Estimate the damage...

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shad up, tranquillicer... dont tell me you have never rode in a ditch! and this culvert wasnt at an approach rd smart ass... a 24" pipe under the road, so obviously a farmer put it in there.

if a farmer truly did put it across a roadway / ditch without written consent from the county. and your rideing in allowable county areas. that farmer is legally responsible for any damage forthcoming to another individual or property

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep....you better go get a lottery ticket bud! Glad yer OK but your sled is like done am thinking! Maybe try and find another one with a motor out of it and use some of your parts to rebuild...thats sucks man!

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
part it out. i seen one like that last year and it cost more to fix. then it was worth. you'll get good bucks for the parts on here. you'll probably get back close to what ya paid for it.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that a brand new 377 belt on the seat? If so I'll take it! $75

I'd go $6500 as well, new tunnel, bulk head, plastic, pipe, all new hardware...

Best I could ay to do is now invest into a carbon chassis/tunnel and build the sweetet sled you can!

Luckily you made it out alright! (minus some pride)

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is an insurance claim.....it's a write-off...... Sue the farmer too

Yup, sue the farmer....that will help in getting all of us access to ride! :nono:

Pretty soon every county will shut us down from riding the ditches because there are culverts and posts and rocks that they will somehow be liable for. We need to take some responsibility:rant:

Be careful what we wish for...because you may get it!
You may get money from the farmer but it will not help our sport in a long run.

I am glad that no one was hurt but talking lawsuit is not the answer!

Did anyone read the post on how all the trails have been closed in Quebec because the landowners.....mostly farmers, I'm guessing, are fed up with the abuse.

So sue them (those awful landowners) and let me know how that will improve our riding access.:rant::rant:

My rant is over......thanks for listening:beer:

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tunnel is i believe 2800$ or 3200$ dont remember.. but that right there alone is a write off. its about 20hrs labor at a shop. at 100$ an hr..
so 2000 + 2800= 4800 . changing the tunnel would incorprite the other parts. just parts bill goes up more.. so write off. .

after relooking at the pics.. to be honest.. the front end doesnt look damaged.. just the headlight assy. not to expensive. bar risers and bars.. replace the rear bumper. press the tunnel back as straight as possible. ( done it myself on an xp before) and ride the dang thing. fix it over the summer.. dont quote me as i cant really tell on the front end.. but not to bad.. cant see the a-frame going to the steering collum. or any of that stuff. but if you wanna ride it.. it can be done for i bet under 1000$

415129301 Frame, 146". Includes 1 to 41 2505.99 *
860200120 Steering Hi-Riser Kit. Includes 4 to 5 69.99 *
517303603 Indicator Support 39.99 *
517303918 Hood, Black 139.99 *
506152191 Handlebar 67.49

my buddy just picked up his freeride thursday went out today and tore the whole right side out of the bulk head.. wrote it off with 40km on it.. talk about a piss off

Last edited:

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Heh I'd delete this thread...or the pics anyways, put collision on it this week and claim it in a month or so :)

tranquillicer

Reaction score
shad up, tranquillicer... dont tell me you have never rode in a ditch! and this culvert wasnt at an approach rd smart ass... a 24" pipe under the road, so obviously a farmer put it in there.

I ride in ditches almost every time I ride out here. The only real danger usually found in a ditch is a culvert, the post that usally marks a culverts location or an approach. If I assumed wrong when you said 90 then I apologize but, i just finished repairing a sled of mine damaged by someone that found a surprise in the middle of no where and he is still making visits to the hospital and I dam near lost a good friend years ago because he guessed wrong on an approach and stabbed a ski into a culvert covered by snow.
I don't know about where you ride but where i ride farmers don't install culverts, Rm's and Dept. of highways do and culverts are where ever they need to be not just at at approaches. If you got proof that a farmer installed that culvert you likely have a law suite you would win hands down.

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
usually the culverts are installed dead center of the approaches so if you cut to one side or the other.........hopefully a guy would miss it. But.......have had many a freind do the same thing over the years

kingkat88

Reaction score
gotta say i think its pretty un-cool how people have to talk trash about someone smashing up their sled. u wherent there......so you dont know how it happened. On the other hand i was there. Anyone could have been the masterpiece of this culvert. I crossed it in just the same place as him, just chitty luck. hope you get er all sorted out so we can head for the hills and not waste anymore time riding ditches :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after relooking at the pics.. to be honest.. the front end doesnt look damaged.. just the headlight assy. not to expensive. bar risers and bars.. replace the rear bumper. press the tunnel back as straight as possible. ( done it myself on an xp before) and ride the dang thing. fix it over the summer..

What he said^^ front end doesn't look that bad from the pics, shocks and arms still look straight, buy a new tunnel or find a parted out machine and swap everything over. I wouldn't advise on what some others have said, if you think this is expensive - $6500 is a drop in the bucket for what you will pay a lawyer to defend you in an insurance fraud case........Get insurance for next time and chalk it up to lesson learned.

I've never ridden ditches and because we see about 10 of these threads every year, I likely never will. There's too much junk in the ditches IMO, if you gotta ride there, maybe make a moderated (i.e. slower) speed pass first, then hit it at 90 on the way back home, once you've confirmed there is nothing in the way.

Glad you are OK.

Top Bottom