Considering SxS

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throwing around the idea of picking up a used SxS. I've been heavy in the ATV world for a while but not sure where to start with a UTV.
All my previous ATVs were built towards mud but not sure if I want to do that again or not, but it's easy to throw trail tires or snow tracks on a mud machine and be way ahead
Leaning towards a maverick at this point but looking for opinions on what to look for or look out for in regards to all brands as I'm not real biased as of now.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2500 hard km on my 2017 rzr 1000s. All I’ve done is a snorkel kit and racer tech springs. Those are a must. The trail s fits in a 10’ toy hauler. Tight trails. Yet does 130km on pavement. This weekend in 6” of snow it will do 115 km across the frozen lake. Polaris isn’t the toughest machine. But no questions asked warranty is everything. Can am turns away almost all warranty issues as wear and tear.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will look at Polaris if you guys have good luck with them, including my current sled is a pro. I know the earlier ones had major suspension problems that I wasnt sure if they were resolved. RZRs seem better priced used also there is just less of them around here.
Buying used so trying to stay away from the political side of it. I have no problem popping into Off Topic for some threads on that though...

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all have their issues, don't let fan boys say one is better. Personally, I would avoid a used mud machine. No telling the abuse it received. When I was looking for my first machine I looked over a couple of snorkeled and lifted machines and they looked beat. You can tell a lot by the miles and condition of things like paint, but might be better off getting mods done yourself unless you can find a factory mav xmr or highlifter rzr with low miles.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will look at Polaris if you guys have good luck with them, including my current sled is a pro. I know the earlier ones had major suspension problems that I wasnt sure if they were resolved. RZRs seem better priced used also there is just less of them around here.
Buying used so trying to stay away from the political side of it. I have no problem popping into Off Topic for some threads on that though...
I saw a nice black used on on kijiji or Alberta buy and sell. 2017 1000s 14,500. Looked mint. That’s a good price. Snorkel doesn’t always mean mud machine. The intakes aren’t in a good location. I did mine for snow. In cold dusty snow the air is pulled in the clutch and air box. Mine are real short but located in the middle to keep them clean.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not 100% set on a highlighter or XMR. I can probably snorkel a non mud machine and move the rad if required on a trail machine and be fine.
When looking at used, any specific things to check on any models or is it just like buying a used quad more or less?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha rhino the boat anchor of the group. If I had to rate it in % to a Polaris 1000 it would come it right around 25% as good and that is rating it high.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha rhino the boat anchor of the group. If I had to rate it in % to a Polaris 1000 it would come it right around 25% as good and that is rating it high.

My buddy had a rhino. Had clutch kits and stuff to make it go better, it only took one ride with my 900 ranger and he sold it that week. He now has a 900 ranger.

If you don’t want to go fast all the time. Check out the 900-1000 ranger. A lift and 30’s they are unstoppable in the mud. And work great for hunting. Just not as good as the rzr when going fast.

craggar2011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on where you ride and what kind of riding you do. I thought about getting a 1000 but for where we ride most of the time it didn't make a lot of sense to spend the extra money so I bought a 700 Wildcat. I like that it's narrow and on the trails it's plenty fast enough.

Buying used can save you a fair bit of money if you find one that's not beat and already has some nice upgrades. Scratched up body panels doesn't mean it's abused either, pretty much the norm for anything that rides on trails. Low km's and well maintained mechanically are what I look for.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned a ranger 800 and a defender max xt 1000. Been very happy with both machines. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy either brand again

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned a ranger 800 and a defender max xt 1000. Been very happy with both machines. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy either brand again

Deaner we talked a long time ago about the defenders and mine hasn't had any issues in 2 years except the fuel guage isn't working properly so in for warranty it gos.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Maverick and I really like it. I don't ride that hard though, but it is a very fun and actually a comfortable ride.
If you are waiting until Spring to buy, give me a call. The way the Winter is going I may be needing to sell it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maverick is crazy warm inside. will boil you drinks. I am talking older versions not X3

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im shall we say stalky and the arctic cat trail i love. Longer legged people might find their knees hitting the dash with no seat adjusment.
0caeccb8cbaaa7ef81939bf8304f17bf.jpg
42846bcc6a530a9d97199cd02e65e0ce.jpg
69f390b69fb53c4fd1575ab21f703986.jpg

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bought a 2015 Wildcat trail about a year or so ago. Have not used it as much as we would like but we have around 600 km without any issues so far. Buying used is a bit of a guessing game as far as condition and maintenance goes. A good cleaning and some detail work can mask a lot of issues. They all can be great machines and they all can have issues. I like our trail a lot. Talk to enough people and you will get a horror story for every brand out there. Best of luck with your search.

Top Bottom