Chinese diesel heaters for enclosed sled trailer

turbokid

Reaction score
The ribs on my trailer weren’t exactly square. Almost like a T making it hard to snuggly fit the graphite board in under the lips. So spots had gaps along the steel ribs. Last had to chop a bunch of 1 inch strips to fill center of ribs. I figured cold air would get in along them. For the cheap cost of vapor barrier and tuck tape I assumed it would be extra defense between wind and heat loss. Kinda like insulting a house. Also ran it so if water got in the roof part it will run down in the walls where the graphite board is and down instead of running along the wood paneling.

The first pipe I had was sewer pipe. I tested it above the door part and it was like a saggy dong within a half hour on full tilt. So opted to grab the thick wall furnace pipe. Actually way happier with that is it fit the strapping, booster fan and flex pipe way better then the other.

I also feel like a guy could smash a sled or quad into this pipe if it was frozen and it would hold up way better instead of shattering or cracking.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do any of the diesel heaters vent on the left side? Every pic I have seen the air vents on the right.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya I am not sure where the controls are, on top? kind of looked like they were on the side so if you turned it 180 they would be up against the wall.
Ray, just flip the heater end for end (180°).
Is that what you mean

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya I am not sure where the controls are, on top? kind of looked like they were on the side so if you turned it 180 they would be up against the wall.
The control panel is on the end (vent side) if you’re looking at the red enclosed heaters. The ones that are just the components, you can mount the panel where you want. Mind you, you can do that to both of them.

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ribs on my trailer weren’t exactly square. Almost like a T making it hard to snuggly fit the graphite board in under the lips. So spots had gaps along the steel ribs. Last had to chop a bunch of 1 inch strips to fill center of ribs. I figured cold air would get in along them. For the cheap cost of vapor barrier and tuck tape I assumed it would be extra defense between wind and heat loss. Kinda like insulting a house. Also ran it so if water got in the roof part it will run down in the walls where the graphite board is and down instead of running along the wood paneling.

The first pipe I had was sewer pipe. I tested it above the door part and it was like a saggy dong within a half hour on full tilt. So opted to grab the thick wall furnace pipe. Actually way happier with that is it fit the strapping, booster fan and flex pipe way better then the other.

I also feel like a guy could smash a sled or quad into this pipe if it was frozen and it would hold up way better instead of shattering or cracking.

Do you mind telling me spec/where you got wall furnace pipe. I googled and it came up with double wall metal.
Thanks

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had some time today to install the heater. Pretty happy with the results. It’s definitely out of the way from the sleds or sxs.

Attachments

• 852E06E7-A012-413E-B896-46555F0BE634.jpeg
    852E06E7-A012-413E-B896-46555F0BE634.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 527E291A-FB44-4230-B414-B839F2081C34.jpeg
    527E291A-FB44-4230-B414-B839F2081C34.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 359
  • C82E49D7-6A32-4F2E-8C5D-B26E959E589D.jpeg
    C82E49D7-6A32-4F2E-8C5D-B26E959E589D.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 365
  • BB4CF7F8-7192-4117-B689-3B6A1C50AF4E.jpeg
    BB4CF7F8-7192-4117-B689-3B6A1C50AF4E.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 359

Heavybrewster

Reaction score
Do you have batteries on this trailer? This is the one that I have in my garage. My 12V power supply is on a switch so that the fan doesn't run all the time. If you don't have batteries, then I would install a switch to avoid backfeeding the power supply from your truck. You'll have to stick this description into Amazon. It won't let me link it (just comes up with a media error).

12V 20A Power Supply, NEWSTYLE Voltage Transformer AC 110V / 220V to DC 12V 20A 240W Converter Switch Power Supply​

How do you install a relay so when you plug into shore power the diesel heater switches to draw from the converter power supply and not the 12v battery?

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had some time today to install the heater. Pretty happy with the results. It’s definitely out of the way from the sleds or sxs.
Where did you buy your exhaust assembly for going out the wall of the trailer, very neat and tidy (y)?

• Thanks
Reactions: zal

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy your exhaust assembly for going out the wall of the trailer, very neat and tidy (y)?
Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B07T662QMF
I had to machine a spigot to fit inside the exhaust tube that came with the heater once I cut it and to fit the outside of the exhaust port. If you don’t cut the exhaust tube, it fits nicely.

@#&$!!! I paid $130!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you install a relay so when you plug into shore power the diesel heater switches to draw from the converter power supply and not the 12v battery?
I know nothing about your set up - is the heater connected directly to the battery or the converter right now? Depends on how complex you want it to be and if you want other stuff to be powered by the converter or the batteries without the heater operating or if you have an inverter installed for any 120V stuff. You'd need a 12VDC relay either normally closed or normally open (i'm guessing wired in on the battery side and then it would be normally closed with no power to the converter? - once you plug in the converter it would open the battery circuit and close for the inverter?). It's really going to depend on which side of the circuit you are giving priority to, and where in the system its placed. I'm not familiar with all the options and I'm not an electrician so my advice is call a trailer place and see what they have to say. There are probably better options out there since many people are using 12VDC solar as primary sources so its likely they could recommend a relay that will work. They might tell you a breaker on the circuits is the easiest option.

Heavybrewster

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. Figured it out using just a standard relay. Making progress on the trailer, slowly coming together

Attachments

• 20211213_204831.jpg
    20211213_204831.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 201

RJP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the chinese heaters adjust for altitude automatically?
Website says nothing, the expensive webasto heaters auto compensate.
I live at 3k feet and haul my trailer up to 10k feet.

Edit: they do adjust, helps if i read more!

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got mine a couple of days ago. It seems that if you ran some extra length of exhaust on the inside of the trailer before venting outside that you would keep more heat in. Anyone do this?

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes, they’re adjustable, manually.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got mine a couple of days ago. It seems that if you ran some extra length of exhaust on the inside of the trailer before venting outside that you would keep more heat in. Anyone do this?
Possibly. But to let you know, I barely touched the exhaust and burned myself really good.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

no. I set mine manually

Top Bottom