Enclosed trailer exterior panels

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So some of my non riveted exterior panels are not sticking to the other panel anymore. Looks like some kind of double sided tape just where they overlap. Wondering if anyone knows the best way to get the old stuff off and clean surface ready for new.

I was hoping not to take panels off as I can get an inch or 2 gap. I was going to try some gorilla or alien tape once cleaned up.

Just having a tough time removing the old.
1651100910746768897682950906903.jpg

Nypex1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So some of my non riveted exterior panels are not sticking to the other panel anymore. Looks like some kind of double sided tape just where they overlap. Wondering if anyone knows the best way to get the old stuff off and clean surface ready for new.

I was hoping not to take panels off as I can get an inch or 2 gap. I was going to try some gorilla or alien tape once cleaned up.

Just having a tough time removing the old.View attachment 255920
Ron, from Paradis Motor Sports, might know as he has repaired many trailers in the past. 780-970-4940.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a product called "SUPER-SOL" by Well-worth for removing adhesive.
Rubber gloves, soak a rag and apply, use a plastic scraper...metal scrapers scratch paint.
3M makes a panel bond tape for repairs

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 92

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a product called "SUPER-SOL" by Well-worth for removing adhesive.
Rubber gloves, soak a rag and apply, use a plastic scraper...metal scrapers scratch paint.
3M makes a panel bond tape for repairs
Thanks. Probably a body shop be the best place to find that?

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Big shout out to Ron. I called him and he gave me some tips. Think we got it the weak panels fixed up. Seems to be holding good.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the old tape was stuck to the backside of the overlap panel. Ron suggested (and he is right) that the panels should be removed to do a proper job. I had one panel in middle of each side of 28' trailer. I did not take panel off. ( Lazy azz) 🤣

I was able to get a 25mm exacto knife and slowly scrape the old tape off. Kinda like filleting a fish. Then used goo gone and let sit a bit. Scraped again until as clean as I could get it. Run a small sand block over both surfaces and then cleaned with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Got some good 3M body molding tape and put it back on. Seems to be sticking as good as new.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you . As you use trailer it would be nice to know how it worked out with a few road miles on it.

Top Bottom