Eagles Accident

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, there was a group of us that were in Sicamous over the christmas break, and we rode Owls Head the one day. When back in the parking lot, we were talking to the parking lot attendant, and his CB Radio went off. Word had it a guy broke his back. As time went on, it was announced that Search and Rescue were un-able to rescue the fellow out that night, and he would have to spend the night. Hearing that made a person feel sick. We then asked if the guy had someone up there with him to stay the night, and was told he did. All i want to know now, is if there was a happy ending to this story, and if he was rescued safely the next morning.

Thanks.

Frenchie

Reaction score
Yes it was a happy ending, that wounded guy was very happy to see the chopper at 7:30AM the next morning! Thanks a bunch to the guys that came up with extra equipment and food (Dave and Kyle Micku from TSS and Jason Ribbi from EVL) and all the others that stayed for the night. we could not have asked for a better team we were almost getting comfy up there. By midnight we had Jay bring a chainsaw and within the next hour we had a crapload of wood for the night!
I have to say the wounded guy was kinda lucky in his bad luck for the good weather up there that night because it would have been a whole different story if it snowed or if temps dropped...
Oh, and we all felt sick knowing the chopper wasn't coming, the first distress call (sent by Spot) was received at 1:38PM on a bluebird day...

Cheers

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it was a happy ending, that wounded guy was very happy to see the chopper at 7:30AM the next morning! Thanks a bunch to the guys that came up with extra equipment and food (Dave and Kyle Micku from TSS and Jason Ribbi from EVL) and all the others that stayed for the night. we could not have asked for a better team we were almost getting comfy up there. By midnight we had Jay bring a chainsaw and within the next hour we had a crapload of wood for the night!
I have to say the wounded guy was kinda lucky in his bad luck for the good weather up there that night because it would have been a whole different story if it snowed or if temps dropped...
Oh, and we all felt sick knowing the chopper wasn't coming, the first distress call (sent by Spot) was received at 1:38PM on a bluebird day...

Cheers

Glad to hear somewhat worked out , are you using spot or spot 2

Flange99

Reaction score

Cheers

Seems like plenty of time for S&R to mobilize and get in and out. What was their reason for not making it until morning?

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what i heard while there, was there was to much cloud cover in the valley to go. I dunno how true that is. Thanks for the update and for all that helped this individual out. Glad it had a happy ending.

Frenchie

Reaction score
Glad to hear somewhat worked out , are you using spot or spot 2

Sorry I don't know it wasn't mine, I can try and find out.

Seems like plenty of time for S&R to mobilize and get in and out. What was their reason for not making it until morning?

There was an other bad accident (severe face injury from a sled ski finding its way inside a helmet) at Queest the same day so that would have taken some time from them. Seems like there is a bunch of politics involved in S&R. There are BC regulations that prevent the S&R from flying after sunset. They called back at around 4PM saying it was too dark.

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a STARS chopper guy in Grande Prairie at one of our sled club meetings,he mentioned that they have night vision goggles now so they can
land at night or in bad weather.
Support your local S&R thats how they get funding to get you out of a bad situation.
Great to hear you guys stayed with the guy and kept him warm all night.
I ride with a group like that,gotta look out for your buddies and buddies to be:beer:

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a name for this guy. Have a friend from Calgary that was out there over the holidays and haven't been able to get a hold of him in the last couple of days. He rides a turbo nitro from Walt Healey with a BUNCH of mods done it. Hopefully it's not him, but has told me before that Frenchie and Rene St. Onge are friends of his and just a little concerned for him. Thanks in advance guys.

Frenchie

Reaction score
It wasn't Chad Stillin if thats who you are referring to (he doesn't return my calls either lol), the injured was a guy from Fort St. John, I believe his name was Kevin and he rode an XP...

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It wasn't Chad Stillin if thats who you are referring to (he doesn't return my calls either lol), the injured was a guy from Fort St. John, I believe his name was Kevin and he rode an XP...
LOL...that's exactly who I was thinking about....glad to hear it's not and wish the SOB would give me a call though.:beer::d

Top Bottom