Criks and hidden holes/tree wells

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m somewhat bored. This topic has crossed my mind a few times but I’m always away from my phone/comp to start the thread (usually think about it on long drives)

Theres a video on YouTube of a guy riding with his buddies and he all the sudden just drops into a hole... I’ll try and find and edit with link. His buddies were close by and pulled him out but he was helmet deep in it...if they didn’t see him drop in he prob would have been a goner

How the heck does a guy avoid holes without knowing the area?

2nd basically the same thing but regarding creekbashing, is this only to be done in mid winter/after a few good cold snaps to ensure the creek is actually a base/frozen?

Last would be wells, is it best just to avoid getting near them if possibly?...there was a similiar thread about tree wells last season I just can’t find it

I figured with season coming up, it’d be good to talk about some safety...

I did so my ast 1 fourish seasons ago (I plan on doing again this year then ast 2), I don’t recall anything about wells being talked about...i feel like ‘holes’ should be covered in sled specific courses...

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were in Westridge one year in a pretty low key area and everyone was just pounding fresh snow. One guy got stuck so we all stopped to help him as it was break time. Lol. .
One of the last guys to stop had to walk about 20 yards to us and when he got there he stepped close to a tree.

Sunk to his armpits in a heartbeat. Another guy grabbed him by the scruff. Couple others helped.

Sure was a heads up as to how quick stuff can happen

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
A buddy system is highly recommend when sledding. I try to always to pair up with one person with your riding style, abilities and stick together the best you can. A radio with a chest/shoulder microphone is also a good tool. And if you have a few Garmin GPS units you can mark each other on those as well. Communication is the key for safety when riding.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A guy died 2 years ago by Fernie and my understanding was he fell into a tree well. His son went down to the staging area to get help. A local catski company was close by and the guides jumped into action but it was too late

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Popped off the sled last season and dropped in a hole / gully runout about 7' below sled track ...toes just barely touching a rock beneath and hoping the sled didn't roll back on top! Bit of a start!! Sucked for a few minutes but found some footing and gradually built a base to climb out ....
Ever ride i learn something new and hopefully am smart enough to remember ....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest I've never seen any holes magically open up, there is always some indication that something is there. Be aware and keep your head on a swivel. if you're in a creek drainage there will be creek holes, if you're in a meadow with a creek in it there will be water holes, if you're near a tree it will have a well around it and other smaller trees around it that are covered but can collapse if you step on them, if you're on a glacier there will be crevasses.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were 12-15 feet back from a ledge which turned out to be a cornice, my buddy fell through. When i pulled him out you could look 1000 feet down the mountain. He would not have survived that one.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Talking about crevice's, I cashed in one of my 9 lives when I was backing up to take a photo on Dore glacier several years ago. Was with Randy (snowchuk), all I remember is " Stay Still" and he grabbed the loop on my avy pack and pulled me out. My legs were dangling, might of been a scary ride.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talking about crevice's, I cashed in one of my 9 lives when I was backing up to take a photo on Dore glacier several years ago. Was with Randy (snowchuk), all I remember is " Stay Still" and he grabbed the loop on my avy pack and pulled me out. My legs were dangling, might of been a scary ride.

There’s that real freaky video of a guy riding who peaks a climb and the cornice falls below him. 1 ski danglin off the side. Hundreds of metres down. Dude crawls backwards off his sled and stars how he literally sh*t his pants. I would to.

Honestly if you don’t know an area well enough you gotta keep your wits and pick a clear day to explore. Head on a swivel as mentioned before. Don’t get carried away. Even in an area you know well, most don’t know what it actually looks like in the summertime.

Top Bottom