Farmer talk

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whereabouts do you farm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not farm, but I spend a lot of time on farms in the summerish months building hopper bins. West Central Sask area, From Shellbrook country to Battleford, to Lloyd, P Hill, Spiritwood, Canwood...

The bins in the pictures are North of Melfort about 15-20 minutes.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the spec on the pad/foundation for those big Hopper Bins?
As far as ground pressure goes it has the same PSI as a 21' 6 ring (7900bu) on a tripple skid.

As far as what the manufacturer recommends for a base I would have to get back to you on that to be certain.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed wind-proof, right?
Hahah, hopper weighs in at 32,000lbs, bin is around 15,000lbs with the stairs... the wind blows that biotch over... there is gonna be a whole lot of other ch!t to worry about.

They do have a wind ring for the roof though...
20240326_140045.jpg

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you saying they’re not anchored down ?
The farmer did anchor these ones down, cables up high then attached to screw pilings.

I was kinda surprised to see it to be honest, but perhaps it was a stipulation with insurance. Grand scheme of things pretty inexpensive to anchor them with screw pilings, as I have seen the galvanized rod with single flightings pull out.

Screenshot_20240327_085304_Gallery.jpg

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The farmer did anchor these ones down, cables up high then attached to screw pilings.

I was kinda surprised to see it to be honest, but perhaps it was a stipulation with insurance. Grand scheme of things pretty inexpensive to anchor them with screw pilings, as I have seen the galvanized rod with single flightings pull out.

View attachment 281443
At the price of those bins i imagine a few screw piles werbt a budget breaker lol, ya pretty dif in anchored vs non anchored bin insurance price

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the price of those bins i imagine a few screw piles werbt a budget breaker lol, ya pretty dif in anchored vs non anchored bin insurance price
I'm surprised guys can even get insurance without anchors, I bet we fixed close to 30 5000bu bins that blew over last year in one storm from July long, most was insurance, but some definitely wasn't.

I always recommend anything below 10,000bu get srew piling anchors or concrete blocks on the skids in our area.
I don't recommend those galvanized rods with the small single flighting on the bottom. They pull out of the ground to easy, and they can be biotch to install.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 281443
My nephew and brother in law are in the same industry as you. They use 12” diameter screw anchors to hold their bins down and put good chain from the anchor to the bin legs. Usually 3-4 per bin. They screw them in with a hydraulic attachment on their skid steer. It’s pricey but I know my insurance requires for bins to be anchored or the insurance on the bin is voided. My other nephew ( What? No Way Guy) builds them as he is a welder/fab guy and they are sturdy. Can’t see them ever pulling out. The cheaper galvanized ones you buy at Peavey or UFA probably will help but would pull out pretty easy I think.

Last edited:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised guys can even get insurance without anchors, I bet we fixed close to 30 5000bu bins that blew over last year in one storm from July long, most was insurance, but some definitely wasn't.

I always recommend anything below 10,000bu get srew piling anchors or concrete blocks on the skids in our area.
I don't recommend those galvanized rods with the small single flighting on the bottom. They pull out of the ground to easy, and they can be biotch to install.
We run the big concrete blocks 0
Issues yet and like 100 bucks a block

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

We had a storm in SW Sask this July also. It lifted a 19' hopper and some 16' smooth wall and tightened the anchors. Even bent a couple anchors. We use the galvanized ones and they did their job. But our soil is pretty hard, it would open up the eyelet before it pulled it out of the ground.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a storm in SW Sask this July also. It lifted a 19' hopper and some 16' smooth wall and tightened the anchors. Even bent a couple anchors. We use the galvanized ones and they did their job. But our soil is pretty hard, it would open up the eyelet before it pulled it out of the ground.
Well that is good to hear they did their job, I've shown up to a few places to stand bins back up with those anchors still attached to the hopper.

I know my little zoom boom with 5500lbs lift can pull those galvanized ones out easy in the ground up here.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell me you have moisture without telling me. Could dig a hole anywhere all winter out here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We must had had frost here as water was pooling in our yard and then one afternoon it was gone.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might want to wait till frost is out before trying lol
Hahah, we were building in Moose Jaw years ago in March on a low snow year, they were calling for a bunch of wind over the weekend so we had to put anchors in.

Used a Hotsy to make a hole then spun the anchors in, then it froze back up, it actually worked surprisingly well.

Top Bottom