Crazy day gettin into Salm

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started out with one buddy hittin the rubarb 2.5 k up the trail, my kid blew a belt on the trail a few k up then another buddy took out an A Arm goin up.
Once we got up and into the trail it was trenched out and quite icy in spots but not that big a deal the six of us got to the last small opening before getting up top. There was one last trench and it was deep and icy so buddy on his snow bike went to left and it was no problem. Then it was my turn so I followed the bikes trail but once I got 3/4 the way up the hard snow kicked me to the right now pointing square at the deep trench, I thought no problem I'll wick on er and get right over it. Well that's where it went side ways. I hit the other side of the trench so hard I felt my left knee explode. And that's exactly what it felt like. I flew off and the sled kept goin. I fell back into the trench about a 5-6 ft drop and slid back down. (That was a pleasant ride)
Well now comes the unbelievable part! There where two other groups coming up into Salmon besides us. This first group of 4-5 stopped to help me out. Put shovels under my ass and foot so that I could easily slide down to a better spot and they stuck around for a while and made sure I was ok. The other group once they got to me their day was pretty much done. They weren't interested in goin in any farther but what they did do is make sure in every way shape and form that I was ok and they stuck with me the rest of the day.
They wrapped me up in blankets, started a fire (And that wasn't easy up there) they lifted me around kept me comfortable.
Now it was getting late, the two guys that went down to get help we haven't heard from. We had no choice, couldn't stay up there for the night so we decided I would ride out. The boys lifted me onto my sled and guided me through the trenches and through the side hill. (That was an experience) Once we got back to the road we had a quick smoke and away we went. It was real slow but these guys stuck with me the whole way down. It was about 30 k from where we needed to come from and we made it back to the trucks. All I can say is THANK YOU to all the guys that helped my out!! I am so LUCKY it could have been way worse without their help.
THANKS BOYZ!!

I lay here in my bed at the U of A waiting to go in for surgery. Broke the top of the Fibia off in two spots. Doc tell me it's nasty and will need plates and screws to get it back together.

My my season is obviously done but I will get it fixed rehab it hard and hopefully with a little luck and a good surgeon I'll be back on my sled next year!!

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Luck on the healing and Kudos to the guys that helped you get out .

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is still good peeps out there that will do whatever it takes to help. Most groups are actually like that; or so I like to believe. Hope all goes well and you have a full recovery.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope you heal up ok. It is good to have people help out. Still so many out there that do so.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crappy deal, heal up and enjoy the morphine....nice to hear that there are still some people who care out there

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
Started out with one buddy hittin the rubarb 2.5 k up the trail, my kid blew a belt on the trail a few k up then another buddy took out an A Arm goin up.
Once we got up and into the trail it was trenched out and quite icy in spots but not that big a deal the six of us got to the last small opening before getting up top. There was one last trench and it was deep and icy so buddy on his snow bike went to left and it was no problem. Then it was my turn so I followed the bikes trail but once I got 3/4 the way up the hard snow kicked me to the right now pointing square at the deep trench, I thought no problem I'll wick on er and get right over it. Well that's where it went side ways. I hit the other side of the trench so hard I felt my left knee explode. And that's exactly what it felt like. I flew off and the sled kept goin. I fell back into the trench about a 5-6 ft drop and slid back down. (That was a pleasant ride)
Well now comes the unbelievable part! There where two other groups coming up into Salmon besides us. This first group of 4-5 stopped to help me out. Put shovels under my ass and foot so that I could easily slide down to a better spot and they stuck around for a while and made sure I was ok. The other group once they got to me their day was pretty much done. They weren't interested in goin in any farther but what they did do is make sure in every way shape and form that I was ok and they stuck with me the rest of the day.
They wrapped me up in blankets, started a fire (And that wasn't easy up there) they lifted me around kept me comfortable.
Now it was getting late, the two guys that went down to get help we haven't heard from. We had no choice, couldn't stay up there for the night so we decided I would ride out. The boys lifted me onto my sled and guided me through the trenches and through the side hill. (That was an experience) Once we got back to the road we had a quick smoke and away we went. It was real slow but these guys stuck with me the whole way down. It was about 30 k from where we needed to come from and we made it back to the trucks. All I can say is THANK YOU to all the guys that helped my out!! I am so LUCKY it could have been way worse without their help.
THANKS BOYZ!!

I lay here in my bed at the U of A waiting to go in for surgery. Broke the top of the Fibia off in two spots. Doc tell me it's nasty and will need plates and screws to get it back together.

My my season is obviously done but I will get it fixed rehab it hard and hopefully with a little luck and a good surgeon I'll be back on my sled next year!!

This is how most sledders are and I always meet great people when I go to the mountains, hope you get back in shape soon and a big thanks to the sledders that helped you out

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THANKS BOYZ!!

Very glad you got help.

I broke my tib/fib in 09. 3 breaks. I absolutely cannot believe you rode out like that. That's insane. You're a far tougher man than I am! My leg hurts just thinking about it.

I have a screw through my knee and one through my ankle holding a rod. Recovery actually wasn't too bad after about two weeks but they made me stay off work for 6 months (field operator at the time). Listen to your therapists and don't do what I did and give up sledding. Once you heal, get right back on it. I sold my M8, lost confidence and haven't been able to ride since. It's all a mind over matter thing. Or was for me anyway.

Good luck. Heal quick.

Got any xray pics?

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very glad you got help.

I broke my tib/fib in 09. 3 breaks. I absolutely cannot believe you rode out like that. That's insane. You're a far tougher man than I am! My leg hurts just thinking about it.

I have a screw through my knee and one through my ankle holding a rod. Recovery actually wasn't too bad after about two weeks but they made me stay off work for 6 months (field operator at the time). Listen to your therapists and don't do what I did and give up sledding. Once you heal, get right back on it. I sold my M8, lost confidence and haven't been able to ride since. It's all a mind over matter thing. Or was for me anyway.

Good luck. Heal quick.

Got any xray pics?

i figured I had no choice. Either stay up there and freeze or suck it up and get the f$ck outta there.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i figured I had no choice. Either stay up there and freeze or suck it up and get the f$ck outta there.
I guess hey? Man that had to hurt. We were ditch riding when I broke mine and the 30 foot journey to the ambulance on the stretcher still gives me fits thinking about it.

What happened when you got to the trucks? Ambulance ride home? Or?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I miss riding already. I'm going to give it time, rehab it hard get both legs good and strong for next season. If that is at all possible!!

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess hey? Man that had to hurt. We were ditch riding when I broke mine and the 30 foot journey to the ambulance on the stretcher still gives me fits thinking about it.

What happened when you got to the trucks? Ambulance ride home? Or?

Ambulance comin outta Clearwater wasn't there yet and I was gettin cold, so had my son turn the heat on in the trailer and drove the sled in. When the amby showed up backed er outta the trailer and they put me on stretcher. Slick as pickles!!

i don't think my 22 year old was expecting a 8 hour drive back to Edmonton in **** storm at night. He was a little white knuckled at times but I was comfy stretched out in the back seat helpin him out. He was a pretty proud boy when we rolled into town!!

Last edited by a moderator:

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ambulance comin outta Clearwater wasn't there yet and I was gettin cold, so had my son turn the heat on in the trailer and drove the sled in. When the amby showed up backed er outta the trailer and they put me on stretcher. Slick as pickles!!
Still. Ouch.

They drive you all the way to Edmonton?

RMPERK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that went from a decision of jumping a big hole to damn I am in big trouble. Good to hear things are falling in place and thanks to the guys who stuck with it. A long time ago we brought a guy out with a broken femur. It was a scary experience in the fact that we could not get help as too late in the day by the time we figured everything out. It was turning dark and no way could we deal with a overnight stay as the guy was going in to deep shock and it was getting scary. So we brought him out. The doctor told us later we were extremely lucky that we did not kill him bringing him out as apparently a major artery in this area that ruptures when this bone is broken and excessive movement. All the best to you as you heal up.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that went from a decision of jumping a big hole to damn I am in big trouble. Good to hear things are falling in place and thanks to the guys who stuck with it. A long time ago we brought a guy out with a broken femur. It was a scary experience in the fact that we could not get help as too late in the day by the time we figured everything out. It was turning dark and no way could we deal with a overnight stay as the guy was going in to deep shock and it was getting scary. So we brought him out. The doctor told us later we were extremely lucky that we did not kill him bringing him out as apparently a major artery in this area that ruptures when this bone is broken and excessive movement. All the best to you as you heal up.

That is exactly right! "Jumpin a hole to Holy fack" in a blink of an eye!!

Top Bottom