Chev/GM 8.1L Gas

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have found 2 of these trucks, with very low KM's and in damn decent shape for the years (2001)

Yay or Nay?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found 2 of these trucks, with very low KM's and in damn decent shape for the years (2001)

Yay or Nay?
Goods and bads lol

Goods, has power and 5 speed allison trans

Bads, gas gas and more gas
They tend to like oil, I would run 5w 40 year round it will help alot ( 5w30 is too thin and they run hot)

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2003 for two or three years and really liked it. It could pass anything except a gas station…lol.

Actually it wasn’t to bad if not towing anything…17-18 litres per 100 at 120kph, the problem was the small gas tank. I used to carry a 5 gallon Jerry can on all road trips.

highspeedss

Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.ca
Goods and bads lol

Goods, has power and 5 speed allison trans

Bads, gas gas and more gas
They tend to like oil, I would run 5w 40 year round it will help alot ( 5w30 is too thin and they run hot)
One way oil consumption can be reduced is by running a high quality synthetic oil specifically designed to fight oil evaporation at high operating temps.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best front end with the raised hood !!!! Put some clear corners, and some 2008+ clear cab lights if you got on now.
2003+ rear silverado tail lights

Buy it knowing full well you will only get 10mpg on a good day and fall in love. A supercharger or a turbo wont do jack for fuel as you know

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1.55 per liter for gas in ktown not sure a 8.1 motor is the way to go, they better be giving it away. Mayself i would just buy an old diesel. Be way better on fuel . Old diesels are great no computers ch!t or emissions crap

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much trashy? they are super solid trucks, pull like a bear.. I have one in a 32' motorhome and tow 10k regularly, not easy on fuel but reliable as hell and cheap to fix.oil consumption which is "expected" with these stopped immediately when I switched to 5w40.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teeroy has one. PM him.
Ya, mine is an '06 with the Allison 6 speed. Been trouble free the last 15 years...plug wires, plugs, tires, and a few batteries. Does it use a lot of fuel? You bet. but no worse than a 6.0 liter in the same configuration when empty, and better mileage when loaded. All I use it for these days is pulling my 5th wheel and the odd pilot car job. The drivetrain will long outlive the chassis.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an '01 and my experience was the same as teeroy. Dad had the same year of 6.0 and our unloaded mileage was virtually identical.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an ‘01 2500HD with the 8.1/Allison combo. Great truck! I agree with others here that the mileage was inline with a 6L (I drove several as company trucks, and know their mileage capabilities quite well). This combo is a better pulling machine, rather than a hot rod…
I also agree that a diesel of the similar vintage, were extremely fuel efficient compared to these gas trucks. Aside from the extra maintenance costs, the diesel with comparable Km's, would be a better choice….!?

Top Bottom