Engine honing in Edmonton

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have an 800 etec topend in EDM at mots - been there 2 weeks now - they are waiting for some honing tool of somesort said it could be another 2 weeks - long story short who else in EDM does sled engine services

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have an 800 etec topend in EDM at mots - been there 2 weeks now - they are waiting for some honing tool of somesort said it could be another 2 weeks - long story short who else in EDM does sled engine services

You don't hone Nikasil, you replate. So not sure what they are doing, i'ed be concern.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They can hone it if there are no scratches in it, if you can catch a mark with your fingernail, it shouldn’t be honed

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can hone it if there are no scratches in it, if you can catch a mark with your fingernail, it shouldn’t be honed
Ok so - it had a 1/4 of the ring blow off the stock piston and get in there - it just chilled the top of the power valve area - I told the owner of the topend it's quite concerning - he wants to put new pistons in it and chance it on the jug after a quick hone - the whole sled is pretty clapped out so I can understand him not wanting to spend too much - so long story short - who else in EDM can I take this jug to - I want it fixed and outta my shop asap

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Motts is highly reputable, if they are waiting in a special tool there is probably a valid reason.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can, but it is not recommended. I have done hundred of these type of engines and we don't hone them, ever. Rechrome only.
Nikasil is harder then the rings, the idea is to make the rings seat into the cylinder. If you hone it the rings will wear out faster and the honing marks will not wear off. Essentially you end up with an engine with lower then normal compression.
Honing cylinders is for steel sleeves where the cylinder conform to the ring. Not the ring conform to the cylinder. The only honing of Nikasil is when after a chroming at the machine shop then never again unless it is rechromed.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should really try talking the guy into getting a new jug - especially cuz he wants to sell it right away - don't wanna leave someone with a time bomb - I know mots is a good shop for sure - my biggest problem is I have negative 10 patience - I hate waiting for things

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I should really try talking the guy into getting a new jug - especially cuz he wants to sell it right away - don't wanna leave someone with a time bomb - I know mots is a good shop for sure - my biggest problem is I have negative 10 patience - I hate waiting for things

I have a motor here I can pull the jugs off it and if there good I can give you a deal. Just got too see if my sons up for it lol

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a motor here I can pull the jugs off it and if there good I can give you a deal. Just got too see if my sons up for it lol
Let me know - I need this rig outta my shop and back on the snow like yesterday - I'll go to mots and get the wossners from them and either take the jug elsewhere or figure somesh*t out

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tom is great and everything except for getting doubled charged for some parts and having my 670 motor for 2 months - I would like to try my luck elsewhere that does the cylinder work - trying to avoid shipping stuff to mongoose machine in BC - I will if I have to tho

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tom is great and everything except for getting doubled charged for some parts and having my 670 motor for 2 months - I would like to try my luck elsewhere that does the cylinder work - trying to avoid shipping stuff to mongoose machine in BC - I will if I have to tho

Skylark metals in CGY does cylinder repair

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this isnt a very helpful post...but...Afterdark just down the road from Motts use a guy in the city and did my HD jugs, his turnaround time was decent. Maybe when you go pick up the head just pop by and ask who they use, i can't remember the name.

IMO if there is a nick or any deep burs id just bore it and go bigger or replace. A "deglazing hone" is only good if crosshatching is cleanish....just gonna be a bandaid if it scored or has any nicks.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this isnt a very helpful post...but...Afterdark just down the road from Motts use a guy in the city and did my HD jugs, his turnaround time was decent. Maybe when you go pick up the head just pop by and ask who they use, i can't remember the name.

IMO if there is a nick or any deep burs id just bore it and go bigger or replace. A "deglazing hone" is only good if crosshatching is cleanish....just gonna be a bandaid if it scored or has any nicks.
Mots said they were lookin at a 3week wait for exchange cylinders from cvtech also - I hate this year so much all kinds of snow now and my sled is f*kt too and waiting on parts - the kid overheated my car this morning- oooh I'm angry today boy I tell ya

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Mongoose regularly and generally same week turn around time. Rarely does it take longer. They might even have exchange, many times they do.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mots said they were lookin at a 3week wait for exchange cylinders from cvtech also - I hate this year so much all kinds of snow now and my sled is f*kt too and waiting on parts - the kid overheated my car this morning- oooh I'm angry today boy I tell ya

ahh one of them days lol chit, hopefully Lyle can sell ya a used good jug;)

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell us more about the overheated car?

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell us more about the overheated car?
got a new front seal put in it at my local shop - something is wrong with the crank pulley not lining up - drove to Calgary and back - kid goes to leave for work at 3am - belt sizzles off - it overheated he pulled over to let it cool down - he limps it home - I lose it on him at 10am cuz he shoulda called someone - last time he pist me off he drove it with a front driver's side tire on the rim for like 3 blocks no idea why it's Pullin funny and riding rough

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a new front seal put in it at my local shop - something is wrong with the crank pulley not lining up - drove to calgary and back - kid goes to leave for work at 3am - belt sizzles off - it overheated he pulled over to let it cool down - he limps it home - i lose it on him at 10am cuz he shoulda called someone - last time he pist me off he drove it with a front driver's side tire on the rim for like 3 blocks no idea why it's pullin funny and riding rough

ahhh ****!

Top Bottom