Docks- question for people who own lake property

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We recently bought a place on a lake and are in need of a dock setup. What brand of dock did you buy? Pros and cons? Best dock for the money. Thank you

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I've dug into this extensively because I just bought 32 feet to replace my old and dying dock.
A couple of questions need answered first.
1. Is the lake bottom soft, sand or rocky
2. Does the lake get waves 2' - 3' or more.
3. Does the water level change a lot over the season (floating).
4 How will you be putting the dock in.

I'm purchasing Shoremaster from Martin West, there guy is extremely knowledgable and pricing was more than fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I just bought one of these yesterday.

Amphi-Dock | The Last Dock You'll Ever Need

2 X 10' double float sections and a 10' land ramp with screw posts and all hardware for $3K. fully modular and can add on as required.

I looked at the EZ dock system but it was a little spendier and only available in 40" or 60" width, mine is 48 & 50". Also for foam filled sections they are awfully heavy.
Claudio seems like a down to earth fellow and is local to Edmonton (docks are built in Stettler) the ease of launching & pulling was what sold me, I don't have to pull mine but when it's that easy why not.

We recently bought a place on a lake and are in need of a dock setup. What brand of dock did you buy? Pros and cons? Best dock for the money. Thank you

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

I looked at floating docks. Two problems for me.
1. Pigeon Lake is to windy and waves will drag floating docks (in my area)
2. We have to pull docks at winter and it just doesn't work for floating docks. End result is I have to spend way more $$$ than I want to.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm very sheltered where I am, but with the auger post anchors it shouldn't drag at all, if anything maybe just add a few extra posts, and as for pulling it out that is one of the advantages to this system, unscrew the posts and roll it out using a quad/garden tractor or your kids.....

The dock attaches to the posts using a tube & clamp scaffold clamp so it can be adjusted to fluctuating water levels, a problem I think they have solved in Wabamun.

Now that said I've just bought this and have no experience with it yet, but it seemed the best bang for the buck in an easy to use set up.
It's being delivered to my office on the south side today but I'm not home until Saturday.

I looked at floating docks. Two problems for me.
1. Pigeon Lake is to windy and waves will drag floating docks (in my area)
2. We have to pull docks at winter and it just doesn't work for floating docks. End result is I have to spend way more $$$ than I want to.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I've just bought this and have no experience with it yet, but it seemed the best bang for the buck in an easy to use set up.
It's being delivered to my office on the south side today but I'm not home until Saturday.

I spoke with a couple Mfg at the boat show and they were familiar with Pigeon and my general location....they both recommended me not having a float for my usage. Your lake, it's called GBCA Lake if I'm not mistaken, doesn't get the same weather as we do.
Once you've installed it post some photos.
I'm still 2 weeks away from putting mine in.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'll provide a review.....lol

Being modular when the other GBCA folks try to bogart my dock I can just tell them to buy their own section and attach it on, may be the beginning of the GBCA marina

I spoke with a couple Mfg at the boat show and they were familiar with Pigeon and my general location....they both recommended me not having a float for my usage. Your lake, it's called GBCA Lake if I'm not mistaken, doesn't get the same weather as we do.
Once you've installed it post some photos.
I'm still 2 weeks away from putting mine in.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll provide a review.....lol

Being modular when the other GBCA folks try to bogart my dock I can just tell them to buy their own section and attach it on, may be the beginning of the GBCA marina

That bay doesn't know what's coming.......

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at these. Seem a very value

2 X 10' double float sections and a 10' land ramp with screw posts and all hardware for $3K. fully modular and can add on as required.

I looked at the EZ dock system but it was a little spendier and only available in 40" or 60" width, mine is 48 & 50". Also for foam filled sections they are awfully heavy.
Claudio seems like a down to earth fellow and is local to Edmonton (docks are built in Stettler) the ease of launching & pulling was what sold me, I don't have to pull mine but when it's that easy why not.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I will let you know how it goes on Saturday... He included in the invoice a 10 year replacement warranty on all parts, and the mill he gets the lumber from offers a 20 year replacement on the PT lumber.

I like the fact that you can go to their website and actually price the chit out without having to email inquire with all your contact info, and some may not consider the guy very professional as far as the sales industry goes, there were a few chits and f-bombs in the conversation but he's a straight shooter. was suggesting I just buy the install kits and use my own dock sections to save $$$$, it was my wife who finally said fawk that no retro-fit just buy the complete set-up. If it shows up as advertised and is as easy to use as it looks I think it is great value for the $$$$..... most times simple is best.

I was looking at these. Seem a very value

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have custom made posts, they have two telescoping pipe and have nuts welded to the larger diameter pipe and a bolt tightens to the inside pipe for adjustability. The top of the inside pipe has a u shape saddle, and the bottom of the post has a disk from a harrow. We have been using these since.... 1971? The dock is 2x6s that are about 10-12 ft long, with 5/4x6" boards across the lengths. the 2x6s are staggard so they fit side by side in the saddles and a pin is put thew the 2x6s and saddles. this system for us works great, is stable and has lasted a long time. neighbors have purchased systems and other home made systems and are always crap. So easy to raise this dock and lower it to match lake height. super easy to install with 2 people and i can install it my self if need be.

here is the best pic i have of the dock stacked for winter, and you can kind of see the posts by the rock pile.

Attachments

• 344_30245038947_1834_n.jpg
    344_30245038947_1834_n.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there if anyone is interested.

I sell a 4 X 10 All Aluminum Dock that's simple and works great. It weighs 85 lbs a section and everything is welded so no floating boards! The legs are adjustable from 28" to 48".

It usually sells for $785.00 + GST a section but the Snow and Mud crowd can have it for $775 all in. If your interested please call or email me. :beer:

Attachments

• Dock Pictures #1.JPG
    Dock Pictures #1.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Dock Pictures #2.JPG
    Dock Pictures #2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Dock Pictures #3.JPG
    Dock Pictures #3.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Dock Pictures #4.JPG
    Dock Pictures #4.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Dock Pictures #6.JPG
    Dock Pictures #6.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 134

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
That's a great set up at a reasonable price.... But needs longer legs. And with the plates on the bottom in the loon chit bottom that is wabamun you would never pull them back out

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could have 4x8 sheets for feet and they would still sink in the lakes of Alberta. Those look about the same size as our shore masters. Definetly takes some heavy lifting getting them out of the loon poop lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
You could have 4x8 sheets for feet and they would still sink in the lakes of Alberta. Those look about the same size as our shore masters. Definetly takes some heavy lifting getting them out of the loon poop lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

In wab it's hard just to pull out a strait pole..... A foot like that would make it close to impossible. And I know mr. Sledderdoc pushes his posts better than 10' so the 48" may not do the truck me thinks

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a great set up at a reasonable price.... But needs longer legs. And with the plates on the bottom in the loon chit bottom that is wabamun you would never pull them back out

Thanks,

We have a deep water leg option so you have more adjust-ability and the pads work surprisingly well, but yes our lakes are pretty soft. These work great where you can't roll in the big dock sections and you can set them up with only two people.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The amphi-dock is a pretty slick system. I rolled it from my garage to the shoreline, installed 4 bolts and rolled her into the water.

Because my shoreline is elevated I had an issue with the first barrel sitting low but the scaffold clamp system is the cats azz, ratchet strap from the dock platform to the top of the post raise the platform and pound in the clamp. slick as snot.

Was a 45 min install but now that I know what I'm doing it would be under 10 min. I highly recommend the auger tips for the aluminum poles on any dock, push them down then give 7-10 turns with a strap wrench and she is SOLID.

The only thing I would change is to relocate the poles to the inside of the dock, They were easy to cover using pipe insulation but I would prefer them to be inset, shouldn't be a big deal to re-configure.

All in all, quality is top notch, portability is awesome, ease of install is as good or better than expected, and with the clamp system she doesn't even feel like a floating dock. I would recommend this system.

dock1.jpg dock2.jpg

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have all new floe alum dock and I love it yes it's pricey but worth it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 52

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The amphi-dock is a pretty slick system. I rolled it from my garage to the shoreline, installed 4 bolts and rolled her into the water.

Because my shoreline is elevated I had an issue with the first barrel sitting low but the scaffold clamp system is the cats azz, ratchet strap from the dock platform to the top of the post raise the platform and pound in the clamp. slick as snot.

Was a 45 min install but now that I know what I'm doing it would be under 10 min. I highly recommend the auger tips for the aluminum poles on any dock, push them down then give 7-10 turns with a strap wrench and she is SOLID.

The only thing I would change is to relocate the poles to the inside of the dock, They were easy to cover using pipe insulation but I would prefer them to be inset, shouldn't be a big deal to re-configure.

All in all, quality is top notch, portability is awesome, ease of install is as good or better than expected, and with the clamp system she doesn't even feel like a floating dock. I would recommend this system.

View attachment 171178View attachment 171179

Be careful on the thin ice.....hate to see you fall in.

Top Bottom