Direction to riding trails near Vega.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I want to take my 10 yr old riding on some sand trails near Vega but don't really know how to get there. Guy at my work told me about some place called Timmum recreational riding area. Goggled it but came up with nothing. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be tough riding for him in the sand. Have you taken him to redwater? But as for direction you need to find out if the klondike ferry is open yet. It is a bit shorter drive to go that way. Should be open by now. Ill see if I can get some directions posted.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take Kingsway NW and 121 St NW to Yellowhead Hwy W/Yellowhead Trail W

5.7 km / 8 min

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

Continue on Yellowhead Hwy W. Take Grizzly Trail/AB-33 N to AB-769 N in Barrhead County No. 11

120 km / 1 h 25 min

maneuvers-2x.png

[h=6][/h]

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

Follow AB-769 N to Hwy 661, Ab - Highway 661, Ab/AB-661 S

37.5 km / 48 min

maneuvers-2x.png

Turn left onto AB-769 N (signs for Alberta 769 N)

22.8 km

maneuvers-2x.png

Continue straight onto AB-661 S

6.5 km

maneuvers-2x.png

Turn left to stay on AB-661 S

4.9 km

maneuvers-2x.png

Turn right onto Hwy 661, Ab - Highway 661, Ab/AB-661 S

2.0 km

maneuvers-2x.png

Turn left to stay on Hwy 661, Ab - Highway 661, Ab/AB-661 S
[h=6]Destination will be on the right[/h]

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO get that?? nice copy and paste job

lolol. Got it . We went on Saturday and for first time in the sand he did great. Once he figured out that if he kept his bike screamin it was easier to ride he did fine. And he loved the mostly dry skag. Thanks for the info. We went through Fort Assinaboine on the way up and took the ferry on the way home.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome. If he can learn how to ride that stuff while young he will do well anywhere

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome. If he can learn how to ride that stuff while young he will do well anywhere

He is doin awesome on his kx65 but it is getting a little small size wise. Gotta get him out soon to Bump to get a handle on his CR85 and then back to Vega or maybe Brule. Thanks again for the info. I nearly busted a blood vessel laughin.

frankntosh

Reaction score
Hey there, I just bought some new bikes, KTM 350sxf for me and a KTM 85 SX for the wife. We're new to riding in Alberta, she's a brand new rider and it's been awhile for me too. I took her to Bruderheim last weekend but sands not the place to learn. Where's the best place around here for her to start? We're in the Sherwood Park area. Thanks for any help!!

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might get better suggestions but I'd try bumpmx out. They have a few tracks ( easy to hard ) and trails too.

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I just bought some new bikes, KTM 350sxf for me and a KTM 85 SX for the wife. We're new to riding in Alberta, she's a brand new rider and it's been awhile for me too. I took her to Bruderheim last weekend but sands not the place to learn. Where's the best place around here for her to start? We're in the Sherwood Park area. Thanks for any help!!

For a nice easy ride, give the Iron Horse a try. You can put a whack of miles on in a day. If you stage at Smokey Lake and head East, you'll also find a small area just before Bellis with a few sand/dirt trails and small sand hills to learn on.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I take my wife and son to Bump all the time. It is up by Busby off hwy 44. There is 5 different tracks and over 40 k of trails with something for all types of riders. The people that run the place are awesome to. Just do a google search on Bump and it should be easy to find their web site.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a nice easy ride, give the Iron Horse a try. You can put a whack of miles on in a day. If you stage at Smokey Lake and head East, you'll also find a small area just before Bellis with a few sand/dirt trails and small sand hills to learn on.
Apparently dirt bikes are not allowed on the iron horse trail. Pretty fawked up if you ask me

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently dirt bikes are not allowed on the iron horse trail. Pretty fawked up if you ask me

Bloody hell, I guess a guy's always gotta ready the fine print. I woulda never guessed that you wouldn't be allowed to take a dirt bike where you're allowed to take a quad!

brent n

Reaction score
so how far past vega are the trails is is marked? headed their with the wife on monday for her to try her quad out never been their

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you take the klondyke ferry the trails are right after you get off it on the right hand side. Make sure you stay off the secondary hiway though even though its gravel they will give you a Ticket. Do not ride on left side of road either as that is no atv's allowed. Just follow the power lines and there will be a good combo of riding for her to get used to quad.

Top Bottom