Ecko Marine - Alberta Beach

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is sad to hear, Steve is our neighbor and our kids go to school together. I hope they are able to replace the product line and continue to stay in business.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Didn’t Honda pull the same crap back in about 2008? Wanted everything under one roof. Power equipment, power motorsports and car dealership. A lot of small town dealerships dried up and went away then. I can see Martin Equipment having a lot to do with this as well. Ever since they bought out Deerline equipment, they have had micro BRP dealerships in Mayerthorpe, Barrhead, Westlock and High Prairie, and I believe a couple other places. Ecko was right in the middle of all that and direct competition.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn’t Honda pull the same crap back in about 2008? Wanted everything under one roof. Power equipment, power motorsports and car dealership. A lot of small town dealerships dried up and went away then. I can see Martin Equipment having a lot to do with this as well. Ever since they bought out Deerline equipment, they have had micro BRP dealerships in Mayerthorpe, Barrhead, Westlock and High Prairie, and I believe a couple other places. Ecko was right in the middle of all that and direct competition.
Ya, parkland cycle lost Honda then and west pointe in the West end became a car and power sports dealer, didn't last long and back to just cars and Honda down a dealership in Stony.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. This is the way BRP is going. They want only BRP in their stores and nothing else. Store I worked at for a bit after I retired whenever someone higher up was in the store than the DM they would complain about the Husky dirt bikes on the floor even though they have no competing brand. Most of those guys are brain dead anyways.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. This is the way BRP is going. They want only BRP in their stores and nothing else. Store I worked at for a bit after I retired whenever someone higher up was in the store than the DM they would complain about the Husky dirt bikes on the floor even though they have no competing brand. Most of those guys are brain dead anyways.

That's some sound logic. Complain about your dealers selling a product you have nothing to compete against it with... If that's the case shouldn't Martin Motorsports be told not to sell various lines of boats and power equipment? Some of those factory guys are a special breed:rolleyes:

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Way things are going all over, big keep getting bigger and small get eaten up or kicked to the side. This all leads to price control and poor service but won’t matter be because you won’t have the option. Eventually a correction will come but i probably won’t be alive to see it.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's some sound logic. Complain about your dealers selling a product you have nothing to compete against it with... If that's the case shouldn't Martin Motorsports be told not to sell various lines of boats and power equipment? Some of those factory guys are a special breed:rolleyes:
I think Martins sells their boats in a seperate store don't they? I have never been in the new Edmonton store. They have a boat store in Calgary.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Way things are going all over, big keep getting bigger and small get eaten up or kicked to the side. This all leads to price control and poor service but won’t matter be because you won’t have the option. Eventually a correction will come but i probably won’t be alive to see it.

And then they wonder how foreign competitors move in and take their market share. I'm actually quite surprised there isn't a chinese snowmobile yet.

Same thing happened to the big 3 automakers in the 60's and 70's. They weren't ready for outside competition and companies like Toyota walked all over them.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And then they wonder how foreign competitors move in and take their market share. I'm actually quite surprised there isn't a chinese snowmobile yet.

Same thing happened to the big 3 automakers in the 60's and 70's. They weren't ready for outside competition and companies like Toyota walked all over them.

Ya eventually there will be no Canada, will be owned by others completely and there will be no recovering, there is not enough of the young generation that realizes the path we are on, not far from the tipping point

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya eventually there will be no Canada, will be owned by others completely and there will be no recovering, there is not enough of the young generation that realizes the path we are on, not far from the tipping point

you got that right.

what really pisses me off is that our government should be righting and steering. Instead, he keeps blowing holes in the damn hull!

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you got that right.

what really pisses me off is that our government should be righting and steering. Instead, he keeps blowing holes in the damn hull!

lol, bad part is the retard thinks he is righting the ship, we are one election away from the point of no return.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago Chopper (Dave at A&E) , myself, Marv and Byron (Bowridge) were having a couple beers in a pub at the dealer meeting and Marv said he could see the day when BRP would work it so there was a dealer In Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton only. We are seeing this happen before our eyes now. Ole Marv was a damn psychic !!
Yup, order online. Pick up at one of these warranty centers.

No competition is good

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people don't know this I would assume, but BRP dealers are signed on contractally for a 1 yr term yearly. So basically you go to the Dealer Meeting in Feb and are renewed if they choose and you choose to. This brings up the obvious question that if they tell you they want you to spend $100,000 on your showroom to meet their standards or make you buy $20,000 of new lighted outdoor signs every 5 years or even tell you that they want you to build a new building or move to a new location that suits them better then you better, or you could be terminated. Every year we would take our dealer agreement to our lawyer to read through it as it has a lot of legal gobblygook and he would look at us and ask us why we would ever sign a document like this? Passion for the product and passion for the sport. He would shake his head and witness our signatures and put his stamp on it. Building a new building or doing 6 figure renovations with no guarantee of a contract is a stupid business model. Thats one of the reasons we stepped away after 25 yrs. We could see it all coming down the pipe.
Good to see they don't just treat their customers like ****

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WRP is next.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess back in the day when Marvin was open Sundays doesn't matter in the long run to BRP. I wonder how much influence MMS had in the decision.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never dealt with Ecko but it sure sounds like BRP continues to turn its back on the mom and pop shops.
Seems like the new way of doing business for Cat also with the shuttering of T&T in Bonneyville. Sad times IMO

Top Bottom