Change a 163 to a 154

Highmaintenence

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 Summit with a 163' track and was thinking changing to a 154'. Anyone done this before? Do I need to buy a new a track, rails, suspension...

330AC

Reaction score
i went the other way and stretched my 154. I ended up buying a complete suspension for a SM member and doing a gear change. should have swapped sleds, saved a bunch of work for both!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ya this makes absolutely no sense.

you really cant do it properly without changing the complete frame at a cost of 5000$

if it had been extended to a 163 you could fix it but not if its stock.

you will need new track and rails forsure.

you could run the 154 track and rails under the 163 tunnel but how stupid would that look? not to mentionn the sled will be handing up on thee rear bumper every time you wheelie.

another option but a pain in the azz would be to shorten or replace the cooler with a 154 length then hack the extra tunel off and fabricate a different rear end

163 is the way to go whats your issue with it?

finndoo

Reaction score
I would trade you too if I were near you. For most people the 154 is the preference, but for the type of riding I do the 163 would suit me better. Look around and I am sure someone close by you is willing to do a cooler\rails\track\gear swap and it would cost next to nothing for you.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to me its like turning on lights. If you put lots of lights in you can allways turn them off. If you dont have the lights in you cant turn them on. If you have a 163 its always there to rely on. If you are running a 154 in the deep snow and could use a 163, if you dont have you cant rely on it. 163 all the way.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to me its like turning on lights. If you put lots of lights in you can allways turn them off. If you dont have the lights in you cant turn them on. If you have a 163 its always there to rely on. If you are running a 154 in the deep snow and could use a 163, if you dont have you cant rely on it. 163 all the way.

Are you in sales? :d

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shorting a track is like cuttin off a part of your D**K .... like WTF!!!:eek::eek:

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking it would be a bit easier to handle....

It's less than 4.5" of track on the snow so not going to make a lot of difference on the handling but the 163" gives you some extra lugs in the snow to hook up on a climb and with the extra 72 square inches of track on the snow you will not tunnel as soon when you start to loose track speed on a climb.

Reaction score
I have a 09 summit x 154 and live in the north edmonton area and would possibly be interested in trading you straight across. i have a place we could spend a week-end switching them over and have a few beers let me know what you think how many k/m are on your sled and is the track in good shape?

Reaction score
I also have a 09 XP 154 and would be interested in tradeing tracks complete swap give me a reply and lets "get er done" i'm in the north edmonton area and have access to a shop and tools lets rock

Top Bottom