DIY Spray Foam Kits

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to add some spray foam to the interior roof of a sea can once the weather warms up. Does anyone have experience with the DIY kits, do they work well enough? Froth Pak, Touch N’ Foam, Tiger Foam…

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to add some spray foam to the interior roof of a sea can once the weather warms up. Does anyone have experience with the DIY kits, do they work well enough? Froth Pak, Touch N’ Foam, Tiger Foam…

At work we use Froth pak and Tiger foam. Both work really good and seem to do there jobs good. We use them on the exterior of the floors on wash cabinets for hydro vacs. So the see some pretty ugly conditions and stay stuck on. And we don’t bother roughing up the paint and it still sticks

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are better off to get a spray foam company and get it done by them. It's approx $1.20/sq ft/inch, for 2lbs closed cell. Or they might have a min trip charge of $550.00??? depending on the size of the can.
Make sure you call a few companies, as everyone's min trip charge varies, but the product is all the same. With the exception of different colors, for each manufacturer of the resin

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used the C-Tire kit. Watched a few videos, couple minutes of practice and Voula! I thought it worked very well. Temperature of the containers was key. I had them sitting in a tub of warm water.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used one of those kits to do the rim joist in my house, worked just fine. As was said, chemical temp is key (i think 25-30C?) I did it in the late summer/early fall, was HAF.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are better off to get a spray foam company and get it done by them. It's approx $1.20/sq ft/inch, for 2lbs closed cell. Or they might have a min trip charge of $550.00??? depending on the size of the can.
Make sure you call a few companies, as everyone's min trip charge varies, but the product is all the same. With the exception of different colors, for each manufacturer of the resin
Would that be a relatively accurate price for an entire building as well? Roughly $3/sq foot for 2.5” sprayed inside a stud wall?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would that be a relatively accurate price for an entire building as well? Roughly $3/sq foot for 2.5” sprayed inside a stud wall?
Depending on the amount of footage you have, yes it would be a good number to go with.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drywall and foam do you need a vapour barrier ?
If you use 1/2lbs yes.
2lbs creates it's own vapor barrier within a 1/2 inch of forming and continues to until fully cured. It is recommended that you still vapor barrier before drywall, so your stud faces don't transfer the cold thru thermal transfer (some foam and drywall companies, feel that this step is not needed.) Here in Canada, I feel it is needed. When you do your acoustical sealant and vapor barrier, you should slice the poly at every foamed cavity. So your not running a double vapor barrier.
I have personally sprayed attic's with no poly and directly to the drywall for a 3 inch thickness and then blew a R40 loose fill on top.
Hope this helps

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
<snip>
I have personally sprayed attic's with no poly and directly to the drywall for a 3 inch thickness and then blew a R40 loose fill on top.
Hope this helps

Not too wintery here so I'll spray it and add when energy costs warrant it.

How much per sq ft

just watching the news, those farmers in Ukraine have nicer tractors than here

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The froth packs are good, Mike. But having it done from a proper rig, for about the same is better.
Do you know of anyone that has a rig in the Westlock -> Slave Lake area? We've purchased a cabin, it's unfinished and I'm trying to figure out the best way to insulate (I'll call you this week too) just doing the math on the sq ft that needs to be covered

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drywall and foam do you need a vapour barrier ?
When we did our ceiling 4 yrs ago they put up drywall and no vapor barrier and 3.5'' of foam so far so good. If we were to do again i think I would vapor barrier it.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you know of anyone that has a rig in the Westlock -> Slave Lake area? We've purchased a cabin, it's unfinished and I'm trying to figure out the best way to insulate (I'll call you this week too) just doing the math on the sq ft that needs to be covered
Give me a call, during the day/ early evening and I'll get you set up. I'll also do my best to answer your questions

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When we did our ceiling 4 yrs ago they put up drywall and no vapor barrier and 3.5'' of foam so far so good. If we were to do again i think I would vapor barrier it.
Being an attic space and not a wall cavity, putting up a vapor barrier. Would be a waste of time and money. Meaning..... there would be no benefit or disadvantage of doing this. You are better off with the system you have now.

Top Bottom