Complacency

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
com·pla·cen·cy
   /kəmˈpleɪsənsi/ Show Spelled[kuhm-pley-suhn-see] Show IPA
–noun, plural -cies.
1.a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc.

Seems like it was a bad weekend out there fellow sledders...we are about half way through the season...maybe a bit more. Looks like we need to step back and remind ourselves how dangerous it actually is out there.

Complacency is something that is always talked about where I work...and it applies here as well. I am not sure if we are thinking that "ohhh, it will never happen to me" or "this area hasn't slid is xx years" but warnings are still fairly high.

Lets not get too comfortable out there... WEAR the gear, USE your brain, play safe and have fun.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its never to early to remind people of the dangers out there! Thanks

salbendidi

Reaction score
i think the beacons shovels and probes should stary home, bring your brain and use it. just cuz u have a avy pack doesnt make it any safer!! or does it mean ur gonna come out alive.

ALOT OF PEOPLE PREACH!! HOW MANY PEOPLE STAND THERE GROUND??

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think the beacons shovels and probes should stary home, bring your brain and use it. just cuz u have a avy pack doesnt make it any safer!! or does it mean ur gonna come out alive.

Your a complete moron to say leave those things at home. Bring them, know how to use them, get the training and update every 3 years. Check your stuff each and EVERY ride.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can never have to much training...always wear your gear, if it stays at home you should stay at home

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anybody stopped and looked at the people whom have perished in avy's very seldom it is locals ..... is it cause they live so close and can go out anytime .... for those of us that travel to get to the hills we are pretty much limited to weekends .... dont want to wait till the next weekend cause someone would of gotten out before you and pounded out the powder....

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anybody stopped and looked at the people whom have perished in avy's very seldom it is locals ..... is it cause they live so close and can go out anytime .... for those of us that travel to get to the hills we are pretty much limited to weekends .... dont want to wait till the next weekend cause someone would of gotten out before you and pounded out the powder....

You make a very valid point here. I consider myself very lucky.....I live about an hour from the best mountain riding in B.C. I can make the choice to go in the morning or not. I realize that for many of the sledders that are heading to the mountains may be driving for 6 or more hours, and have motel rooms booked, etc. Sometimes it's really hard to back out when the weather and conditions aren't cooperating.

BUT, having said that.....these sledders DO have a choice where they ride. You can still head out to the backcountry and keep to the low angled terrain, play in the trees, meadows, cutblocks, etc. Some of our best riding is in such places, where we aren't exposing ourselves to the bigger risks.

Sometimes changing WHO you ride with can make all the difference too. Some guys like to push the envelope, and maybe not everyone in the group will feel comfortable about taking those risks, but are fearful of backing out.

All I can say is that I am deeply saddened by the loss of life already this season, and there is still lots of season left. My biggest wish is that sledders start being more proactive. Take an AST 1 course at a minimum. Wear your gear, know how to use it. Check the CAC forecasts. Use common sense when you're out there, there are visible clues everywhere that will tell you what the conditions are for that day, and how you can manage your riding style to fit with those conditions.

Flange99

Reaction score

I think what you are trying to say is, "If you use your brain, you probably don't even need this equipment". Obviously we'd never actually leave it at home, but I think you make a good point. If you use your avy awareness training and good judgement, good chance you'll never get caught. Notice I said "chance". There are no guarantees, but I belive that most of these accidents are a result of multiple mistakes that just can't be overcome. Proper training, proper equipment, and good judgement help minimize the risks.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This seems to make sense to me as well. People are far more willing to back out if it is a 1/2 hour drive back to their couch if conditions aren't safe. The excitement of being at work until the friday you leave, combined with a 6 hour drive, booked hotel rooms and such can lead people to push things a bit further. Along the same lines, local cats ride that area more often, obtaining more local knowledge through friends/family and their own personal experiences when digging pits. It's really cool to watch the snowpack and how it bonds/doesn't bond during the season.

Not that I want to point fingers, this is something I have thought about previously.

Top Bottom