks down and this year its been hard enough to get parts wonder how many parts will be stocked for the 4 x9s they sel in the area, we have been deere since the massy days mid 90s but our next ones may very well be claas as there def eating up jd stock in the area we used to farm
Around 16000 acres and even for us at those acres the x9 wouldnt make sense finacially i dont no how some boys makes the numbers work, all new iron pay crazy high rent and farming it for free best thing we ever did when dad go sick was down size making more
Profit off 3500 then 15000 but thats my 2 cents lol

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s good they have a few out there then. In southern Alberta I have yet to see 1 in all my travels. Mostly Deere then Case and the odd gleaner and new Holland.
Dude… you need to get out of your bubble! Lots of other colours in the fields now…

So many producers have left Deere, and for good reason…. I worked for a local JD dealer a number of years ago, and have seen first hand the blind arrogance that the dealer principle had. The “bang for your buck” has long since left the Deere camp.

When you think about the long cycles in agriculture, you only have so many years to turn a profit. Commodity prices and market conditions are not in the producers control. The only thing you have left is cost control, and equipment is a huge part of that. The Deere camp always speaks to resale as the justification for a purchase, but thats a poor reason. The capital saved by purchasing other brands, either means you can buy something else you need, or save some coin in your own pocket. At the very end, what would you rather be, equipment rich, or have something else in savings or investments..??

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say we have a pretty good mix up here, JD might be slightly more common than new Holland, followed by case, then claas/lexion, then gleaner/Massey.
Agreed… Deere hanging on to popularity is probably a result of the lingering affect of the huge dealer network built over the last century. Dealer loyalty was a big thing in the past, but with the money we’re talking nowadays, thats disappearing.

Top Bottom