Elkford Conditions.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone been out around Elkford? im guessing its pretty skinny just like all the other areas?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Anyone been out around Elkford? im guessing its pretty skinny just like all the other areas?

Sorry, I missed this one. Yes, it is skinny but had some good riding just the same. The rain yesterday has done another number on the snow. I may go up today just for a look see and find out for a fact how far up the rain went.

The video has the first day from Fernie, two weeks ago. the other shots/footage are from Elkford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCPX2G8W5nQ&list=UU48iFyhzIwXqUchGGWQ_9Cg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
An update from today south of Elkford. The rain was well above 2200m or 7200'. A very hard crust exists from the recent rain even at those elevations. It was like hero snow today but if you broke the crust sometimes the track would just bury itself because the front of the sled couldn't push through the crust to get back on top. There is a base but it is a different base this year. Different ranges have much different snow. Today, the November crust was evident about 5 cm off the ground and a 20 cm layer of weak snow above that. On top of the bottom layers was a very consolidated band of well bonded snow for 80 cm. The top crust was anywhere from 3 -10 cm depending on where we were. The top crust was very hard and crunchy and it appeared to be sitting on a layer of hoar. We probed 105-130 cm at 2200m. A compression test failed with the first tap on the November crust at the bottom. Breaking trail on the way up had lots of whumphs and cracking. Slides are evident and they are to the ground.

The FSR we were on was not icy as I thought it might be. This was an untracked road other than the wolves and the moose. Very crusty and only 15 cm in the valley bottom. On the climb on the way up the trenches were only about 30 cm so the traction was good. The most powder we found on top of the latest crust was 10 cm. Most of the area we were in only had 2 cm of fresh on top of the crust.

Not much more to tell ya'. We need a good dump and we need some settling. Might be a bad winter in some areas in the Koots.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Doug. I might be mountain biking for two weeks at Christmas if we do not get a huge couple of dumps!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We were up today for a little look. Trail was broke in above Mear Lake. I have never seen the snow so skinny up there. More rocks than I ever imagined!

Snow depth was 1.2 m in the trees with a great base. Pretty iffy unless one knows exactly where one is going. There was 30 cm of fresh on a 1" crust (I am thinking it was a sun crust and not a rain crust). The trail had enough snow on it that the T3 long track didn't heat up and I didn't use the scratchers.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The trail is broke into Smith Basin. Thanks to whoever did that nasty little deed. Probed in the first part of the last meadow and there was only 95 cm of snow (that is the least I have found all season). Lots of slides down on the east side (west facing slopes) and minimal slide action on the west side (east facing slopes). The cold has done it's number and there is lots of sugar snow.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy year to say the least, but considering how little snow there is we are finding the base to be so supportive that we are still finding some good riding.... Doug do your dance we need more snow... maybe do it three times each day for the next three days and see if its powers multiply.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Crazy year to say the least, but considering how little snow there is we are finding the base to be so supportive that we are still finding some good riding.... Doug do your dance we need more snow... maybe do it three times each day for the next three days and see if its powers multiply.

big snow will come just before Alberta's Family Day weekend...... I told Doug that a few times now, he keeps doubting me, but that's what I've ordered.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Speaking of the base, the other day we found 3 feet of sugar at 6500' in the trees. Must have been the cold weather? Sure is a different year alright. Still riding just not quite as often, and definitely not as aggressive.

TheDance is a good thought. I will have to organize that......:snow::bandance:

acm1t

Reaction score
I think burning skis is a good idea. BTW I got the chance to finally do a little bit of riding in Elkford and let me tell you I will be back!! There was no snow at all and I was shooting rocks out everytime I wanted to do a little climb but, HOLY MOLY is there some fun terrain out there. I live in Creston and will more than likely buy a club membership out there. The fact that there's a groomed trail all the way up into the good stuff is worth the 35 bucks. Can't wait to come back!! Let me know when there's 5 more feet!

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think burning skis is a good idea. BTW I got the chance to finally do a little bit of riding in Elkford and let me tell you I will be back!! There was no snow at all and I was shooting rocks out everytime I wanted to do a little climb but, HOLY MOLY is there some fun terrain out there. I live in Creston and will more than likely buy a club membership out there. The fact that there's a groomed trail all the way up into the good stuff is worth the 35 bucks. Can't wait to come back!! Let me know when there's 5 more feet!

I have trail passes at my house! send me a pm

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Yes, it is pretty skinny. I was into the head waters of the Bull River today as I have some sweet meadows with a creek running through it that my wife and I like to carve up. There are also a lot of rolling cut blocks along the head waters. There was 65 cm of snow at the deepest spots in the meadows. That is just disgusting! That is the lowest I have probed all winter!

It was a nice day for exploring but the snow wasn't deep enough to even cover the trees lying down in the bush.

Top Bottom