Exhaust question for 2004 D-max

tasco

Reaction score
My 2004.5 D-max just came of warrenty 156000 km. Best truck I own.

was wondering if cutting our all of the emissions stuff from the exhasut will help the performance and fuel economy of the truck. I run a Van Aaken chip set to medium and get approximatly 600 - 700 km out of a tank of Diesel ( 100 liter tank). I don't feel like changing out the intake system.

Right now I do have more power than I need, but I want my truck to run as efficient as possible.

Misfit

Reaction score
Anybody else feel free to jump in but maybe a programmer with a setting for fuel economy would be your ticket. Diesel programmers seem to be legit were as I have heard that gas ones are not as popular.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TAKE IT OUT.Get ride of the exhaust.Put a turbo back 4" system in.It will give quicker spool up on your turbo,lower egts and help a little with milage.Your cat is most likly plugged with soot it your running a chip already.On my 04 I had 4 " turbo back duals ,edge chip and AFE stage 2 intake and it work great.Pm If your looking for some stuff I help you out.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I AGREE WITH XSYOURIDE.... PUT A TURBO BACK 4 OR 5" EXHAUST ON AND DEFINATELY A FRESH AIR INTAKE KIT OF SOME TYPE..... MUCH BETTER GAS MILEAGE AND POWER WILL BE THE RESULT..... YOU'LL BE MUCH HAPPIER!!!!!!!!! :beer::beer::d:beer::beer:

mudbitchguy

Reaction score
Website
www.supergripatv.ca
I agree as well... Cold air intake is a must! especially if you cut out your cat! You need to balance air in with exhaust out.

I ahve and 08 Silverado Lt 5.3L and I have seen 50-75km gain per tank by installing an Airaid Cold air intake system. Well worth the $300!

IMO

tasco

Reaction score
I was talking to my Dealer today about the Idea of sutting out the Cat. and he had conserns about the O2 sensors and messing up computers. He said that 1/2 the guys that did it had good luck, and the other 1/2 had nothing but problems, so their putting the Cat back in. :confused:

I agree I will probably need a cold air intake system. Problem is I runn a lot of gravel and am concerned about plugging and replacing filters

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
WITH WHATEVER FRESHAIR KIT YOU INSTALL, YOU CAN GET THE PRE-FILTERS(SOCKS) AND THEY WORK FINE.... HAVE HAD MINE ON FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND HAVEN'T HAD TO CLEAN THE FILTER YET.... WASHED THE PREFILTER WITH WATER AND THAT WAS IT!!! DO THE EXHAUST, IS ALL I CAN SAY..... WE'VE PROBABLY DONE AT LEAST A DOZEN IN THE LAST YEAR, AND HUGE IMPROVEMENT IN EVERY CASE!!! THE EXHAUST ISN'T WORTH JUST CUTTING OUT THE CAT(HOWEVER THAT IS WHAT I HAVE DONE TO MY CUMMINS AT PRESENT --- 4" EXHAUST FROM FACTORY, AND 5" COMING SOON), AS THE CHEVY'S RUN A SMALLER DIAMETER EXHAUST AND REALLY WAKE UP WITH THE INTAKE KIT AND EXHAUST!!!! JUST MY 2 CENTS, BUT THEN AGAIN, WHAT DO I KNOW! :beer:;):beer:

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking to my Dealer today about the Idea of sutting out the Cat. and he had conserns about the O2 sensors and messing up computers. He said that 1/2 the guys that did it had good luck, and the other 1/2 had nothing but problems, so their putting the Cat back in. :confused:

I agree I will probably need a cold air intake system. Problem is I runn a lot of gravel and am concerned about plugging and replacing filters

I'm not sure if your dealer has ever been under a 04 duramax because i'd like to now where that 02 sensor is in the exhaust.Trust me take that stock exhaust out from the turbo back use the pipe to make grinder stands,put 4 " turbo back with a AFE stage 2 intake with a pre filter sock to keep the bugs and dirt from getting into the vanes of the filter.Putting a cat back on is just a waste of money on diesel you still have the resistance of the cat creating higher egt's and slower turbo spool up.Biggest problem people have with codes is they over oil the air filter and the mass air flow sensor gets plugged with oil and needs to cleaned off.

tasco

Reaction score
Starting to price out a system, hopfully it will be installed in the next couple of weeks

tasco

Reaction score
any one know where I can get a good deal on a 5" stainless steel turbo back exhaust system, and a cold air intake for my truck

2004.5 4x4 d-max I believe lly moter
crewcab shortbox

Thanks

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any one know where I can get a good deal on a 5" stainless steel turbo back exhaust system, and a cold air intake for my truck

2004.5 4x4 d-max I believe lly moter
crewcab shortbox

Thanks

I'm not sure if you looked into this, but is it really gonna be any savings on gas when your spending all this cash for your truck? How much efficiency are you really gonna gain? Just a thought...:twocents:

tasco

Reaction score
Right now I am buring approx 100 liters per night pulling a trailer with a forklift on it approx 7000 lbs. I get approx 500 km out of my 100 liter tank. I am running a Van Aaken chip right now

I figure by eliminating all the back preasure from my catalytic converter and increasing the flow through my exhaust system, and updating my cold air intake I can get an other 50 to 100 km out of a tank of diesel

by the way I am looking at a Magna flow 4" stainless system from Unlimited Preformance in Calgary here, and a AFE Cold Air intake system SKU # 54-10612

With the the exhaust and intake installed I think I can pull my trailer with my chip set on high with out worrying about over heating my turbo

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
right Now I Am Buring Approx 100 Liters Per Night Pulling A Trailer With A Forklift On It Approx 7000 Lbs. I Get Approx 500 Km Out Of My 100 Liter Tank. I Am Running A Van Aaken Chip Right Now

I Figure By Eliminating All The Back Preasure From My Catalytic Converter And Increasing The Flow Through My Exhaust System, And Updating My Cold Air Intake I Can Get An Other 50 To 100 Km Out Of A Tank Of Diesel

By The Way I Am Looking At A Magna Flow 4" Stainless System From Unlimited Preformance In Calgary Here, And A Afe Cold Air Intake System Sku # 54-10612

With The The Exhaust And Intake Installed I Think I Can Pull My Trailer With My Chip Set On High With Out Worrying About Over Heating My Turbo

Hey Tasco.... Pm Me Your Prices And I'll See What We Can Doo Up Here.............

GRD

Reaction score
With the the exhaust and intake installed I think I can pull my trailer with my chip set on high with out worrying about over heating my turbo

Tasco, I would recommend some gauges if your adding that and going to be pulling... It is good to monitor that pyro temp when your working it!:twocents:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The Allison Transmission rebuild starts at about $5000 and for the bullet proof version its about $7500, with the chip over level 2 and pulling a trailer expecially a larger trailer be prepared to be doing a Transmission, I did. And yes you need EGT and Boost Gauges as well. The edge with attitude has a warning system that you can set the limits so it makes a noise. With my 02 I had the Edge with Attidude, Magnaflow 3" exhaust, K&N intake, I would often see between 630 - 690 km tank, with the chip on 2, And remember the GM only has a 100L tank, the most Ive ever put in was 94L right to the neck, except for one esso station pump says I put in 109L :rolleyes:

tasco

Reaction score
Well I havnt got my fancy exhaust system and cold air intake yet.

Seems like my truck started going to limp mode for no reason, that I can figure out. Changed fuel filter about 3 times, replaced the water sensor at the bottom of the fuel filter, because it seemed that when I played with the conection to the wiring harness here that the truck would stop being in limp mode after I play with this conection.

Right now it is in the shop, I think it is a harness issue. It is giving weird codes number 7 and 8 injector codes came up a few times, can't remember what the mechanic told me what the codes were, I cleared them a couple of times now. Truck dos'nt smoke period and runs like a top whin it is'nt in limp mode.

Any one have any ideas? No aftermarket parts till it's fixed.

2004 d-max, LLY engine

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds Like the samething mine did ,went into limp mode and had barely enough power to pull it's self down the road.What it was 7 and 8 injector harness wires had open circuit right at the injector.All they did was cut the wires off and put a new plug on.From what I understand it is a common thing with those to go out.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree as well... Cold air intake is a must! especially if you cut out your cat! You need to balance air in with exhaust out.

I wouldn't bother with an intake on the Duramax unless you're planning on making over 500rwhp. Won't help. Exhaust is a must though to get your EGT's down.

Tranny is your next biggest worry. You may find that you get the best mileage on a higher hp setting, IF you can keep your foot out of it. :d

try dieselplace.com for any questions, plenty of threads to search and solid advice on there.

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$ 845 installed for 4" turbo back 304 stainless with 5" polished tip.
Afe system.

Top Bottom