Engine stopper and clutch bolt torque.

Flyer

Reaction score
I've completed all the items in the post break in check except the clutch bolt torque and the stopper adjustment.

For the clutch torque, 92 lb.ft. How do I hold the engine from turning while I apply this torque? Very nervous about putting something out of round and causing a balance issue.

For the stopper. I can't seems to slip a feeler guage in where the manual shows. Are there any better pictures or instructions that can be shared? I think mine is a bit tighter than the .5 mm specified. Is that OK? Should I fully remove the bracket to inspect the rubber, and so I better understand the adjustment measurement by seeing it disassembled?

2015 T3 174

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I do is wedge a screwdriver or punch between the flywheel and the metal on the bottom of the belly pan. turn the clutch till the punch stops it from turning. Torque to 92. There is a clutch holder as well if you want to buy it. This works for me.

Pilsner

Reaction score
Wrap a tie strap around the clutch and hook the end to the chassis, holds solid.

Flyer

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. I used the key terms from you posts, googled and found some images, and figured out how to use the tools I have at my disposal. I think I have a strap type oil filter wrench that will do the job.

I still have the the idea that I'll remove the stopper to examine it and better understand the purpose and the instructions from BRP. Any cautions?

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big filter wrench and 2 people might work, 92 ft/lbs is a lot though, it'll probably start to slip. You might be able to use a big pry bar wrapped in a rag and wedge it next to one of the sliding pucks (on the outside). If you have an old tire tube laying around you can try wrap that around the clutch and use a ratchet strap with no hook on one end to wrap the clutch a few times to give it something to grip on, then hook the other to the running board, sinch it down and that should lock it in place without marking the clutch. Probably the best way without the tool. Might take some messing around to get it to bite hard enough though.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The clutch tool is awesome. If you doo your own clutch work it is indispensable.

Yup just buy the clutch holder tool. Available through royal distributing or recreation supply. C&t power sports also sells a clutch tool kit as an option.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've completed all the items in the post break in check except the clutch bolt torque and the stopper adjustment.

For the clutch torque, 92 lb.ft. How do I hold the engine from turning while I apply this torque? Very nervous about putting something out of round and causing a balance issue.

For the stopper. I can't seems to slip a feeler guage in where the manual shows. Are there any better pictures or instructions that can be shared? I think mine is a bit tighter than the .5 mm specified. Is that OK? Should I fully remove the bracket to inspect the rubber, and so I better understand the adjustment measurement by seeing it disassembled?

2015 T3 174

Where did ya get 92 ft/lbs from?? I'm thinking thats a little overtight.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The manual and its tagged on the clutch cover. 89-91ft/lbs I think it says. Something like that.
Haven't noticed on the clutch cover, think my manual states 88ft/lbs, start it up, rev it up to make sure the clutch engages a few times and re-torque

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
XP's (800R) are 89 then start it, spin it up to 40 and slam on the breaks 3-5 times and re torque. Its amazing how much it changes after you spin it up a few times

Top Bottom