External Hard-drive on Telus/Bell Sat Receiver

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody added an external hard-drive to their Telus/Bell satellite receiver, they are both model 6131? Not the pvr style, but the receiver that has no memory? Which hard-drive did you use, is it working fine and was it basically plug and play?

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can use pretty much use any external hard drive as long as it has a separate power supply. The bell/telus receivers don't have sufficient power through the USB to power it up.When you plug the USB in the receiver will detect it and do a software download. Then the 6131 or 6141 acts like a regular PVR just a little slower to retrieve recorded shows on the guide.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention to make sure it is a disc drive and not solid state to. Has to be USB 2.0 as these receivers do not support USB 3.0

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they work great i believe they have to be 500gb or less though to work at least thats what i was told by telus years ago

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told all the stuff above by the Telus installer that came to my place also that the drive needs to be 7200 rpm and must not go to standby mode when connected to the receiver.

I'm just having a heck of a time finding a drive that has all those features.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
those are minimum requirements...

hit the sat forums, lots of makes and models people verify work

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told all the stuff above by the Telus installer that came to my place also that the drive needs to be 7200 rpm and must not go to standby mode when connected to the receiver.

I'm just having a heck of a time finding a drive that has all those features.
Ya....I have one with an old Maxtor drive that is still rolling....but on my wifes we have a newer Seagate 750gig drive...no standalone power....works fine.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Seagate 1 terabyte drive and no standalone power. No problems.

Top Bottom