eBikes and related things.

Dakine879

Reaction score
Remember, anything over 500W continuous (750W peak) is considered a motor vehicle under the law in AB and not a power assisted bicycle, and will require insurance and registration on public roads and land.

i'm not making a judgement call either way, just information.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember, anything over 500W continuous (750W peak) is considered a motor vehicle under the law in AB and not a power assisted bicycle, and will require insurance and registration on public roads and land.

i'm not making a judgement call either way, just information.

Lol ya ok Trudeau

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ride #13 today. Decent elevation climb (another 300m) and 20.3 km in 2 hours and 15 minutes. A great workout and interesting trails.

IMG_7283.jpeg IMG_7284.jpeg
IMG_7286.jpeg IMG_7290.jpeg

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got out yesterday for a 25 km ride, about 2 hours of ride time, still too much snow on most good trails
25c9a42da819c8f8208b375eb30d62d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you dont mind me asking. Where did you purchase your SONDORS from? Is the weight of it a concern at 80lbs? Price? Thanks

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking. Where did you purchase your SONDORS from? Is the weight of it a concern at 80lbs? Price? Thanks

Got it right from the manufacturer. It rides very stable and I like the fact it’s got some mass, stays very planted on the trail. Weight doesn’t seem to be an issue until getting into some tight single track stuff. Not that it can’t do whatever trail you throw at it, it just takes a bit more to do it. I made a lot of upgrades to it to make it more capable but it was a good base to start a build

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a trail I want to try the next time I’m in the area with the family.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dang Namit,,, another awesome thread of getting out there...

Thanks for sharing all...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We've walked the Kettle Valley Rail Trail, pretty cool. Would be way more fun on a bike, considering it's dead flat the whole way.
There are sections that are 2 to 2.5 % grade. A couple of years ago with our old bikes, we came up from Naramata and we had to pedal all the way. It was a real grunt. The best part was going back to the truck as we didn’t have to pedal once. It was all down hill all the way to the truck.

With the eBikes, it is a breeze and a real treat. 20 years after the big fire, the game is returning which was nice to see. We saw (up very close) a mule deer, chipmunks, pica, spruce grouse, squirrels, and ground squirrels. All the little critters, were begging for hand outs. There was also some bear and moose scat.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Close to snow time but I’ve had a project on the go for a week.
The knees are hurting on the treadmill. I’ve been using the treadmill every fall/winter since 2008.
Time to change it up and go with my old wind trainer.
Needed some modifications for the eBike but I gotter done. Front axle support needed some welding on the wind trainer, the rear tire/tube needed changing (the blue is an actual “wind trainer” tire and I have never used one of them before but the guy at the bike shop up-sold me because of the danger of over heating and a blow out??), and I had to modify the bottom bracket support.
Works good and I will get sessions going tomorrow.
IMG_8751.jpg IMG_8752.jpg
IMG_8753.jpg IMG_8754.jpg

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tag Oh Rama
Just looking too see whats out there
20231118_132010.jpg

Or the husky
20231118_132142.jpg

Also looking around my freinds shop too see what he's got on the go... Giant,, livi ,,, Marin...
A few other brands...

Still game planning...

Thanks for sharing all...

Don

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got me a bike trix juggernaut fs pro. 1000w. They found it in the back room. It was unaccounted for in inventory and I got over $1000 off. Pretty sick bike for under four grand.

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpeg
    IMG_4183.jpeg
    791.7 KB · Views: 56

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, been looking at a few units in my spare time,,, me too f.s...

My bike shop friend handles the Giant brand,,, hes responsible for selling me my aluminum xtc H-assist
20231119_131949.jpg

He has a twin too this in his shop of E-power in a hard tail at $2xxx plus x

Looking is all vvv
Screenshot_20231121-122332_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hard-tail mind you,,, I am a board-line 50/50 slab too grit rider,,, that pretty much puts me in the f.s. catagory for an all rounder...

Correct,,, I could go ht,,, but for a bit more a person """does""" reap the reward of full suspension and that plush ride """if""" the terrain turns nasty...

Which it does once in awhile...
Id only guess that a e-b would ( benifit ) me more in the off grind mountain climbs across our Rocky Mountain Range...

South of Calgary too Ft Nelson,,,, even if I'm just trail riding...
20230513_130611.jpg

^^^ This annual Ram Mountain climb is hard on my 60 year old oil patch body,,, but I require the punishment for being that doe-boy over the years...
20230513_130217.jpg

Im in fairly good shape like piano-dude less brain damage,,, hard of hearing,,, half worn down back,,, pretty sure the next latest and greatest health affect is just around the corner...

Be dammed if my kness and thick skull aren't in good shape of all things... lol...

I test road a f.s. e-bike last year on our off road lake trails of dirt,,, it scared the crap out of me even though I was tapping it kool and going slow...

I pretty much turned off the e-system since it felt like too much on the climbs,,, my thought power went from relaxing pedal-bike ride too dirt-bike mode...

Nothing wrong with that,,, just a strange feeling is all...

Im sure that folks from the pedal bike catagory that have transitioned over too e-bike """might""" of experienced something similar to this...

Kind-a like going from all in human efforts with concentration too,,, full on consenteration/ with alot-less human efforts...

Shadow effect maybe...

Don't know...

Any ways,,, I see more and more e-bikes every year,,, that puts me on the fence,,, do I need something like this """or""" want it...

Leaves me wondering if this is the route...

Standard bike for now since I'm ok with the pace I'm setting,,, fairly dialed in on what terrain and climbs work for me,,, not scared too push my limits once in awhile... limited once in awhile that is...

A e-bike would definitely open the door too a broad'er a-ray of opportunities in a different type of terrain and the characteristics of how """Someone""" rides...

My biggest fear is,,, a e-bike would pretty much shut down my crank-bike world,,, how could a person ever return too a standard bike after owning a e-bike...
20210724_143253.jpg

Coming from a fellow hiker too mtb,,, via e-assist...

I was really hoping too go from a standard Pedal bike too the electric drone that packs humans...

Ha

Thanks again for chime-ing in on this thread gang ...

It nice seeing and getting the hart felt low-down from local folks such as your selves,,, it truely means alot...

Waaaaay closer too home then any youtube videos offer...

Indepth/ informative id say...

Thanks again all

Don from Lacombe Albetra

Last edited:
Top Bottom