Covid 19 and Snowmobiling

tneault

Reaction score
Well we do field assements anyway....They All ways stop in the spring

I think that you are missing the point. Yes, they stop in the spring but usually not for another month. They are shutting down early to discourage people from adding to the problem. Stay home and be part of the solution, not the problem. If everyone follows the rules, we will be through this faster. If everyone acts entitled, the social distancing will be prolonged and the economic downturn will have a greater negative and long lasting effects on our economy.

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that you are missing the point. Yes, they stop in the spring but usually not for another month. They are shutting down early to discourage people from adding to the problem. Stay home and be part of the solution, not the problem. If everyone follows the rules, we will be through this faster. If everyone acts entitled, the social distancing will be prolonged and the economic downturn will have a greater negative and long lasting effects on our economy.
I am at home..just so happens I can still ride and there is no one else around

Annacassandra

Reaction score
here’s the thing there’s pretty good evidence that getting outside in fresh air actually improves health outcomes. So while I understand that folks in charge want to discourage people from traveling for recreation especially to places like Valemount, revelstoke, etc. where most people are staying in hotels and eating out in restaurants. So it makes sense that they have ceased grooming in these areas. But, I don’t really understand the reasoning about discouraging backcountry recreation to avoid further strain on an already strained health system. I wonder what the hospitalization rate is for snowmobiling- is the small population of people who snowmobile and the smaller percentage yet who get injured enough to require hospitalization really a strain on the health system? Especially when most Coronavirus cases are in major urban areas and snowmobiling is in rural areas.

I suppose I’m just disappointed because I wanted to get out more this year, I’m stuck working from home with my kid home from school with no public activities to keep him or I entertained not leaving the house except to buy groceries and it seems we are now barred or discouraged from an outdoor activity with little to no contact with other humans, an activity that would help keep our spirits up while we are isolated from all other human contact.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here’s the thing there’s pretty good evidence that getting outside in fresh air actually improves health outcomes. So while I understand that folks in charge want to discourage people from traveling for recreation especially to places like Valemount, revelstoke, etc. where most people are staying in hotels and eating out in restaurants. So it makes sense that they have ceased grooming in these areas. But, I don’t really understand the reasoning about discouraging backcountry recreation to avoid further strain on an already strained health system. I wonder what the hospitalization rate is for snowmobiling- is the small population of people who snowmobile and the smaller percentage yet who get injured enough to require hospitalization really a strain on the health system? Especially when most Coronavirus cases are in major urban areas and snowmobiling is in rural areas.

I suppose I’m just disappointed because I wanted to get out more this year, I’m stuck working from home with my kid home from school with no public activities to keep him or I entertained not leaving the house except to buy groceries and it seems we are now barred or discouraged from an outdoor activity with little to no contact with other humans, an activity that would help keep our spirits up while we are isolated from all other human contact.
Do you really need public activities? Figure something out, have fun with your kid. Build a fort, play board games, build a Lego world, bake cookies, clean the house, read them books paint their faces....
Society these days seems the need to be entertained, many people have no idea how to entertain themselves.

If you don't do this on your own the government will do it for you.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

I think this applies to pretty much the rest of sledding this year.
If there are people on S&M that know any one in the infectious disease research(working on a vaccine), Dynalife testing, or medical profession (doctors) that are close enough friends to let out what is coming ask them.
I have friends, relatives and friends parents in all three of these areas.
There is a chit storm coming, no maybes and there will be no reduction in severity.
There will only be a reduction in the numbers to treat at one time.

This will not be short term (6 months), this will be a long term repeating issue.

Please do your part and do not be a part of the problem.
Minimize exposure and exposure risks - give as many people as possible the opportunity to live.

When this is over there will be people from this site that will no longer be with us.
Does that help to sink it in?

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to a nurse & doctor yesterday and they are scarred sh#$tless This is just the tip of a huge iceberg that is about to come crashing down on us. It is going to get a lot worse before this thing dies down. They are very concerned about the overload on the health system.

Annacassandra

Reaction score
Do you really need public activities? Figure something out, have fun with your kid. Build a fort, play board games, build a Lego world, bake cookies, clean the house, read them books paint their faces....
Society these days seems the need to be entertained, many people have no idea how to entertain themselves.

If you don't do this on your own the government will do it for you.

Well aren't you just a bundle of holier-than-thou fun.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It's all about reducing public contact as much as possible. Not sure why board games, Lego or baking are any "better" than sledding, ice fishing or burning chit in the fire pit if it is with the same folks you would be doing the indoor activities with.

I'm all for eliminating "vacation travel" where you need hotels, restaurants & other services but for a family to load up a trailer and head to a trail or field or lake should not be discouraged - it can be done under quarantine conditions assuming that you pack your own food & supplies and avoid other people.

I put over 100km on my sled and burned a 1/4 cord of wood this past weekend all while obtaining zero public contact. I also worked on a puzzle with my wife & kids and drank a chit ton of beers. The only service I required was a stop at the gas station which was done wearing gloves and using Tap to pay (there is no pay @ the pump at my local shell)

We don't need to lock ourselves in our houses, fresh air and sun are good for us and help to strengthen our immune systems. I still come to my office every day where we maintain 6ft separation and continuously sanitize EVERYTHING. I still put fuel in my truck and am enjoying Whopper Wednesday with drive through and Tap.

Get outside and enjoy the sun & snow while we still have it, just don't go "vacationing" where you require public services.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It's all about reducing public contact as much as possible. Not sure why board games, Lego or baking are any "better" than sledding, ice fishing or burning chit in the fire pit if it is with the same folks you would be doing the indoor activities with.

I'm all for eliminating "vacation travel" where you need hotels, restaurants & other services but for a family to load up a trailer and head to a trail or field or lake should not be discouraged - it can be done under quarantine conditions assuming that you pack your own food & supplies and avoid other people.

I put over 100km on my sled and burned a 1/4 cord of wood this past weekend all while obtaining zero public contact. I also worked on a puzzle with my wife & kids and drank a chit ton of beers. The only service I required was a stop at the gas station which was done wearing gloves and using Tap to pay (there is no pay @ the pump at my local shell)

We don't need to lock ourselves in our houses, fresh air and sun are good for us and help to strengthen our immune systems. I still come to my office every day where we maintain 6ft separation and continuously sanitize EVERYTHING. I still put fuel in my truck and am enjoying Whopper Wednesday with drive through and Tap.

Get outside and enjoy the sun & snow while we still have it, just don't go "vacationing" where you require public services.

I just ordered a new fire bowl for the yard (inspired by your social distancing facebook post on the weekend) as well as a new BBQ..... I've got a lot of willow here that needs burnt, and if it won't burn because it's not dry enough yet I'll go get a couple big bags from the store down the road. I've had enough being inside, it's time to get outside and enjoy the weather.

Top Bottom