F150 question 5.4 L or 5.0 L

NORDIC

Reaction score
To all the F150 owners. I am looking for a new to me truck. Would love a 2013 F150 but not in the cards right now. Budget is $25 000. Need a super crew 4 x 4 with 6.5 foot box. Should I purchase a 2009-2010? Or should I save some extra cash and wait to buy a 2011 and up? Not interested in the Eco boost. Is the 5.0 L that much better than the 5.4 L to justify the extra cash? Thanks in advance!

jhard

Reaction score
To all the F150 owners. I am looking for a new to me truck. Would love a 2013 F150 but not in the cards right now. Budget is $25 000. Need a super crew 4 x 4 with 6.5 foot box. Should I purchase a 2009-2010? Or should I save some extra cash and wait to buy a 2011 and up? Not interested in the Eco boost. Is the 5.0 L that much better than the 5.4 L to justify the extra cash? Thanks in advance!
Don't waste your money on a 5.4 and save for a 5.0 but I have a ecoboost with programmer, exhaust and intake and it would walk all over the 5.0 and 5.4 even when it was stock but then again I'm a turbo junki lol

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have several F150's with both engines, they are exactly what you are asking about. The only issue is with the clutch packs in the rear ends 10's. they had a different company making them. If you keep the speed around 110 you will get fantastic mileage and I have zero issues pulling my 21' custom weld jet boat or 20' enclosed with any of them. The majority have 150 liter fuel tanks in them and tool boxes. If you don't mind the noise from the clutch pack it won't damage the rear end, I think there is an update kit also. Dealerships won't really stand behind any repeat warranty, but I really think they are a great choice for a truck. You should have no problem finding a lariat with the specs you want for we'll under the price you want to spend. I have 17 guys that are driving these trucks and several aren't ford guys, they all agree that they are a descent truck nd we have had minimal issues other than the rear clutch packs.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They average 700 - 800 Kms per tank on the highway ( not speeding ) and some guys will get 900. I would choose the 2010 with the 5.4. Last year they had that engine Nd it's perfected!!!

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 2010 with 5.4 love it. Great on fuel. Have some 5.0L company trucks and love them more. We're getting better mileage with the 5.0L then the two eco boosts we have.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 on highway ( 110 avg) I can get 940 to 970 km's to a tank. 130L tank. Thing is awesome on fuel after getting out of my 06 Hemi. Lol

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup for sure. Took me a while to adapt to the seat. Found it killed my back at first. Also have afe intake, hypertech tuner, and flow master american thunder cat back on mine.

xmsummit154

Reaction score
I have a 2011 f150 with the 5.0L engine. I get around 900km per tank and its been a good truck. have owned it since new and have 70 000k on it now. We have had to change the posi plates in the rear end under warranty. Very nice riding truck and I wouldn't want the ecoboost There have been to many issues with them at our local dealer.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you could find a slightly used one with a 5.0 on Kijiji for $25k

Sent from my S4

Redneck002

Reaction score
I have had both the 5.4l and the 5.0l at 110km/hr they are the same on fuel about 15L/100km i put on about 50000-60000km per year i like the 5.0L better seems to wanna go when you kick it down. The other guy i work with has the 6.2L in his f150 and its better on fuel then both my 5.0L have been if you can find one in the price range your looking at they are a kick A$$ engine and will be my next one for sure. i would personally stay away from the eco boost unless you have a good buddy that owns a tow company that you want to line his pockets with there has been nothing but greif with them out here who ever engineered that engine i would not piss on his gums if his teeth were on fire.

NORDIC

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the Real World experience with these trucks. Great information! Started the painful process of looking for a used truck. What I find interesting is everyone's idea of what a MINT truck looks like lol.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone has such bad luck with ecoboost motors... I have an early 11 supercrew that now has 165,000 on it and the only problem I have had was had a misfire and had to change the plugs. I have got as high as 27mpg on roadtrips and have towed max weight (probably a little over) a bunch.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 5.4 has two major problems timing chain adj is oil pressure fed and WHEN it fails it will starve the top of the motor for oil coming from revy it let go just coming into golden 60,000 so that tick in the motor get it done right away, and the vearable timing actuator fails 5.0 is a proven motor

jhard

Reaction score
I have had both the 5.4l and the 5.0l at 110km/hr they are the same on fuel about 15L/100km i put on about 50000-60000km per year i like the 5.0L better seems to wanna go when you kick it down. The other guy i work with has the 6.2L in his f150 and its better on fuel then both my 5.0L have been if you can find one in the price range your looking at they are a kick A$$ engine and will be my next one for sure. i would personally stay away from the eco boost unless you have a good buddy that owns a tow company that you want to line his pockets with there has been nothing but greif with them out here who ever engineered that engine i would not piss on his gums if his teeth were on fire.
Never had a ecoboost towed into out shop yet except for one that the lube place forgot to put oil in and a rod came out the side of the block, some misfires yes but that's the customer putting in ****ty gas like husky or gas with lots of ethanol that causing plugs to foul I got lot of customers with over 150000 with no major issues Eco boost IMO is the best engine yet more power more torque

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little fairy told me that ecoboosts are recommended to run premium fuel and do much better all around when you do. Regular is still ok though.

Top Bottom