Diesel shortage starting dec 7 2022

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hearing a bit of noise about the pumps running dry next week in ne bc and nw Alta? Just wondering if anyone has any info

SamStorm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard about those two areas specifically. Just whatever's in the news about looming supply shortages. I know the prices have been changing like crazy lately here in Fort Mac. In the span of 36 hours it went from $1.90, to 1.70, back up to 1.82 then 1.89. Seems like a new price every time I drive by the station near the house.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a global commodity now, if someone else is willing to pay more for it that's where the diesel gets shipped. If the eastern US and Canada have a cold winter heating oil demand goes up, and so will diesel prices. I don't think Smith would let Albertan diesel get shipped elsewhere leaving us high and dry however, if it ever did come to severe shortages.

It doesn't really help that the US has lost a couple million bpd of refining capacity in the last few years.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is someone trying to drive up the cost of diesel, which would result in driving up the cost of everything else by creating a panic for diesel???
Would that someone be this abomination?
334b832f55beb2f6f696642be293335c.jpg

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel is slightly cheaper in Europe than here, I was just there and shocked.

They were saying Europe is buying up all the diesel so they don’t have to buy from Russia. A lot of their small cars are diesel powdered.

It’s ridiculous the price. It’s a byproduct of gasoline production.

Our guys are out doing snow removal and the diesel bills are getting crazy!

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel is slightly cheaper in Europe than here, I was just there and shocked.

They were saying Europe is buying up all the diesel so they don’t have to buy from Russia. A lot of their small cars are diesel powdered.

It’s ridiculous the price. It’s a byproduct of gasoline production.

Our guys are out doing snow removal and the diesel bills are getting crazy!
Diesel is not a byproduct of gasoline, atleast not at every facility.

pommie_git

Reaction score
I can’t see how that’s true. Diesel is £1.85 in UK right now. That’s $3/litre.

Never seen a difference between gas and diesel like we have now tho. Must be some kind of shortage

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jet fuel production must still be way down from prepandemic times. It's not so different from diesel. There shouldn't be a diesel shortage.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The US has been saying for the last month there strategic reserves are gone, and that they only had enough to go another month or so. Biden went to Saudi to beg for more and got told to pound sand.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the scoop with the NWR refinery out by Redwater? I heard rumblings that its been a disaster since day 1 and isn't producing diesel like it should be.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son stopped in Hinton UFA yesterday on his way to Blue River. Said there was only one diesel pump open. Diesel in Valemount was 2.46.

Top Bottom