Ditch banging in alberta

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I was just wondering what the rules were for ditch banging around alberta. I heard in northern alberta the rc's don't bug you. What about southern alberta (in particular Cochrane) wondering if they give sledders hard times. Just want to piss around in the ditch between trip(something to do). Any advice or feedback is appreciated.
Thanks, Altaredneck

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not too sure, I dont think theres anything wrong with it, ive never been given a hard time. And hey, for every mile of road theres 2 miles of ditch :)

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello All, I was just wondering what the rules were for ditch banging around alberta. I heard in northern alberta the rc's don't bug you. What about southern alberta (in particular Cochrane) wondering if they give sledders hard times. Just want to piss around in the ditch between trip(something to do). Any advice or feedback is appreciated.
Thanks, Altaredneck

I have been doing it for 15 years now. Never ever had a problem.Been asked for insurance and registration.That is it.I was out on dec 8. Went from Chestermere lake up to Strathmore, saw two cops doing raidar in the middle and the one waved at me. The other just looked over.That was it.I should have stopped and asked how fast i was going.I road right into town.....to my buddy's house.Peace officer lives on the corner buy him. I parked my sled and left it on the street......Legal or not never had a problem.I think if you dont do stupid things you wont get in crap.

I found this a while back.

Saferoads.com - Vehicle Safety

:beer::beer::beer:

kingkat88

Reaction score
i agree, personally i ride the ditches along gravel roads and have been doing so for a long time. never been bothered........and you can go thru a foot and a half of snow across the feild faster than they can if it IS a problem :)

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think that technically, you're not allowed in a single digit highway ditch, example, highway 1 or 2. double digit and up your okay. and it depends on johnny law.:d

reminds me of a story back in mid 80's down in yellowstone, blasting the ditchs to island park, cops pull me over, looking for registration, tell him i'm from alberta, and we don't need it. he nicely says well here you do, so option was a $100 fine or he'd follow me back to the service station along the highway and i'd buy a local trail pass for $15. so i decided on the local trail pass which he followed me back to make sure.

Last edited:

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every county has there own regulations,and they change them at will.Best to contact the MD (county)or the local sled club.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every county has there own regulations,and they change them at will.Best to contact the MD (county)or the local sled club.

Exactly right. Before I moved from Sherwood Park 3 years ago, they had rent-a-cops on sleds to ticket sledders following their tracks. Here in Rimbey, nobody cares, as long as you are not in or around town after 11:00pm.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was heading down 22x last saturday to stage at McLean Cr......what caught my eye was the ditch was full of tracks all the way to bragg creek...

kind hard to resist the temptation.....those road allowances look like they could be a lot of fun.....:rolleyes:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was heading down 22x last saturday to stage at McLean Cr......what caught my eye was the ditch was full of tracks all the way to bragg creek...

kind hard to resist the temptation.....those road allowances look like they could be a lot of fun.....:rolleyes:

i'm only about 1 block off of 22x... you don't have to tell me it is tempting!! there was a couple times last year i almost left right from my garage, but that one block going down 6th st might bring some unneeded attention, and i really didn't want them to follow me home!!

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the best to check with the county you want to ride with or call the local RCMP.I live in edmonton and a few years back was ditch banging with friends by cooking lake"Stracona County" county cops stopped us.Where told it was against the law to ride in the ditch! He checked out our machines,mine was all ok because it was still stock. The friends had after market cans and one had a pipe.Each infraction was $250. he let us off because we where close to home and just turned around. I dont know if he was just B.S.ing us .Better be save than sorry $$$$$.He allso told us he could of impounded our selds .

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I rode into Vulcan 2 days ago and got told by the peace officer that its illegal to ride ditches and town was off limits also so we hit the stubble and snuck in from the back way. All we wanted to do was go see the Christmas train but I guess they aren't in the Christmas mood yet
they said not allowed on any public property

RWoods

Reaction score
Got pulled over the other night south of Sylvan Lake and was told that it is illegal to ride in any ditch. Not sure if he was serious but sure would like to find out .. in the odd chance i decide to pull over ever again!!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is illegal To ride any 1 or 2 didgit highway in Alberta. If your county has control of the roads such as Twp. and Range roads it up to them what happens. As with anything if you are riding decent and not going all over the ditch from fence to pavement chances are you will be OK. Now Highway 2 from Edmonton to Calgary would be a no no. Way to much distraction to highway traffic.
The Gov. and the ASA and trailnet are working on these issues for trail development for the province. Something may be coming out soon.
If you have ever ridden in Sask. they have groomed trails along the highways.
If you do ride the ditches just be prepared to deal with the cops. Have your insurance,plates and be nice and stop when asked to stop. if your near the big cities all the cops have helicopters and love to us them.
JMHO

CatCory

Reaction score
Hope this link helps out for those of you riding in wetaskiwin county.

http://www.county.wetaskiwin.ab.ca/municipal/cntywtsk/cntywtsk-website.nsf/AllDoc/BAC053E3D4791CA387257465006DD71F/$File/OFF%20HIGHWAY%20VEHICLE%20NOTICE.pdf?OpenElement

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jumping intesections with my YZ 250 and the bottom of my tires were level with the stop sign with both hands off the bars and the flashers came on instantly. Couldn't see what was behind the head lights at dusk. I stopped and idled by the fence with them on the highway. They said no ticket if I shut it off. After a few questions and a good ass chewing they made me push it 3/4 mile home and followed me all the way. (mom was proud of her son when she saw that one) About a month later the neighbors boy is riding his little 80 cc bike in the same area and the RCs nail him for about $400 worth of tickets. Go figure??? Yes its illegal to ride in almost all ditches, just depends on the RC's time of the month if you get a ticket or not.:confused:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Municipalities can make the rules. Some like Strathcona are a nightmare. Some like Parkland are a dream. Funny that as kids we would ride anywhere and even get waves from the cops as long as it was honest fun. Now it's busted on the spot. Too many rookies with a mission in my opinion.

Just don;t understand how a peaceful ditch riding sledder is worse than a bus driver head stomping meth head....but I digress.

Ahh....the good old days.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Jumping intesections with my YZ 250 and the bottom of my tires were level with the stop sign with both hands off the bars and the flashers came on instantly. Couldn't see what was behind the head lights at dusk. I stopped and idled by the fence with them on the highway. They said no ticket if I shut it off. After a few questions and a good ass chewing they made me push it 3/4 mile home and followed me all the way. (mom was proud of her son when she saw that one) About a month later the neighbors boy is riding his little 80 cc bike in the same area and the RCs nail him for about $400 worth of tickets. Go figure??? Yes its illegal to ride in almost all ditches, just depends on the RC's time of the month if you get a ticket or not.:confused:

This i can see getting tickets for.Chewing up the ditch with a dirt bike and Jumping intersections.

Sleds have very little damage to the ground. May flatten down the grass that they dont cut anyway.

Im sure if i would have jumped the intersection infront of the cop the other day he would have given me a ticket for sure.I was jumping the drifts right beside him in the ditch.He didnt care.Im sure it comes down to is if there in a bad mood that day.My buddy is a Peace officer, He said he would never give a ticket for that unless you were right stupid............

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We ride the ditches of Hwy 43 in Lac.St Anne county with no issues, even stopped to talk to the RC's a couple times while riding. the grass median between the lanes is a No No but the outside ditches are no issue. Parkland County is cool with riding the ditches of 16 & 16A, brother inlaw will stage by the dodge dealership on the west side of Stony and ride out to my place.633 (AB Beach Hwy) is a sled freeway in the winter....
speed limits in the ditches are 30 Km/h so if your acting like an idiot they can and will fine you but for the most part it's like anywhere if you play within the rules and show them respect it will be returned

CatCory

Reaction score
Thanks Bogger, just recieved email from leduc county with the bylaw for off highway vehicles and its states that it is totally legal to ride along roadsides I tried to attach the pdf file but it is too large anyone who would like me to email this to them my email is(crbrg66e@hotmail.com)

P.S. also have the wetaskiwin county by-law

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got pulled over the other night south of Sylvan Lake and was told that it is illegal to ride in any ditch. Not sure if he was serious but sure would like to find out .. in the odd chance i decide to pull over ever again!!

Riding on highway ditches is illegal everwhere some places will let it slide, I do it all the time and have never been stoped. I know it is illegal theo

Top Bottom