duromax fuel economy

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what upgrades or mods has anyone done that improves the duromax fuel economy? the sleds and trailer i pull the horse power is fine,would like to improve the fuel economy.any suggestions

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
what year you have?

i have an 05... dont matter what i doo i cant seem to improve mileage.

seen some older than 05 duramaxs have great success on mileage but not so much on the newer duramax's

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a diesel, number one would be a chip or programmer. Set it to fuel save mode. Second, an intake. The easier you can get air in, the more power you free up. Same goes for an exhaust.

BTW, whats your average economy on your Duramax? My family's gets 16L-100km.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine is a 07 duromax,i get about 19l/100kmh,would the programmer and exhaust be the first things to try,thanks for any feed back

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wich 07 though is the question?? the nw lmm or lbz? if it is lmm then you should really start at doing a programmer w/dpf delete you can keep the stock intake for now as it does flow pretty good air but seriously get a programmer capable of deleting your egr and take that thing rite out of there it livens your truck rite up and improves the mileage. now rember it is winter and your truck wont get the same economy it does in the summer I dont know how mnay people come through the door of my shop and say" My vehicle isnt getting the fuel economy its supposed to" duh it is the winter. but if it is the lbz do a good programmer edge is kinda hard on the trannies of the chevs and you really cant turn them up as much as you can with a ppe or diablosport programmer and I have tested these this is my 4 duramax that has been done up that i have played with stuff on. but the lbz is real good with just chip intake and exhaust but if you do exhaust do full turbo back not down pipe back and also if you do intake do the afe turbo inlet and intercooler pipe and it does miracles not only for power and towing and keeping the temps down but really does good work on your fuel economy. my new lmm used to get 450 km on tank with factory emmisions with everything off I was at 750-800 with only 35000 km's on truck and still getting better. pm me if you have ay questions

Toxic Fingers

Reaction score
Gas and Diesel in Winter Grade will not make as much power as Summer Fuel due to the fact it has to be reformulated to make sure your Vehicle will start and the fuel will not Jell in your fuel line on the Cold Winter days. There isn`t as much BTU per pound of fuel meaning there for not as much Heat or Power can be created out of it. Less power from the fuel means you will have to step on the Gas petal a little more than usual to get up to and maintain the same speed. Rule of thumb is approx 2 to 4 miles less to the gallon using a Winter fuel reguardless if it`s Diesel or Gasoline.

highlandrider

Reaction score
Had a 03 duramax with the Bullydog triple dog programmer and got 9.5 l/100 km on highway empty in performance mode and about 18 l/100 km towing a 7500 lb rv in economy mode.
My current 07 lbz did not gain anything with the bullydog programmer.
Stock highway about 15 l/100 km and stock towing about 23 l/100 km.
Got a custom program from torkwrench tuning in Grande Prairie and now get about 12 l/100 highway empty and 18 l/100 towing same rv. I always tow in 5th gear, 6th gear the mileage really sucks.

That is all summer mileages. Just got back from Dallas towing the 7500 lb 5th wheel and got 21.5 l/100, about 2000 km of that was in 4wd and of course winter fuel.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a diesel, number one would be a chip or programmer. Set it to fuel save mode. Second, an intake. The easier you can get air in, the more power you free up. Same goes for an exhaust.

BTW, whats your average economy on your Duramax? My family's gets 16L-100km.

I've got an '06 Dmax w/ Edge Juice w/ Attitude and it gets better mileage on level 3. Just sayin...

Winter fuel, I lose a couple MPG. Everything else totally depends on conditions and how I drive it. Only cracked 20mpg on my best day.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Running a 2007 LBZ w/ The Edge juice w/Attitude.

Drove to Fernie BC from Edmonton this past weekend (skiing no trailer) with the unit set to Economy ... 627km used 81.3 liters = 12.97 liters/100km. I drive at 125kmph.

I'm very happy with the mileage...truck was packed with gear, 4 of us in it against a head wind the likes I've never seen.

The Driving Computer gets messed up after of these trips i don't tow on:

Range.jpg

darkday

Reaction score
Had a 03 duramax with the Bullydog triple dog programmer and got 9.5 l/100 km on highway empty in performance mode and about 18 l/100 km towing a 7500 lb rv in economy mode.
My current 07 lbz did not gain anything with the bullydog programmer.
Stock highway about 15 l/100 km and stock towing about 23 l/100 km.
Got a custom program from torkwrench tuning in Grande Prairie and now get about 12 l/100 highway empty and 18 l/100 towing same rv. I always tow in 5th gear, 6th gear the mileage really sucks.

That is all summer mileages. Just got back from Dallas towing the 7500 lb 5th wheel and got 21.5 l/100, about 2000 km of that was in 4wd and of course winter fuel.

I have a 04 with a bullydog as well, really like the added power and better mileage. one thing though when you put a tune on it you can no longer use the trucks computer to calculate mileage, the tune screws it up. the best way is reset kms and fill up then next fill record liters vs kms and hand calculate mpg. BTW i am getting 18mpg set on economy, hand calculated using winter fuel. don't know summer mileage yet as i just got the bullydog.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a 2009 lmm ppe chip got it on stage 3 and 5 inch stright pipe it get way better fuel economy now like the rest of the people said winter u well lose some but still better than stock tho...and the power well make u :d

markaug

Reaction score
2007 LBZ - 4" down pipe back, PPE set at level 2, 18" DuraTrac 275/70/18's levelled getting anywhere from 17-20 MPG on winter fuel with cruise set at 65MPH. 100 mile round trip daily commute. Was getting 19-22 MPG on summer fuel with Toyo M/T 265/75/16. All numbers hand calculated.

05Cummins

Reaction score
Dont forget that on some of the older Dmax units shiming the relief valve can help out alot.

If the relief is old and a bit weak it can seep your Rail pressure and then it wont atomize the fuel properly and that will give an incomplete burn.

I like the PPE for the Dmax then the Diablo sport

The ultimate number one is EFI live but you have to be pretty dedicated to go thru buying it and programing and or having a guy tune it for you.

If you go thru the EFI live route get it on a 5 position switch with two milage tunes and two tow tunes if milage is what your looking for and one performance tune or one winter tune if your tuner knows what he is doing.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres some good advice here.

Don't bother with the air filter on a Dmax. It's fine. Dodges gain with an aftermarket one, you likely wont.

Delete the DPF and get a tune. If you can use some restraint, you may find that you get better mileage on the bigger/ biggest tune. Beware that your trans will not appreciate it if you abuse it with a big tune.

Good luck.

I had my truck tuned in Sherwood Park with EFI Live, PM me for details.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Intakes can reduce intake tempurature but with boosted vehicles it can draw dirt through the filter easier. I'd stick with a paper element, some aftermarket intakes come with paper filters.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct. Some performance guys claim more. 95 percent of the people out there are fine with the stock intake.

That's what i still run is stock intake and it works fine.I think i am pushing around 480 to 500 mark.

Top Bottom