E-Tec Running way too rich?

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled a plug out of my 12' 154 summit E-tec and it is JET black. Im thinking its running way too Fat right? It runs good but seems to be hard on Fuel. However it seems to me when your in 4 feet of fresh powder to the pin all day, it's probably going to burn a bit of Fuel. Just wondering If anyone has any info on this Subject. Can the dealer change the program and lean it out a bit? Just over the phone they said that its Normal.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you check the plug after a WOT run? Or was it idling for a bit? This will make a big difference in plug color. Does it burn alot of fuel. Is it out of its break in period?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also if you ride in low elevation alot it is going to run fat. Or as mentioned, when did you check the plug. Even riding down from elevation to a low elevation staging area will only take a few moments to make a plug look bad.

There is apparently an update for the '12, but I thought it was for the Rave performance, it could also be for a low elevation map flash which will clean up the map at low elevation.

A fuel controler box for the etec's will be available in the very near future.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a couple new flashes available for the 2012 etec 800's for this fall that have been recently released. They are for engine hesitation or cutting out at low altitude and as well there is a bulletin for the rave valve piston nuts coming loose which can throw a code or create an engine cut out symptom. All are warranty covered at no charge to the customer. Dealers will probably start calling customers as soon as the new sleds are out of the shops. BRP has also announced they have extended the warranty period on exhaust temperature sensors to 5years or 8000 kms. This was released today.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got the rave update on my 12 freeride and took in out for a small rip today. Couldnt really tell a difference in the way it was running but the etec always has ran solid for me.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks for the response. I never checked it after a nice hard pull so i will have to do that. Also I didn't summerize it either because I like to start it up every few weeks and smell some smoke. I had also better look into these updates you speak of with the RAVE valves( the last thing I want is a broken down sled after driving 1000 kms to ride.)

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI I did check the plug color after some good hard pulls and its a nice tan color so I guess the ol trail blackens them up fairly quick

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a couple new flashes available for the 2012 etec 800's for this fall that have been recently released. They are for engine hesitation or cutting out at low altitude and as well there is a bulletin for the rave valve piston nuts coming loose which can throw a code or create an engine cut out symptom. All are warranty covered at no charge to the customer. Dealers will probably start calling customers as soon as the new sleds are out of the shops. BRP has also announced they have extended the warranty period on exhaust temperature sensors to 5years or 8000 kms. This was released today.

Got the letter for the extended warranty on the sensor today. Cool thing was that a pretty cool platinum owmers shirt came with it.:d

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also if you ride in low elevation alot it is going to run fat. Or as mentioned, when did you check the plug. Even riding down from elevation to a low elevation staging area will only take a few moments to make a plug look bad.

There is apparently an update for the '12, but I thought it was for the Rave performance, it could also be for a low elevation map flash which will clean up the map at low elevation.

A fuel controler box for the etec's will be available in the very near future.

The low elev re flash.....is it official? My dealer looked at me like I was an alien. And the rave valve linere-route. They never heard of it.

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
I have gotten the letter about the EGT sensor & how it may set of an engine light & has 5 yr warranty due to emission but I have not recieved anything about the Rave Valve problem or low altitute problem. I rarely drive my sled on the flatlands but I do feal better knowing that it runs great before I go to the mountains for 2 weeks at a time. I did ride it a few weeks ago & it ran great. I have not had a low altitude problem but I did have the engine light go off & both times involved rave valves. I took it in twice for the problem & they took the rave valves apart & reassembled the first time, second time the same problem, although sled still ran ok both times but not nearly the same torque as before break in, but second time they said it was a faulty check valve in the rave system. They claim my sled is the only one they have seen with this problem. I did not get a chance to ride it since last fix until a few weeks ago & it seems to pull pretty good again but I don't know if it pulls as hard as it did the first two days, in the mountains, from new, it surprised me, gave my arms a beating like no other & made the others I was with say holy crap!!!! My first two rides where the best on the sled & I was really hoping for the crazy its broke in power increase that was suppose to be very noticeable.
Either way I still love the 12' Doo but I want it to scare me again & every ride after
ps: my engine never cutout but did lack pre breakin power & torque

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have gotten the letter about the EGT sensor & how it may set of an engine light & has 5 yr warranty due to emission but I have not recieved anything about the Rave Valve problem or low altitute problem. I rarely drive my sled on the flatlands but I do feal better knowing that it runs great before I go to the mountains for 2 weeks at a time. I did ride it a few weeks ago & it ran great. I have not had a low altitude problem but I did have the engine light go off & both times involved rave valves. I took it in twice for the problem & they took the rave valves apart & reassembled the first time, second time the same problem, although sled still ran ok both times but not nearly the same torque as before break in, but second time they said it was a faulty check valve in the rave system. They claim my sled is the only one they have seen with this problem. I did not get a chance to ride it since last fix until a few weeks ago & it seems to pull pretty good again but I don't know if it pulls as hard as it did the first two days, in the mountains, from new, it surprised me, gave my arms a beating like no other & made the others I was with say holy crap!!!! My first two rides where the best on the sled & I was really hoping for the crazy its broke in power increase that was suppose to be very noticeable.
Either way I still love the 12' Doo but I want it to scare me again & every ride after
ps: my engine never cutout but did lack pre breakin power & torque

You won't get a letter on the rave problem. Contact your dealer for the warranty bulletins out on the 2012 for rave concerns.

sledrat403

Reaction score
Got the letter for the extended warranty on the sensor today. Cool thing was that a pretty cool platinum owmers shirt came with it.:d

I just bought an exhaust temperature sensor from the dealer last week - started my sled 2 weeks ago and the check engine light came on. 2011 etec that is now off the engine warranty. Does this extended warranty cover 2011 etecs?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought an exhaust temperature sensor from the dealer last week - started my sled 2 weeks ago and the check engine light came on. 2011 etec that is now off the engine warranty. Does this extended warranty cover 2011 etecs?
The letter I got only refers to 2012 models. Your 11 should still be on warranty. Sno Pro will comment as he is in the buisness and knows the in and outs.

Top Bottom