electric cars will get very expensive and battery costs soar

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But Nobody rides a horse to work at Ford anymore. like Tex said there is only so many places to generate power from and there is no clean power source. Just like this planet it can only support so many needs, short of a bolt of lightning I’m not sure where this power source is coming from.
Unfortunately many are naive or idealistic enough that they will deal with that question , after they prematurely destroy the existing methods we presently utilize.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But Nobody rides a horse to work at Ford anymore. like Tex said there is only so many places to generate power from and there is no clean power source. Just like this planet it can only support so many needs, short of a bolt of lightning I’m not sure where this power source is coming from.
That's right, because something better came along.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's right, because something better came along.
But as it was developing , they didn’t close all the livery stables , ban the use of horses, eliminate all industry relating to the existing methods . They allowed it be developed and as it was ,people chose to switch based on their opinion of its merits.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing will ever replace the natural aspirated V10's screaming at 20,000rpm, there's just something magical about hearing an engine fire 100,000 times a minute.

That's Music to my ears absolutely!(y)(y)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is such a flawed argument. EV get cleaner over time as the grid energy mix gets cleaner. No grid is going to get dirtier over the next 10 years.
But

90 % coal

Come on dude

What's worse, my mini cooper that's 7.6 l per 100km

Or your tesla with 90% coal fired power over the life time , including what was taken for energy to make the car , battery's , price of the unit also , ect

The big picture

You can not tell me , your car is better for the environment, with that 90% number way it stands

Mabe if it was 10 % , I could see it beating it , but not by a hole bunch

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But

90 % coal

Come on dude

What's worse, my mini cooper that's 7.6 l per 100km

Or your tesla with 90% coal fired power over the life time , including what was taken for energy to make the car , battery's , price of the unit also , ect

The big picture

You can not tell me , your car is better for the environment, with that 90% number way it stands

Mabe if it was 10 % , I could see it beating it , but not by a hole bunch

Where is 90% coal?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when they want all us folk to be ummm electronic vehicles

Where do ya think the extra power , infrastructure ect comes from

You and I both know , there is no way any place in bc has that extra load capacity

Rely and sicamous don't have natural gas , so lots of places are heated with power and 200 Amp panels are maxed already

So do you decide Heat or charge the car ???

And don’t forget they have to supply the tie line to Alberta pretty much steady as well because we’re relying on bull$hit wind and solar and phasing coal out with no real replacement

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Windmill blade rolled through town today, those are massive, had a serrated blade looked nasty.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Just thought it was a interesting video. I don’t think Electric Vehicles are the answer to all the world’s problems. The simple fact is you can’t get something for nothing. Energy can neither be created or destroyed. Therefore however you choose to store the energy it has to come from somewhere. Sure, a wind turbine doesn’t produce emissions while its running, but that wind turbine didn’t materialize out of thin air. It takes a Enormous amount of energy to make, transport construct and commission said turbine. Same with solar panels. Seems like an amazing idea to harness the sun. Ive heard it takes such a huge amount of energy to produce a solar panel that it’s unlikely to save enough emissions to offset the emissions from manufacturing it in its entire lifespan. I would imagine that similar truths go for other “green” energy sources. Hydroelectric dams produce energy by harnessing water flow emissions free. I wonder how much emissions were emitted for the entire process of making the dam. This includes every single step of the process. All the mining to get the materials required for the cement,steel, copper etc
The process of making finished materials such as concrete, steel products, copper and other metals. All the steps to then produce the actual products the dam will need such as the generators, the turbines, the steel grating for the catwalks, the steel beams and other structures, all the wiring etc. Then the actual construction project to build the dam, all the heavy equipment for the civil earth works and the cranes and cement trucks and busses and other vehicles going to and fro during the entire process. Even all the sub steps involved, such as the quarry work and other heavy equipment to get the sand and gravel that is trucked to the cement plant to make the actual concrete for the dam. Not to mention all the trucks and trains ships and what ever else was used in the whole supply chain process to procure all the things like windows, flooring, wood, switches, control panels, instrumentation stuff, guages, and everything else that is required to build a fully functional hydro electric dam. Just the way I see it, you simply dont get something for nothing.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Just thought it was a interesting video. I don’t think Electric Vehicles are the answer to all the world’s problems. The simple fact is you can’t get something for nothing. Energy can neither be created or destroyed. Therefore however you choose to store the energy it has to come from somewhere. Sure, a wind turbine doesn’t produce emissions while its running, but that wind turbine didn’t materialize out of thin air. It takes a Enormous amount of energy to make, transport construct and commission said turbine. Same with solar panels. Seems like an amazing idea to harness the sun. Ive heard it takes such a huge amount of energy to produce a solar panel that it’s unlikely to save enough emissions to offset the emissions from manufacturing it in its entire lifespan. I would imagine that similar truths go for other “green” energy sources. Hydroelectric dams produce energy by harnessing water flow emissions free. I wonder how much emissions were emitted for the entire process of making the dam. This includes every single step of the process. All the mining to get the materials required for the cement,steel, copper etc
The process of making finished materials such as concrete, steel products, copper and other metals. All the steps to then produce the actual products the dam will need such as the generators, the turbines, the steel grating for the catwalks, the steel beams and other structures, all the wiring etc. Then the actual construction project to build the dam, all the heavy equipment for the civil earth works and the cranes and cement trucks and busses and other vehicles going to and fro during the entire process. Even all the sub steps involved, such as the quarry work and other heavy equipment to get the sand and gravel that is trucked to the cement plant to make the actual concrete for the dam. Not to mention all the trucks and trains ships and what ever else was used in the whole supply chain process to procure all the things like windows, flooring, wood, switches, control panels, instrumentation stuff, guages, and everything else that is required to build a fully functional hydro electric dam. Just the way I see it, you simply dont get something for nothing.

I think you’re dead on with your suppositions ! I doubt most of these ”green planet saving” methods actually result in much of an emissions saving when you consider the whole picture .
Creates a huge number of jobs through production of components and construction , but overall , likely pretty much zero net .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you’re dead on with your suppositions ! I doubt most of these ”green planet saving” methods actually result in much of an emissions saving when you consider the whole picture .
Creates a huge number of jobs through production of components and construction , but overall , likely pretty much zero net .
And add to that that there are few, if any, renewable energy projects anywhere in the world that are financially viable without subsidies from government or surcharges on consumer invoices. They’re generally a feel good initiative for the greenies, leftists and progressives.

Top Bottom