F150 2.7 l good for towing?

RMKRookie

Reaction score
Looking at getting a F150 with the 2.7 litre for towing a 22 foot holiday trailer and looking for real world feedback on whether these 2.7's are good for towing - any import would be appreciated . Thanks

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The F150 itself tows alright. It's never going to pull like a diesel being lightweight and soft sprung, but they do OK.

The 2.7 looks to have pretty decent power, especially if you compare it to the top of the line half tons of 15 years ago. As long as you're not planning to be running the left lane on the QE 500, it'll probably do just fine for you. They look to get pretty decent fuel economy while you're running empty as well, which is a big deal these days.

RMKRookie

Reaction score
The F150 itself tows alright. It's never going to pull like a diesel being lightweight and soft sprung, but they do OK.

The 2.7 looks to have pretty decent power, especially if you compare it to the top of the line half tons of 15 years ago. As long as you're not planning to be running the left lane on the QE 500, it'll probably do just fine for you. They look to get pretty decent fuel economy while you're running empty as well, which is a big deal these days.
Thanks for the response

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20 years ago if you had a 1 ton Duramax you were a bad@ss, that truck would do anything from haul lawnmowers to pull 35ft fifth wheels, hell it would even move mountains and pull freight trains with its 300hp and 5 speed transmission if you were man enough.

Now a 2.7 Ecoboost F150 with 330hp and a 10 speed transmission is a small truck capable of only light towing according to most.

How times have changed.

(Before someone gets their panties in a bunch I understand there are major differences between chassis, suspension and brake systems on a 1 ton and F150.)

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel i would go with the bigger EB 3.5 i think, buddy has one it is surprisingly good. Better than the 5.0 for towing

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No experience with the 2.7, but have been very happy with my 3.5. Unreal how well it tows. Tranny holds weight back on hills really nice too

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2002 duramax had 520ft lbs of torque though. Not saying the f150 2.7 wont tow good, but id take the 2002 durmax all day for a pure tow rig.

For a daily driver might be different story.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2021 f150 with a 2.7 good truck, don't think I would be towing with it, but it will. Up to 8000lbs should be no issue. Previously had a 2015 3.5 eco hauled 10K it worked good just add air bags lol. It's all about realistic expectations.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
Had a 18 2.7 truck and it was pretty quick. Never towed with it as I have a super duty. Like everyone said, if the trailer is lighter and you use a WD hitch I’m sure it will do okay. Gonna been in the boost alot and use alot of fuel.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is rental operator that delivered a 4 .5 ton Kabuto excavator to me using the F150 as the tow rig. He was very pleased & a older retired logger.....qualified to comment.

We have two pick up's in our household, fancy Denali 1/2 ton with the fancy direct injection 6.2 & 10spd. I've the 1T Duramax, the difference in fuel consumption between the trucks is "insignificant" over a year. Cold weather, loaded & towing nullifies any fuel advantage the gas truck has.

The Denali 1/2T was actually 12K more expensive than the model down Duramax & is three years newer. We are currently changing our vehicles, guess which one has higher resale value.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its the alum body make sure if your towing you have enough tong weight... The dam truck is so light its quite easy for the load to take control over the truck quickly...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
airbags and 10ply tires make a huge difference when hauling or towing weight with the F150.

RMKRookie

Reaction score
If its the alum body make sure if your towing you have enough tong weight... The dam truck is so light its quite easy for the load to take control over the truck quickly...
after a lot of digging, I have decided that the 2.7 with the middle tow package - 7700 lbs - the truck will be stressed as Ford has rated the tow figures with no wind resistance, but does have a frontage chart to help decide on the tow limit. The 7700 lb tow is maxed at 6000 lbs with the frontage calculated in. My trailer is 4800 dry, plus AC unit ( as per Forest River ) plus 575 lbs fresh water, plus antenna dish, plus microwave and so on - I think it would be too close or just over the max amount. Thanks for the input!

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 3.5 ecoboost f-150, it towed better than most half tons for sure but sold it and got a diesel, My sled trailer is maybe 6500lbs all in and I hated towing it with the half ton. It was more the weight of the truck that was the issue and the fact that I always tow in the winter and the roads were crap. If your just pulling your trailer a handful of times during the warm months and not going through the mountains you will probably be ok. I wouldn't do it but I also wouldn't pay $120000 for a new 1 ton diesel either.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think over 50% of halftons towing RV’s are over their GVWR.
I weighed my Ram 1500 diesel with a few tools, myself and my son, no trailer and I had 500 pounds left.

500lb tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch is still a big trailer.

Plus your ecodiesel will have a lower payload capacity than the trucks with the bigger gas engines and tow/payload packages.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems common for a travel trailer to be about 13% of loaded as a good tongue weight estimate then lose another 100lbs or so for the WDH

So with only 500lbs payload you'd be lucky to fit a 3500lb trailer in that range

Top Bottom