Differences between viper and sidewinder?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 14 viper 162 with 190mcx turbo. I had a 17 sidewinder.

The sidewinder had more jam for sure. Throttle response on the bottom end I would say is very similar. All in the clutching.

Handling is very similar I would say. It’s all how you setup your suspension.

Viper has a radiator with electric fan so that’s nice if your riding warm days on hard pack.

Sidewinder stock clutches seem to not be as durable as the viper. Lots of guys have switch over to the old style on the sidewinder.

Later build 2016 vipers has weak rods that may break under boost.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chassis are very much similar, Cat version. The engine 1049 and 998 are VERY different even though they look the same they are not even close internally.
Heading out the door to shred, when i get back I can post some of the differences engine wise.
Eitherway the 998 is way more advance and much stronger.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sidewinder with factory turbo is seamless power and doesn't matter if its low or high elevation cold of warm out ,its unreal how good it runs .

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a sidewinder for a couple seasons I found that Chassis was by far the most maneuverable 4 stroke chassis I had touched. Stock mapping and throttle response made aftermarket kits feel like garbage. I messed with clutching on sidewinder quite a bit the second year I could not get it to run cool with a flash. The 1049 engines 2015 and before took a serious beating and made big hp. Chassis was just dated on vipers way more point and shoot. I’m sure when the guys fully utilized the SW engine to full potential it would have been unreal.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get the newer Viper the chasis will be similar minus the newer sidewinder having the drop and roll chaincase. Biggest thing like mentioned is the engine. The sidewinder engine was built for boost from the factory, internals can handle 350hp. Being built for boost means the tuning, timing, fuel system,... all from factory are made for a turbo setup.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest diff......Mitsubishi electronics on the SW versus Continental on Viper. Opens a whole world of possibilities for the future.

Yamaha has all the technology and knowledge in the world to build a light weight turbo 4 stroke mountain sled. Will we ever see it?

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has all the technology and knowledge in the world to build a light weight turbo 4 stroke mountain sled. Will we ever see it?

That carrot has been dangling for 15+ years. I rode a t-yami years ago, and intended switch back if that ever happened. Collaborating with cat was the nail in the coffin for me.

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what ive found surprising through all this. They have stayed focused on the larger engines. Surprised we havent see a 700 engine with a turbo on it yet. There's several Raptor 700 quads with turbo kits between 14-24 PSI. The 700 longblock dressed up is only 115 lb. For comparison a 850 ETEC is only 20lb lighter.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Owned a Boost-it Viper with steering and suspension upgrades. Also rode a Winder… Winder hands down handles better!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other then some of irrelevant post put on here concerning your post, it looks like you got your question answered.
I will add engine to engine comparison as per your question the 998 factory package weighs about the same as the 1049 factory package *without the turbo*.
So on your Vipers vs the SW by the time you add an aftermarket turbo set up, depending on setup you will be adding 15-20lbs more weight, once completed and will never achieve the same performance results BUT if you know how to setup a sled, a Viper turbo, you can save alot of coin and get very similar results.
Remember a SW stock is only about 200hp, any more will cost you $$$. While from the getgo a Viper is much cheaper to pickup and you can choose your package 180hp and up.
Only thing is early 1049 are strong while later 1049 had weak areas, like the rod's for big boost.
The 998 has no weak areas or atleast todate shown non and will take 350hp with no modifications.
So it depends what your looking for. Personally if budget is tight I would not hesitate to go with the Viper, both are trouble free awesome sleds in most parts.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what ive found surprising through all this. They have stayed focused on the larger engines. Surprised we havent see a 700 engine with a turbo on it yet. There's several Raptor 700 quads with turbo kits between 14-24 PSI. The 700 longblock dressed up is only 115 lb. For comparison a 850 ETEC is only 20lb lighter.
If your familiar with the SideWinder you will find that compared to a competitive 2stroke they are only 80lbs apart, RTR.
There are reasons for that, the fuel tanks are 3gal smaller yet achieving similar ride times and the chassis design.
A lot get hung up on weight but the chassis used on the Winder packs very little ice, almost non at the rear and the most at the nose. While its counter part 2 strokes pack so much that in the real world that weight gap closes real tight. But with out the benefits of reliable hp/torque.
My buddies 175 G4 turbo packs so much ice at the tunnel it wouldn't surprise me if we equaled out on the scale during the day, don't call a SW fat till you ride a G4 packing ice HOLY F, its laughable that they still use tunnel cooling.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many different turbo kits for the vipers lots of variables. Ive been on turbo yammies since about 2007 and the viper since 2015 . I’ve ridden 2 of my buddies sidewinders with tunes abunch . Handling wise they are very close suspension set up and different skids play have huge effect on handling . I’ve always ran bakers skids so lots of ski pressure . I’ve found the sidewinder to hide the weight alittle better . The winder has better throttle response down low, mid range and top end seems flat compared to my boost it viper set up 2860 billet wheel , water/air intercooler at 10-12 pounds boost . I have more lag though bigger turbo . My one buddy put the older nytro/viper clutching on his winder with the belt drive and its night and day better throughout the power band.
Weight wise there pretty close my viper with abunch of light weight parts seat , battery , hood is 620 rtr . We weighed 3 winders this fall before season started and a stocker was 650 lbs , a 174 with some lightweight parts belt drive 620 lbs and a 162 with bunch light weight parts belt drive was around 600 lbs which is really good .
The stock winder is a heavy girl comparing it to my 22 slash 165 its 125lb difference that’s huge lol don’t matter how you slice it 125 lbs or 75 lbs its a lot of weight. Least when I ride my yammi I know I’ll get off the mountain lol

Last edited:

bcjeepr

Reaction score
If your familiar with the SideWinder you will find that compared to a competitive 2stroke they are only 80lbs apart, RTR.
There are reasons for that, the fuel tanks are 3gal smaller yet achieving similar ride times and the chassis design.
A lot get hung up on weight but the chassis used on the Winder packs very little ice, almost non at the rear and the most at the nose. While its counter part 2 strokes pack so much that in the real world that weight gap closes real tight. But with out the benefits of reliable hp/torque.
My buddies 175 G4 turbo packs so much ice at the tunnel it wouldn't surprise me if we equaled out on the scale during the day, don't call a SW fat till you ride a G4 packing ice HOLY F, its laughable that they still use tunnel cooling.
Is this post not irrelevant as well?

Top Bottom