Delco Altenator Question.

Bill Daley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run a Delco Altenator the opposite way will it still charge and will the wiring still be the same? Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks.I want to run it anti-clockwise instead of clockwise.

Last edited:

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah it should biuld power , I'm not 100% sure , if it works the wiring should be the same . What are you doing with it

Bill Daley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a Honda Trike that I want to mount it on.The motor is old enough it is becoming hard to get parts anymore.I was down almost all last summer due to the carb.Can't get one anywhere anymore for a 76 Civic.Just want to make it a little more easier to get some of them.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can you mount the alternator backwards like 180 degrees then it will spin the right way or off the drive shaft

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can with the sigle wire alts, Bill. But if it's the older style with the seperate "feild", "battery", "regulator" wires you can. I'm 99% sure

You could hold it in a vise and spin it with a 1/2" drill, forwards, than back, and compare voltage readings, paying attention to polarity (+, - )
A 1/2" chuck should grab the shaft..............post what you learn

Last edited:

Bill Daley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks D it was the three wire I was going to use.I guess I should have been more explanitory in my question.The old system had an external regulator and crap that I am trying to clean up.I know that the cooling fins will run backwards and I have already put locktight on the threads to prevent it loosening up and flying apart.There is also three fans running under there plus two at the rad.One of them is directly pointed at the altenator to help it cool.

The motor was rebuilt in 2004 before it was put away for storage and has very few miles on it.The rebuild parts for it are not a problem,it's the external stuff that you run into with.Carbs stuff like that.Even tried the U.S.And came up empty.Adapter plate was made and it is now running an Accord 1500cc carb.

I am thinking seriously about redoing it and dropping in an Olds 3.8 I do have the room and it would liven it up considerably .

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to test a single wire delco today keep you posted , hope I don't burn it up it's for the boat . LOL

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can run a alternator CW or CCW doesn't matter to the current it produces.
The MAJOR factor is that the cooling fin plate will spin the opposite way, so instead of pulling cooling air through the alt, it will pull hot air out making it run hotter,.. Also if it is a used alt, in my experience the brushes get a rear "trailing" edge to them so if you run the alt backwards they could break off an do damage to the brush holders making the alt short, or fail.

Top Bottom