digitron or koso

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like it says whos better bang for the bucks? need one for upcoming season and on the fence as to what to get. wondering what everyones opinion is on who is better and has better options features. thanks. i know its probably like a whos better doo yammy or poo question but lets see what we get.

Jeff K

Reaction score
I have had both. I ran a Koso gauge for the first half of the season and did not like it at all. It was hard to see and the screen seemed to get worse when cold.

I ordered a 4 window Digatron and it is WAY better. It is so much easier to see, has a much better bracket for mounting and had a playback/record feature that is really nice. You can playback your EGT's and RPM for the last run so you don't have to watch the gauge while you are driving. Makes tuning so much easier.

Hope that helps.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had both. I ran a Koso gauge for the first half of the season and did not like it at all. It was hard to see and the screen seemed to get worse when cold.

I ordered a 4 window Digatron and it is WAY better. It is so much easier to see, has a much better bracket for mounting and had a playback/record feature that is really nice. You can playback your EGT's and RPM for the last run so you don't have to watch the gauge while you are driving. Makes tuning so much easier.

Hope that helps.

I solely run the Koso's because the issues you described were exactly what I had with Digatron, harder to see (backlighting is not as good IMO) etc. I've never had an issue with the screen being harder to read when colder? - the bright blue background makes the #'s super easy to see on my sled. I don't know - angle maybe? Did you have the rectifier Jeff?

I find the Koso's far easier to see, the flashing overtemp warning feature is very nice and visible, programming and hook up are super easy. Not as many features as the Digatron, also like 1/2 the price also though. Depends on what you are looking for magnet - do you need things like water temp and jackshaft speed or are u just looking for EGT's? If so, get the Digatron. If you are just looking to correlate EGT #'s to plug readings, get the Koso. Are you running this with twins or single pipe?

I have the Koso A/F gauge on my one sled (in addition to the EGT) and it is awesome - fast response and same features as above and its nice to know what the A/F ratio is at a given EGT temp. The A/F gauge is pricey but like Jeff said - you don't want to have to stare at things for a long time, should be looking were you are going instead. That was what sold me on the Koso, easy to read #'s, especially at high speeds/climbing (just needs a quick glance). Some of the automotive ones are not very visible IMO. I used to run an analog (Westach) back in the mid 90's and they were very very hard to see, maybe this is why the Koso is such an upgrade for me :D

Not calling down either brand - just my experiences.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree my digitron gauge is super hard to see were my koso on my cat was super easy with that blue background! I keep having trouble with my digitron gauge connections coming loose and making my gauge read 1999 degrees not cool when you are doing a big pull and look down to a flashing gauge telling you that you are way above meltdown when you are way under :mad:

I solely run the Koso's because the issues you described were exactly what I had with Digatron, harder to see (backlighting is not as good IMO) etc. I've never had an issue with the screen being harder to read when colder? - the bright blue background makes the #'s super easy to see on my sled. I don't know - angle maybe? Did you have the rectifier Jeff?

I find the Koso's far easier to see, the flashing overtemp warning feature is very nice and visible, programming and hook up are super easy. Not as many features as the Digatron, also like 1/2 the price also though. Depends on what you are looking for magnet - do you need things like water temp and jackshaft speed or are u just looking for EGT's? If so, get the Digatron. If you are just looking to correlate EGT #'s to plug readings, get the Koso. Are you running this with twins or single pipe?

I have the Koso A/F gauge on my one sled (in addition to the EGT) and it is awesome - fast response and same features as above and its nice to know what the A/F ratio is at a given EGT temp. The A/F gauge is pricey but like Jeff said - you don't want to have to stare at things for a long time, should be looking were you are going instead. That was what sold me on the Koso, easy to read #'s, especially at high speeds/climbing (just needs a quick glance). Some of the automotive ones are not very visible IMO. I used to run an analog (Westach) back in the mid 90's and they were very very hard to see, maybe this is why the Koso is such an upgrade for me :D

Not calling down either brand - just my experiences.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to purchase the Koso guages?

EGT or A/F?

Recreation Supply has good pricing, so does Royal Distributing for the gauges. I have never changed a sensor on either of my EGTs yet and they work flawlessly every ride, on both sleds. I would buy another Koso EGT in a heartbeat.

but......just FYI for the a/f gauge, I called Koso direct and you cannot buy the sensor directly from them, you have to buy it from one of the Canadian suppliers (canadian company but can't buy it online from them -go figure that one out...). I was hoping to just be able to buy a a/f sensor for a car, but the connection to the Koso gauge is specific so you have to buy the Koso sensor.

Recreation Supply has them for the same price as direct from Koso but if you are running leaded fuel I would say just get an AEM gauge and then you can get a sensor for an automobile at Napa or wherever. The gauges and sensors are like 1/2 the price and you will go through one a season at least on leaded fuel on a wideband sensor (at least my experience - burn through one one each sled a season - I have 2 sleds). Tabneil said that he did have some spares for the sensor and thought that you could get them from an automotive store, but after searching around all over, even calling Bosch direct multiple times and all their dealers here in Calgary, there was no correlation # to a part # for an automobile. I called Koso and they said their connector is specific to their gauge, so you have to get it through one of their dealers (which is why Bosch does not have a corresponding auto part #).

I really like the KOSO gauge still and it has wicked features, but $240 a season for sensors is a little too pricey for me, especially since the gauge also ain't cheap. Next time I'll be buying the automotive style and hooking it up to the rectifier, not as easy to see, they get moisture in them because they are not designed for the snow, and not as many features but I'll live with it.All that being said, if you are not running leaded fuel the Koso sensor will probably last you a couple seasons and it is a really nice gauge. If I wasn't running leaded fuel I would buy it again.

Lots of boosted yammys on av gas running the FJO gauge, and apparently the sensors last for years, do a search on here for FJO. Not cheap but only buy it once. E&S sells them. If you get an automotive style wideband gauge like the FJO or the AEM, you will still need the adapter heat sink for the 2 stroke pipe, but you can get it through Rec Supply.

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about adding one of these to my sled and was going to start a thread
asking the same question.Magnet,did you buy one? what did you go with?
Anyone have any other input?
Thank's

Top Bottom