DeWalt Power Tools

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always run DeWalt power tools at home, and as well as they work they always seem to come in 2nd place to Milwaukee in most tool tests. I've never used a Milwaukee drill that I've liked, and the overheating issues with hard use on the batteries drives me nuts, but I believe Milwaukee makes a quality product.

I picked up the new DeWalt 850 impact driver the other day and was sure impressed, it's compact and has a higher output than the 809 I also have. Looking at the reviews it appears DeWalt is coming out with a bunch of new tools to compete head to head and even beat the Milwaukee tools. The new 800 compact drill is pretty impressive, and the new 891 1/2" mid-torque impact blows the Milwaukee out of the water, even matching my 899 high torque. There's also a 900 series impact coming to rival the bigger Milwaukee impacts.

I see more yellow tools in my future, will be interesting to see what comes next.

Yes I spend too much time looking at tools. lol

1652498246482.png

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I started building my house Milwaukee didn't offer things like the battery mitre saw or table saw so I started with the yellow brand, and I am way to far down the Dewalt rabbit hole to change to anything now. Although there are a bunch of tools Milwaukee makes that I wish Dewalt did.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because it appears Milwaukee has been dominating the cordless tool market the past few years does not mean other brands dont build some quality tools, and possibly better specific tools.

Last edited:

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not a big fan of yellow.. A few years back when i was in construction and using this stuff daily my old reliable mastercraft decided to commit suicide after years of abuse. Went out and replaced it with a new dewalt charged everything up and went to work. 10 screws and the first battery was dead, popped in the second battery and 10 more screws and it was dead and the driver smelt like it was on fire. Figured i just got a bad charge and tossed everything back in the charger only to get the same results. Took it back the store refused to exchange it and i had to send it out for warranty and said warranty would probably be refused as i had purchased the home owner series... LOL... Told them even if that was true it should drive in more that 10 1.5 long screws.. Told them since it was only a day old i would just return it, grabbed a makita set and never looked back. Now i have several other tools by makita and they are reliable...

Just got a bad yellow brand but after dealing with the store it just left me with a bad experience and will never use the again.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of different brands of tools.

The dewalt and craftsman batteries are the same, and there are other brands that have the same batteries.

So that is kind of nice.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of different brands of tools.

The dewalt and craftsman batteries are the same, and there are other brands that have the same batteries.

So that is kind of nice.
I remember the day when a 14.4 craftsman was king of the hill. Hell I still have a few peices in a box somewhere

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember the day when a 14.4 craftsman was king of the hill. Hell I still have a few peices in a box somewhere

The newer 20v dewalt and craftsman and few other brands batteries are compatible. Not sure on the older stuff though

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent thread, I'm just starting to think about a cordless impact to replace my 1/2" air.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reactions: RGM

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
This may be a Dewalt thread, but this has been my 1/2 go to impact for years. They are incredible.

I havnt used an air impact since I bought this one.
When we did the tracks on our snowcat last fall we had 2 Milwaukee and 1 Mikita. Sorry no dewars to compare. The Milwaukee batteries lasted about twice as long as the makita and spun the bolts out faster. There’s a lot of bolts in cat tracks.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed a small comment on that video about the 40v makita, well i never bought the 40v makita but the 40volt maximum from canadiantire. I am pretty sure it is makita because that is the only tool maker that makes 40v drills. I could not find Makita on that chart, but i was impressed by that hammer drill, and yes i have used the milwaulkee and dewalt drills and impacts.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not a big fan of yellow.. A few years back when i was in construction and using this stuff daily my old reliable mastercraft decided to commit suicide after years of abuse. Went out and replaced it with a new dewalt charged everything up and went to work. 10 screws and the first battery was dead, popped in the second battery and 10 more screws and it was dead and the driver smelt like it was on fire. Figured i just got a bad charge and tossed everything back in the charger only to get the same results. Took it back the store refused to exchange it and i had to send it out for warranty and said warranty would probably be refused as i had purchased the home owner series... LOL... Told them even if that was true it should drive in more that 10 1.5 long screws.. Told them since it was only a day old i would just return it, grabbed a makita set and never looked back. Now i have several other tools by makita and they are reliable...

Just got a bad yellow brand but after dealing with the store it just left me with a bad experience and will never use the again.
The home owner versions of any of the colours doesn’t compete!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent thread, I'm just starting to think about a cordless impact to replace my 1/2" air.

IMO that size impact in air is just obsolete, the cordless one's are great. I would say my 1/2" dewalt is good for like 300ftlbs. Unless it's a 1" impact air is just way too much hassle. The cordless "say" they are good for things like 1500ftlbs but they aren't even close, still need air for things like semi tires.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO that size impact in air is just obsolete, the cordless one's are great. I would say my 1/2" dewalt is good for like 300ftlbs. Unless it's a 1" impact air is just way too much hassle. The cordless "say" they are good for things like 1500ftlbs but they aren't even close, still need air for things like semi tires.

Air is better if you have to really rattle on it to get it loose. Electric get pretty hot.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That 300 ft dewalt version is now also obsolete. It was weak.

It’s replacement is 750 and more compact.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That 300 ft dewalt version is now also obsolete. It was weak.

It’s replacement is 750 and more compact.

Mine isn't that version, I think it's 750 version, know it's at least 500 but they never put out near what they say. At even 500 it should bust semi lug nuts, it doesn't have a hope in hell, i'd had it not be able to take off skidsteer lug nuts that I can take off with a 2' bar. Just like the milwaukee claiming 2000, ya right.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on the battery too, run a dinky 2ah battery and you won't get much out of it, 5ah makes them all work pretty good. IIRC according to many tests the dewalt 6ah is the best on high output tools.

Sockets matter too, some are better than others at delivering the torque to the bolt. Even the bolt length matters, a long bolt has more spring and gets torqued less, the ideal scenario is a nut on a stud, this sees the highest final torque.

I have run the 3/4" high output Milwaukee, its rated at 1,200 ft/lbs fastening torque, maybe it doesn't quite hit that but it's up there. For what we use it for its a huge cost saver, $600 impact vs $10k+ for a diesel driven compressor, air hoses, and air impact. We can throw a cordless impact away every 6 months and still be cheaper based on fuel savings alone.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven’t used air tools for a few years now about ready to put them in the dumpster. Starting to wean myself of 110v tools as well about $3000 more I’m fully equipped for who knows what I’ll never build.

Top Bottom