Clutches Blew.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this issue is only with the 2018 and newer CTEC motor sleds...or does it also apply to the 2016-2017 sleds with the Suzuki motors and the Team clutches?

It’s pretty rare to happen on a 16’ / 17’ however It does happen from time to time...it’s just not as frequent, the 18+ has a roller bearing, the clutch face shives are thinner then the 16’s and 17’s The old style had a little more meat on the clutch face shives so they seem to be much better. Same cover though, which is another issue...put a thunder products or Indy specialties primary cover on and you should be good

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shes a full speed wide open climb to back into the riding area. From there itll be easy.

Curious to see if cat will do anything

You will make it!!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be borrowing clutches over a chopper ride! Not likely for something to go wrong that would wreck the other set. Just get it to an easy place to tow.

Even without warranty I hope cat helps you out with this known issue. If not show them the scuff mark on your helmet where the piece hit you

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i get home I'll be pulling my papers on it. Just incase I'm wrong and there is warranty (that would be nice)

Then either way, my dealer shut his doors so I'll give Central cycle a call on monday and see what they know. Take it from there.

Got me worried on the engines now.
So may look at trading it in. Who knows. Ive got to weigh some options and give it some thought.

Dawizman offered to put his clutches on it tomorrow get it up. And out.
Thought about it, its a wicked sweet offer. But should something happen and wreck one of his, well, that'll end his season too. And add a couple more clutches to my bill. Lol.
Are the new clutches back ordered d already?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Threaten to sue. Trust me they do not want litigation. A lawyer could bring multiple peeps to court to testify against them. They would probably give you a new sled to make it go away.
The new sled should only cost you 100K or more and take a couple years to get through the court system. If you win, if not you are just out the money. Lawyers don't threaten they do or they don't. Just remember you are going after a Billion dollar company with corporate lawyers on staff. All this for 5K maybe you need to redo the math?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new sled should only cost you 100K or more and take a couple years to get through the court system. If you win, if not you are just out the money. Lawyers don't threaten they do or they don't. Just remember you are going after a Billion dollar company with corporate lawyers on staff. All this for 5K maybe you need to redo the math?
What I have experienced as a dealer for 25 yrs and talking to dealer friends in the past the customer wins 90% of the time. The manufacturers don't want the general public knowing of litigation and don't want it in the courts. They usually always settle out of court to make it go away. I met a guy whose 2008 Summit XP had his driveshaft break while riding it after a safety bulletin was issued for that very problem. He was climbing a hill, the shaft broke and he went over the bars breaking his femur. He sued and they settled out of court. BRP gave him a new sled for the remainder of his riding life as compensation. They weren't interested in going to court and getting the publicity. Another one recently of a Skandic that burned up. New Skandic for the customer and it was later found out they were refueling it while smoking. They didn't even investigate the claim.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt they will do anything for you but if they do please post it, but i'll be surprise.

My 2017 M8000 caught on fire a month after warranty, the dealer stood by me the whole process to get Textron (Arctic Cat) to cover the manufacturing defect in the wiring. The battery blew up and in the process melted the fuel tank, luckily the whole sled did not burn down. We proved the wiring was wrong and was not being regulated, over charging the battery.
Either way Cat turned their back on us, my dealer was so upset that he personally covered the cost and told me since Textron took over they are impossible to deal with.

I have been a loyal Cat owner since my first 1978 Panther, so some 35years there has been an Arctic Cat in my life. I still have the 17 but as long as Textron owns Arctic Cat i will never purchase another Arctic Cat of any kind.
So when time comes to replacing the 17 M8000 it will be either a Yamaha or Polaris.
BRP is also on the DONOT PURCHASE LIST as they humped me over on a 3 month old engine with 800kms, their so called "BEST" warranty...LOL.

Good luck i hope it works out for you.

powwow

Reaction score
That clutch there is the reason I sold my Cat. Way to common of a problem. Works great, but sketchy. Most guys are inspecting them thoroughly each ride. Usually they crack first. Have to get in there with mirrors to look at the sheaves. The new cluches look like yammy built them so hopefully there good

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah.
Its out.
Pulled the clutches at home.
Need to build a better bracket to put my dial on to check the crank
Break rotor looks okay. Need to rotate it to see it all

Toe guard on that side blew out. Glad i didn't have my foot near there

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt they will do anything for you but if they do please post it, but i'll be surprise.

My 2017 M8000 caught on fire a month after warranty, the dealer stood by me the whole process to get Textron (Arctic Cat) to cover the manufacturing defect in the wiring. The battery blew up and in the process melted the fuel tank, luckily the whole sled did not burn down. We proved the wiring was wrong and was not being regulated, over charging the battery.
Either way Cat turned their back on us, my dealer was so upset that he personally covered the cost and told me since Textron took over they are impossible to deal with.

I have been a loyal Cat owner since my first 1978 Panther, so some 35years there has been an Arctic Cat in my life. I still have the 17 but as long as Textron owns Arctic Cat i will never purchase another Arctic Cat of any kind.
So when time comes to replacing the 17 M8000 it will be either a Yamaha or Polaris.
BRP is also on the DONOT PURCHASE LIST as they humped me over on a 3 month old engine with 800kms, their so called "BEST" warranty...LOL.

Good luck i hope it works out for you.

Jerry from Central Sled and Cycle just called.
Arctic Cat is going to warranty that clutch. And all the damage it caused.
Can't tell you how happy that makes me.
As of now the only issue he said is getting a purple left side panel. It could be a long while. Which is fine. I have all summer.

I'm just super happy with Central and Cat for getting this done.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
As of now the only issue he said is getting a purple left side panel. It could be a long while. Which is fine. I have all summer.

Jerry has been outstanding, my new go to for parts, Wetaskiwin isn't that far too drive, and if you can't make the drive, he ships reasonably as well.

Reactions: RXN

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jerry has been outstanding, my new go to for parts, Wetaskiwin isn't that far too drive, and if you can't make the drive, he ships reasonably as well.
Agreed. With Terry shutting down, Jerry is my new go to. Service is the same as it was (or dare I say better) than at T&T. The drive for me is a bit inconvenient, but I just give them my purolator account and then lI have the parts I need the next morning.

I am just hoping that Jerry can get Cat to cover the primary on one of my '20s that is on the verge of self destruction as well.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to try the new STM cat replacement clutch. I think I will order one for next season.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to try the new STM cat replacement clutch. I think I will order one for next season.
Hmm. I was originally going to pick up two of the new cat clutches, but these look decent.

Do they fit the Ascender plastics?

I really like the roller design on the current clutches, and the super smooth engagement. It's too bad they don't stay together though.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's awesome, glad you have someone with an in with Textron. I find them very difficult to deal with and so does my dealer when it comes to warranty. I waited 8 months before they denied the warranty on the wiring for the wife's sled, i didn't wait, it was up within the week of going down and my dealer has had sleds in his shop with blown engines waiting for warranty replies for 2 months.
But that was last season, maybe they got their crap together, eitherway it gave me a real bad taste of Textron. Don't think i'll get another Cat while they own them or for a while.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How far out of warranty was this sled?

Top Bottom