Epoxy River Projects

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did go for a visit with my new buddy Joe @ spirit wood designs in Edmonton today. He had been busy and had 3 River tables on the go. They look mint! Ocean bottom look. A thinner pour of a teal for a base layer then artistically texture sand, bark scraps, and rocks in the void. Then pours with clear to fill up to level.

I didn’t take pictures. Just soaked In
The tips. I helped him hang a new sign with my bucket truck and grab a batch of epoxies to start experimenting.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s the process and difficulty with swirling in the white? I’m looking to do that with a nice blue for my hot tub bar slab?
That is just the metalic green I got. Have to find the right consistency to stir so it doesn't settle out again. I stirred this morning and again at about 5pm. Going out again just before midnight to check. Will report bavk

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did go for a visit with my new buddy Joe @ spirit wood designs in Edmonton today. He had been busy and had 3 River tables on the go. They look mint! Ocean bottom look. A thinner pour of a teal for a base layer then artistically texture sand, bark scraps, and rocks in the void. Then pours with clear to fill up to level.

I didn’t take pictures. Just soaked In
The tips. I helped him hang a new sign with my bucket truck and grab a batch of epoxies to start experimenting.
Nice. Wanting to try a staggered pour like that with items in it. Sounds like Joe is a good guy to know. Lol

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s the process and difficulty with swirling in the white? I’m looking to do that with a nice blue for my hot tub bar slab?
So I swirled the epoxy at midnight last night which was about 18 hours after I poured it. I checked it this morning... about 24 hours after the pour and the swirls had mostly faded.

I was able to stir again and get the swirls back. The consistency was like a heavy syrup. Tonight the pattern was still there and it was set up quite a bit more.

Seems like about the 24 hour mark is the time to stir it with this brand anyway.

Just my 2 cents. Definately a learning curve.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I swirled the epoxy at midnight last night which was about 18 hours after I poured it. I checked it this morning... about 24 hours after the pour and the swirls had mostly faded.

I was able to stir again and get the swirls back. The consistency was like a heavy syrup. Tonight the pattern was still there and it was set up quite a bit more.

Seems like about the 24 hour mark is the time to stir it with this brand anyway.

Just my 2 cents. Definately a learning curve.

Whoo. Longer than I would have thought! That’s a sharp tip for my projects. Maybe skip 22 1/2 hours of anticipation. But I guess they do call normal double syringe tube 24h epoxy!

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m just edjumacationating myself at this point and have zero credibility.

But a summery of my new buddy Joe’s hot tip of yesterday was to use just normal 5 min epoxy out of the syringe to fill your minor cracks ect. Said it’s the wood workers dream. Ready to sand in 30 min. buy it at the dollar store for $1.50 instead of $10 at the hardware store. Joe says the cheep spunk is the bestest spunk!.
aedc39075ea26a0b330c024ab081d621.jpg

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m just edjumacationating myself at this point and have zero credibility.

But a summery of my new buddy Joe’s hot tip of yesterday was to use just normal 5 min epoxy out of the syringe to fill your minor cracks ect. Said it’s the wood workers dream. Ready to sand in 30 min. buy it at the dollar store for $1.50 instead of $10 at the hardware store. Joe says the cheep spunk is the bestest spunk!.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210225/aedc39075ea26a0b330c024ab081d621.jpg
I did try some of that on one piece that had some cracks. I think it was a little longer curing stuff and definitely paid more than buck fitty.

Thanks for the tip! I will be checking out dollar store.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
All these look awesome! I need to get my garage organized I want to try making some of these!

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok gurus need your help. Trying to finish a table project. Wood is pine. When the slabs were planed they chipped a bit near the knots. Messing around with a few uv resistant epoxies but they tend to soak into the pores and then bleed around the spot. This will make it impossible to match the top coat. What would you use to fill these spots that don’t discolor it.
6ee9063547debf4ccf297a3841e43d00.jpg

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok gurus need your help. Trying to finish a table project. Wood is pine. When the slabs were planed they chipped a bit near the knots. Messing around with a few uv resistant epoxies but they tend to soak into the pores and then bleed around the spot. This will make it impossible to match the top coat. What would you use to fill these spots that don’t discolor it. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210403/6ee9063547debf4ccf297a3841e43d00.jpg
I used a clear epoxy glue like mentioned above. Just took on the color of the wood below it.
Left it 24 hours before sanding

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok gurus need your help. Trying to finish a table project. Wood is pine. When the slabs were planed they chipped a bit near the knots. Messing around with a few uv resistant epoxies but they tend to soak into the pores and then bleed around the spot. This will make it impossible to match the top coat. What would you use to fill these spots that don’t discolor it.
6ee9063547debf4ccf297a3841e43d00.jpg
How did you make out with this TDR ?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For anyone playing with epoxy you might like to know that Norwesco sells silicon sheet material. (like a soft gasket material) The stuff we use for epoxy filling our Phantom Teth-Airs is textured but they likely have smooth stuff too. When you use it as a backing to pour epoxy it will release quite nicely. We also spray the silicon sheet material with silicon water proofing spray before use, as repeated pours seems to leach the sheet material. Our epoxy is a 2 part clear, electronic grade that resists expansion and contraction due to temperature swings.

Top Bottom