Clipping the AXYS Track

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most guys are seeing premature track damage on the AXYS due to Polaris deciding that it is better to clip the tracks where there is no lugs. What happens is the lugs twist forward when loaded, and track belt twists and rotates up and wears on the hyfax slider. Some will look worse than others as the guys who side hill will side load the track more and the track will be pushed over slightly. Guys who trail ride or stay flat may see less of this problem unless they ride in low snow conditions.

My answer to this is to fully clip the track. The 163 needs 56 clips to make the track fully clipped. I bought the Camso windowed clips to try but found they fit poorly on this track. I now have found another clip that has the guide that is very similar to the OEM clip.

I will order 60 of these clips and install. but Here are a few photos of the test install. I decided that I will install the clips with the guide on the outside like some of the OEM's did in the past as this will greatly improve the alignment of the track.

I will be completing when the clips arrive. If there is adequate response here, I will stock the clips and rent or sell the tool.

The cost to do your track will be about $150 approx. and add a couple lbs. to your machine.

There will not be much money in this for us and I don't want to be stuck with 1000 clips so please honestly let me know if this would be something you would consider doing.

Chris

Attachments

• 2016-07-14 08.18.15.jpg
    2016-07-14 08.18.15.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,019
  • 2016-07-14 08.17.54.jpg
    2016-07-14 08.17.54.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,012
  • 2016-07-14 09.53.09.jpg
    2016-07-14 09.53.09.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,026
Last edited:

08dmax

Reaction score
Teh-air can the clips be added to a used track ? And can they be added with the track on the sled still ?

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those clips aren't gonna dig into the lugs too much when they flex are they?
Otherwise I'm in. I'll have to count how many I need for a 155".

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I had to add some clips to a Doo track a year ago, loosened off the track and had no trouble doing it on the machine.

If anyone is interested I have the track clip tool for sale $50.00 Edmonton
686c56406909345781428edb921b1c19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yarr, I'm in, mine looks like its been through war, and I have very few miles. I'll have to count the clips though and get back to you

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the drivers don't touch the clips there should be very little load on them so I don't expect them to move or dig in to the lug.

I am back from vacation now and will clip my track this week and post results.

Chris

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool. Looking forward to the results

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Opps, double post, just delete this one the best I can.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished clipping my 163 x 2.6 track. The track required 56 track clips. It took about 2 hours but I'm pretty sure I could do it in an hour now that I am familiar with the procedure.

I decide to use the clips with the guides to help keep the track in alignment. I also decide to reverse the clips so the guides would run down the outer side of the hyfax. This is probably overkill as the guides on the inside would likely be sufficient and I do risk bending them if the track runs too loose. When on the outside there is no rubber nubs to back the guides for support.

I do realize that this will be 100% successful now as I found out that there is one lug that is clipped on this track as the track has 2 lugs side by side in one location. This lug has the only window on the track that has no gouging.

The tool worked great too although lifting the sled with a forklift made it way easier. Without a forklift I would suggest crimping the clips at the rear bend in the track, under the snow flap. The flap will have to be tied out of the way.

Simply put the clip in place, assemble the crimper over the tool and do a partial squeeze to get the clip to drop down in the jaws. Once in the jaws and all straight, squeeze the handles until your hands touch.

The fourth picture shows the factory clip on the odd lug. This window has no damage.

I will order a few hundred clips into my stock and take orders when they arrive.

Clips are $2 each and $20/day to rent the crimper ($100 deposit) if required. Shipping from Calgary, extra if required.

Chris

Attachments

• image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 588
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 580
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 593
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 578
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are confident this will be the fix!
Put aside 56 for me and the rental.

Also strange that there's one random clip.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

powwow

Reaction score
Did you ever weigh the clips? I would like to know how much rotating mass is added. My track is wearing also. Every axys track I have looked at is doing the same.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
60 clips weigh 3.2 lbs. These are the clips that angle up on the track nub. Not flat clips but gives you an idea. 1000 miles on track now and clips have saved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ever weigh the clips? I would like to know how much rotating mass is added. My track is wearing also. Every axys track I have looked at is doing the same.
I doubt you will notice a difference in track speed/ridability. Maybe if you reset your max values of your rpm/speed before and after you will see it.....

I noticed more of a difference tightening the track to spec and adjusting the rear shock to my fatness level.

powwow

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm sure my track won't see 1000 without doing something to it.

Top Bottom