Commander

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold my Maverick and looking for a new ride . Prolly had it down to a defender or a General , maybe leaning more to the General, but was at Stojans today and saw a new Commander , was really impressed. Never would have even considered the older style Commander , but the new redesign with the rear motor looks pretty cool. Anyone have any opinions or experience with them .

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an x3 and love it, very easy to service so should be similar to the commander

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s the same as my Maverick, just with a dump box. I like mine, but the cab is a lot smaller than the old Commander / Mavericks. Still lots of space for two large bodies, just has no Center console space. Performance is really good, Commanders are clutched for peak torque though so you might want to install the spring and weights from the Maverick if you like to rip. Service is super simple and the machine is easy to clean.

bradb

Reaction score
I have a Commander XMR on order, had a defender xmr and sold it when i saw the commander. Just want something a little more sporty without losing the utility aspect. And the defender xmr rides like a hayrack.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know 2 people running the general. Very happy with them

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my general, no complaints other than I’d like to lower the seat bases a bit, when going down hill I always get this feeling I’m having to look below the top windshield line, sounds kinda weird but once you’ve driven one you’d understand what I’m getting at lol

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Decided on this . Just ordered it , dealer says should be delivered by mid to late March , maybe sooner . Looking forward to getting it out on some trails. 👍

Attachments

• 7C15A873-A26F-42E1-BB3D-2EE7712DC7CF.png
    7C15A873-A26F-42E1-BB3D-2EE7712DC7CF.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 140

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Decided on this . Just ordered it , dealer says should be delivered by mid to late March , maybe sooner . Looking forward to getting it out on some trails. 👍
I have been checking out the new commanders, damn I like them, I think my bank account is going to shrink a bit.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been checking out the new commanders, damn I like them, I think my bank account is going to shrink a bit.
Initially that was what i thought I was leaning towards. Drove the xp trim , then drove the polaris general , then the Yamaha Rmax . My thoughts , the General is hands down far and away the most comfortable, the commander the least . The commander is the loudest cab noise and the ass end sticks up so high , you can hardly see backwards and the cargo box is goofy high to get anything in or out and I’m 6 ft. Also a bit scared of 1 st year anything . The General , most comfortable, good power , nice cargo area , awesome accessories , good 4 x4 system . Most likely the highest maintenance of the 3 , noted reverse chain issues. The Rmax , quietest cab noise, good power , more comfortable then the commander , close to general, visibility good 4 ways, smoothest shifting by far , smoothest belt engagement forward and reverse, good 4x4 diff lock system , most likely lowest maintenance , 10 year belt warranty offered ( in the US) , best fit and finish by far. Don’t really like the shoulder bolster things but maybe get used to them or modify them a bit.
In all 3 I was comparing the models with 30 inch tires and arched a-arms .
Probably all good choices , but IMO , tough to compete with Yamaha quality .

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Initially that was what i thought I was leaning towards. Drove the xp trim , then drove the polaris general , then the Yamaha Rmax . My thoughts , the General is hands down far and away the most comfortable, the commander the least . The commander is the loudest cab noise and the ass end sticks up so high , you can hardly see backwards and the cargo box is goofy high to get anything in or out and I’m 6 ft. Also a bit scared of 1 st year anything . The General , most comfortable, good power , nice cargo area , awesome accessories , good 4 x4 system . Most likely the highest maintenance of the 3 , noted reverse chain issues. The Rmax , quietest cab noise, good power , more comfortable then the commander , close to general, visibility good 4 ways, smoothest shifting by far , smoothest belt engagement forward and reverse, good 4x4 diff lock system , most likely lowest maintenance , 10 year belt warranty offered ( in the US) , best fit and finish by far. Don’t really like the shoulder bolster things but maybe get used to them or modify them a bit.
In all 3 I was comparing the models with 30 inch tires and arched a-arms .
Probably all good choices , but IMO , tough to compete with Yamaha quality .

Yah Yamaha quality is awesome! Do they still have that wet clutch system? Was a weak point in the rhino, but worked great in the quads. That’s a nice ride you got!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah Yamaha quality is awesome! Do they still have that wet clutch system? Was a weak point in the rhino, but worked great in the quads. That’s a nice ride you got!
Copy and paste

A unique centrifugal wet-clutch CVT system is a stand-out feature on the RMAX 1000. A belt-drive system that's always under tension means you can use high or low gearing anytime while out on the trail without fear of damaging your drive belt”

I like the clutch system in the Wolverine , worked very well, same clutch in the Rmax .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Copy and paste

A unique centrifugal wet-clutch CVT system is a stand-out feature on the RMAX 1000. A belt-drive system that's always under tension means you can use high or low gearing anytime while out on the trail without fear of damaging your drive belt”

I like the clutch system in the Wolverine , worked very well, same clutch in the Rmax .
Good choice. Yamaha builds nice stuff I’m looking forward to hearing how you like it when you finally get it out.

Top Bottom