Chainsaw Recomendations

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice saw, You will be happy with it, run premium, drain gas when you are not using the saw in the next few days, should run good and be reliable for many years

Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one. Seems like a great little saw but the operator is pretty hard on chains. This saw comes on special every now and the for $250 with a case and sometimes other small throw ins. Check around

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally i wouldn't touch anything under 50cc. If your 45cc is still good save it for your limbing saw and get a big boy for the heavy stuff. The smaller ones vibrate lots and you will get hand fatigue quick if your doing lots of cutting. I use a 35cc for limbing and and older 88cc for falling. LOVE the 88! Its the bomb cuts without any pressure just chugs through anything. I burn 5-7 cords a year so do a fair bit of cutting.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is heavier for sure but does way more work faster. I also have a mid size 57ccxp professional saw, I only bring that one out when something goes wrong with the others. It revs like a sob and the hand numb takes about 5 min to kick in.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 290 is a good saw its a 55cc can do falling and limbing if you only carry one saw. new one would be a 291 with emmissions blah blah and such.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also if a guy has a bigger saw you can put on say, a 24 inch bar which helps on the long days because you dont have to hardly bend over when your bucking. A 16" bar on a small saw will still kill your body 4 hours into back to back cutting.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I went bigger than the one I have, it has to come with an operator. Maybe Tesla will come up with an "auto-cutter pilot" things. I mean if he can land a first stage rocket upright on a barge this should be easy

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Food for thought. a stihl 251 is 5.3kg, a 291 is 5.6kg and my 288 is 7.5kg so really not alot of difference. but twice the power at lower rpm

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really depends on what you are doing with the saw! if your making your living cutting rees bigger is better, a bit overkill for an occasional 6 inch tree. the 250 should have anti-vibration and a few other nice touches, for occasional homeowner use you can't go wrong.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the 290 farm boss also....prob 6 years old. Good saw. I only use it two or three times a year...I have never drained the gas between uses...but only run premium with a little sea-foam in the tank.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the 290 farm boss also....prob 6 years old. Good saw. I only use it two or three times a year...I have never drained the gas between uses...but only run premium with a little sea-foam in the tank.
seafoam is a good idea, you shouldn't have to drain the gas then, just that a lot of saws get used once a year, and carb jets get munged

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl, bought it years ago through a closed bid process (beat my friends bid by $0.04, he was not happy with me). That saw runs like a top it has never given me any problems.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 250. I like the tool less chain setup but hate the easy start. It also leaks oil out of the res. I think I will go back to husky for the next one. It is a good size for trail work. If I was cutting big stuff all day I'd go bigger.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 250. I like the tool less chain setup but hate the easy start. It also leaks oil out of the res. I think I will go back to husky for the next one. It is a good size for trail work. If I was cutting big stuff all day I'd go bigger.

I have the easy start to, not a fan of it either. My saw is a Stihl 180 it's small light weight easy to pack. I have had it for 6-8 years now and has been a great saw. I don't cut wood to heat my house just fire wood for camping and trail maintenance, it's perfect for that. I have bucked up some pretty large trees with it.

Top Bottom