Costco golf cart batteries

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone try these 6 volt batteries in their rvs I have 6 volt Trojans in right now and they have been great but are getting quite old and the Costco batteries are much cheaper just wondering if anyone has tried them and what they thought

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have them in my cart. July will be 2 years. Seem ok so far. Just keep the water topped up and I charge them individually at the beginning of the year. Have about 100 hours on them.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a set I use in my toy hauler in the summer and use them in my sled trailer in the winter. They are awesome for the price. 5 day camping trip in a big toyhauler running lights, showers and fridge no issues. If the furnace is on at night by day 3 the lights will start dimming when the furnace kicks on
3 day sled trip I can run the furnace all night with out charging
mine are 3 years old now and still going strong

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They work good but if they get drained and freeze they are toast. And they don’t have a good warranty. Old 6 month or something. Most other battery’s at Costco have a 4 year warranty.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
are these batteries fairly heavy?
Costco site shows the dimensions but not the weight of battery.

Also, what about price per battery?

Thanks guys.

Looking at going this was for the fifth wheel.

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
What are they going for? The Canadian Tire ones are $175 right now and they are 230 amp/hr vs the 208 of the Costco batteries.

You posted during my typing.
Thank you.

Price and weight posted on CTire site.
I think I will just go with those batteries due to the 1 year free replacement warranty.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You posted during my typing.
Thank you.

Price and weight posted on CTire site.
I think I will just go with those batteries due to the 1 year free replacement warranty.

Costco is also free 1 year replacement.

[FONT=&quot]Kirkland Signature Golf Cart[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0-12 months - Free replacement[/FONT]

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are these batteries fairly heavy?
Costco site shows the dimensions but not the weight of battery.

Also, what about price per battery?

Thanks guys.

Looking at going this was for the fifth wheel.

Lead acid batteries are the one thing you want heavier, lead is what drives the reaction inside the batteries, usually the more lead the more power you can get out of them.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Costco batteries are $150.00 so way lower than Trojan I don’t know what they cost now but when I bought the ones I have 8 yeas ago they were $200.00 so I would guess over $300.00 now not sure where to even find them now

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Battery World sells trojan batteries. But I'd have a hard time believing that you'd get 25% more life out of them to justify the cost difference over costco.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 4 costco 6 volts that are on there 9 the season of camping this year
i also have 250 watts of solar that keeps them charged

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running a couple of the Costco GC batteries for a few years now. No complaints whatsoever. Weighed them after purchase and it was 75Lbs each. Same as the 9 year old Trojans I replaced. Run a 200 watt solar panel and never have battery issues. I do need to top up with the proper water once a year.

There were lots at the River Cree Costco yesterday...$149.99 each.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t have them but I know people who do and like any battery proper charging and maintenance is key.

Charge them to the manufacturer specifications, keep them topped up with water and preferably equalize them once a year.

On-board chargers will rarely maintain RV batteries properly. A good 3/4 stage charger with user defined limits for charging is what is required and your batteries will last several years. On year five for my cheap Crowns now.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t have them but I know people who do and like any battery proper charging and maintenance is key.

Charge them to the manufacturer specifications, keep them topped up with water and preferably equalize them once a year.

On-board chargers will rarely maintain RV batteries properly. A good 3/4 stage charger with user defined limits for charging is what is required and your batteries will last several years. On year five for my cheap Crowns now.

Most new trailers come standard with 3 stage chargers. My 2018 and now my 2020 both did. I never had an issue with batteries on them.

But I definitely agree, most batteries fail due to misuse or neglect. A battery cycled to only 50% depth of discharge should last at least 500 cycles. Which for me is over 10 years of use.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most new trailers come standard with 3 stage chargers. My 2018 and now my 2020 both did. I never had an issue with batteries on them.

But I definitely agree, most batteries fail due to misuse or neglect. A battery cycled to only 50% depth of discharge should last at least 500 cycles. Which for me is over 10 years of use.

It’s still the voltage and user defined charge times for specific battery manufacturers that the on-board chargers lack as they all basically charge to 13.2-13.6v and then consider the battery full. I have a 3 stage unit in my trailer, I will not likely ever plug in to shore power to charge the batteries from that.

While these chargers are fine for the majority of people and if you only ever camp with services it’s fine but you are leaving a lot of amp hours on the table as you are only getting 80-90% of your battery capacity for those of us who rely on the batteries. Why pay for 220 amp hours of battery and only get 175 amp hour of charge time, which when halved for the %50 discharge is quite a loss for guys like me who dry camp almost exclusively.

Trojan for example has a very specific charge table for their batteries and people will suggest that they don’t see the value in paying %25 more for these batteries for only %10-15 more battery life but it’s because the on-board charger cannot charge the battery to its potential. This goes for every manufacturer of these deep cycle batteries and some are as high as 15v and you will never get that from an on-board charger as well as temperature compensation which can greatly change the voltage.

For the people who are happy enough then I suggest always buy the cheapest batteries possible and use the rest for your generator. I haven’t used a generator in years and have camped 7-10 days on 2 six volts and never be worried about power. In fact I can go probably an infinite number of days as long as I can have sunshine every few days.

Last edited:

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so you are all aware, interstate makes all of Costco batteries. Bang for the dollar they are pretty hard to beat. For those people with proper charging controllers/solar setups heres the proper charging profile for them. Make sure you are charging them hard at 10-15% of their total AH. Charging Profile.jpg

Top Bottom