Clutch weights

PETRC

Reaction score
I have a quick question for anyone with an answer. I have a 2010 assault and it came with mountain clutch weights already installed. I was riding around my town, (don't know the elevation but not very high) and my sled recently started bucking and kicking and burping when I reach 7500rpm's. Could the mountain clutch weights cause this or do you think it may be an engine problem or something? any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the cfi 800's like weight in the clutch,I have the heavy hitter adjustable in my dragon and I'm at 70.5 grams. it came with 62's.when tuning them in I added 7grams and gained 12-13mph.I have had it to 87mph with stock gearing.I would run 66 stock polaris weights.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya you need to put in the 66 or 68 gram weights for around here. lots of guys having the same trouble. if that doesn't fix it then you got to get the new reflash done.

t-bomb

Reaction score
Not sure but have you tried to plug in the little plug by the clutch cover and foot well. I have a 2010 assault and it was bogged once down in lower elevations (trail ride up to play area) and a buddy with a 09 d800 told me about it so I plugged it in. the owners manual say just ensure the fuel doesn't have an ethenol blend.

I run shell premium fuel. I don't think it has it but still not 100% I still only have 80 miles on it. Basically one ride in golden silent pass. Nothing since. I was still breaking it in and the dealer filled the oir res with old school blue oil and I also had a liter of ves gold in the tank for break in.

I need to find more guys and time to ride to tell you more. I found the dealer set up suspension was something stiff for the 40 km trail ride into silent. I think i will try and back off the clickers to soften for next time.

I am not sure about a reflash of the fuel map I thought that was on the 09's unless there is another one.

I hope I don't have to mess around with clutching to ride north of edmonton then change to ride B.C. backcountry.

Polaris better have gotten it right this time or i will be left with a sour taste for sure

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had some backfiring with petro gas when it started for a minute or two until it got running. I put esso gas (which is ethanol blended, petro gas might be too, but i changed gas after this incident) and leave the connector unplugged. I havent had any problems.

Welder was out with us on the weekend and put his gas can of shell premium into the tank only to discover some large chunks of ice in his gas.

Beware.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya there is a new reflash out for the 800's just came out last week. i highly recomend running shell v-power gas. everyone i know that runs it has no problems. i have guys coming into work all the time with bogging issues, poor running, etc. i ask them what gas they are running and they tell me husky or esso. i tell them to use shell and then the problems are gone.

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya there is a new reflash out for the 800's just came out last week. i highly recomend running shell v-power gas. everyone i know that runs it has no problems. i have guys coming into work all the time with bogging issues, poor running, etc. i ask them what gas they are running and they tell me husky or esso. i tell them to use shell and then the problems are gone.
You bet OnlyPolaris. Ran the co-op premium once cause it's close to home. DET light off & on intermittent. Switched back to Shell, DET light is history. Running 68's here & ranging from 8000-8200. Good enough for here! ;)

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
You bet OnlyPolaris. Ran the co-op premium once cause it's close to home. DET light off & on intermittent. Switched back to Shell, DET light is history. Running 68's here & ranging from 8000-8200. Good enough for here! ;)

ive had mine to 8400 and it pulled so hard last winter
now i get 8150 and it sucks, lots of guys are in the same boat, and lots of people r telling me these engines are liking 8400rpm+ sum guys r running twins, head and race fuel and getting 8600-8700rpm and getting at least 15 mph more track speed climbing but there also around the 175 hp mark

PETRC

Reaction score
thanks guys, I'm gonna try using shell V-power gas next time i go out. When i had all the bogging issues i was running fuel from the mohawk station. maybe its shitty gas lol. i'll reply again after my next ride and see if the problem was gas and clutch weights

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im running esso supreme and have no issues 09 , 80 dragon

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I had the reflash done just last week for my trip to vale and the machine run great no issues at all. highly recommend the new reflash IF YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS. Polaris stats that the reflash is only needed if your detonating or backfiring. Just to make it clear I was burning Shell fuel berfore and after I had the reflash and was hitting det levels alot during the day. Hope this helps:)

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Power Commander could greatly increase the performance, but I wish Polaris would get this issue sorted, as the statements made on the forums is leaving a nasty taste in my mouth. I hope it wasn't a mistake parking the Apex this year. 5250 (hard) km, original belt, 3 oil changes, same plugs. Isn't the powerband on these 800's peaked @ 8200? If not, wtf are they holding them back at 8100-8200?
Polaris.... step up, ...... or step out !! :rant:

PETRC

Reaction score
well thx guys it worked. i changed my clutch weight to 10-68, and used shell v-power. check eng light didnt come on at all last ride and it didnt bog on me at all. got 8150 rpms

Top Bottom