Chainsaw for use on the trail.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Milwaukee 18V - 8" saw from Home Deopt which arrived on Jan 6. This was an xmas gift for stepfather seems like a nice compact good quality unit. Have to get one for myself. There is a 12V one that is 6" that is readily available. The 18V one was recently released so just arriving at stores.
Seriously considering getting 1 of these and calling it good, all ready have batteries. Nice and compact with a case and the reviews and pics are really good as well. Price is a bit of a throat charmer but then again it's the Red stuff lol!!

781b28c1-a4ef-5d4d-af5d-0608e3ea7fae
d5d0ea3a-fd09-5b9b-9358-ed3752898193

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those old power poles?
That's what it looked like to me. M18 is hard to come by right now, might just grab that 20v D some guys on here have looks/seems like it can do the job on the trail plus some.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This past July, I was on a one-week jetboat excursion. I always pack my Milwaukee 18v saw in the boat.
I received an email notification in early December that Milwaukee was introducing the new 18 volt 8" Bar Chain, I ordered it from Home Depot as KMS didnt even show it in there system yet. Where did you find an 18v one in July?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
That's what it looked like to me. M18 is hard to come by right now, might just grab that 20v D some guys on here have looks/seems like it can do the job on the trail plus some.
I ordered at home Depot on Dec 14 as soon as they were available on there site, then it arrived at the store for pickup on Jan 4

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I received an email notification in early December that Milwaukee was introducing the new 18 volt 8" Bar Chain, I ordered it from Home Depot as KMS didnt even show it in there system yet. Where did you find an 18v one in July?
I have had the saw for 3 years now, bought it in 2019 or 2020, first year they came out.
It's the m18 fuel, has a 16" bar on it, I think we may be talking about a different saw? Its been around for a few years now.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That little 170 is a great saw for the quad
Doesn’t like old gas

Goes on sale every now and then and can come with a case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUS

Reaction score
I think that MS170 normally comes with a 16” bar but we order them with a 14” bar at work to keep them a little smaller.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always run aspen fuel in those chainsaws, unless you burn lots of fuel like a faller.

Last edited:

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you watch these come on sale in the Spring for around $200. Plus they dont run out of battery. I bought one and throw it in the side by side. Been a good saw

View attachment 264892
Thanks i looked at these as well and liked the smallness of these so as not take up room on the machine to much. That is a big plus for myself when out riding as i pack my drone and other essentials, only down side was it is a gas model thus having to pack extra's maybe and leakage, as well as i do not want to put a press mount on and all ready have a gas saw. Did a fair amount of research on various saws over the past few days, thanks to this thread lol. I really just wanted a lightweight batt saw with no fuss that would cut a 10inch tree if needed. There are lots to be had online and in store for sure and 1 must do some research. That being said i have decided to pull the trigger on a Stihl 140 battery model and think i should get at least the 3years warranty out of it, as i have other Stihl equip just not batt power and wanted this for light stuff around the house and camping/trail riding. Time will tell, if i get 3years out of it then i feel i have got my $$,s worth. As decent batt saws are not that consumer friendly on pricing right now and i can only see them going up as the season gets warmer and peeps get out more. 1 thing for sure is these peeps that own these lithium mines are making a killing because batts are not cheap either and half the cost or more than the tool.

Last edited:

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one I was referring to was this the new 18 volt hatchet. Nice compact saw, they finally came out with them in 18v with a 8" chain.
View attachment 264907

I very much liked this model as well, but unfortunately these are very far and few between and have sold out across Canada. Did not want to wait either as i can see these either holding their price or going up with the current economic state. Down the road i might purchase this model as well as would be great for pruning and tight area's and packing with a guy boondocking, as i have the batts all ready. Definitely quality and batt life is a plus for any of these cordless tools, another reason why i selected Stihl from 1 of our supporting vendors on this site.:)

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Project Farm on you tube.
He’s done comparisons on multiple saws.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting chat
I would never of thought of a drone being essential
Personally I would of packed gas over a drone
But guess I am dating myself

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting chat
I would never of thought of a drone being essential
Personally I would of packed gas over a drone
But guess I am dating myself

I can send that drone 20km if needed, xtra gas is always packed for machine.:)

Top Bottom