Chainsaw for use on the trail.

WinchBreaker

Reaction score
I think I need to get a chainsaw for the trails this summer. Last year, two of favorite trails had very large impassable trees blocking the trails. Does anyone have experience with strapping a gas or electric chainsaw to their quad. Does it survive the trail abuse from hard, fast, and fun riding and still work when needed? Anyone use a battery powered saw for trees on the trail? Thanks in advance,

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 20volt DeWalt saw with 12" bar that works pretty good, it's not super fast but by time a guy gets a gas saw started and warmed up I'm done. It's small and light. IMO the minimum battery you want is 5ah, and that battery cuts enough wood for a weekend of camp fires. The 60volt ones are more powerful, but if I was spending that much I'd probably just get a gas saw.

No matter what you get I wouldn't get it soaked in water or mud. Mine rides in the back of my RZR and hasn't broke yet, but it really doesn't see water.

p_1001088322.jpg

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Milwaukee m18 12ah chain saw it works great would recommend, am sure the dewalt would be similar.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2nd that, gas saw rattles around even in a press. I find mine get bounced around in the hot weather and the gas/oil pressures out making a mess. Hard to start sometimes being shooken. I do like the electric but again need to keep it dry. The milwaukee m12-m18 saws work well for me. The small 6 inch is great for zipping the small stuff and is super light. Keep it handy for spring trail clean up.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 60 volt dewalt. It’s pretty good. Not a replacement for a gas saw for power or big jobs, but it’s perfect to carry for riding. No gas leaking in your lunch. It’s instant, quiet, and decent run time. I keep it in the sealed box on the back of the rzr. It fits just right so it doesn’t flop around much.

But I have forgotten it out in the rain 3 times so far 🤦. That fawks the battery not the saw! It should have a sealed battery box with a flip open cover like their 9 1/2 inch chop saw.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a 18” Ego with two batteries on my Maverick for the last few years. Like said above, being bounced all day with large elevation changes is not kind on most of the gas saws I’ve seen out in the mountains. It’s pretty windy down here so having to cut through 20+ large trees on a single ride is not uncommon. I chose Ego due to its cut speed and very common bar and chain that are cheap and used by many 18” gas saws. Can buy them anywhere.

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I ordered the Milwaukee 18V - 8" saw from Home Deopt which arrived on Jan 6. This was an xmas gift for stepfather seems like a nice compact good quality unit. Have to get one for myself. There is a 12V one that is 6" that is readily available. The 18V one was recently released so just arriving at stores.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
lots of the group I ride with in the Winter have the Dewalt 20v saws they are quite impressive honestly what they can go through, don't push them like you would a gas saw.

We used one along with our gas saws when we were clearing bush this spring for our cabin, it worked well, and was super handy to have.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 80v greenworks with an 18 inch bar, it cuts around the same speed as 45cc gas chainsaw. It will cut around 40 16 inch blocks on a battery. I still have not got around to a shoot out with others saw yet. Costco.ca has them, i bought mine from Canadiantire.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Dewalt 60V saw as well. While it wouldn't be the best to take down a forest it's great for cleaning up trail, and will go through a lot. Must have for me because my Defender is usually the widest thing on the trail.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 20volt DeWalt saw with 12" bar that works pretty good, it's not super fast but by time a guy gets a gas saw started and warmed up I'm done. It's small and light. IMO the minimum battery you want is 5ah, and that battery cuts enough wood for a weekend of camp fires. The 60volt ones are more powerful, but if I was spending that much I'd probably just get a gas saw.

No matter what you get I wouldn't get it soaked in water or mud. Mine rides in the back of my RZR and hasn't broke yet, but it really doesn't see water.

p_1001088322.jpg
That is a nice compact size to bring along and not have to buck up a cord of wood to get by. I myself would most likely invest in a unit this size. As opposed to bring my Hqvrna 18 inch mammoth, something like this would strap nicely to my quad and not take up to much space and is just right to cut a decent size tree. Have to make sure and bring it a raincoat for those hard rain days going 100 back to camp though lol.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 80v greenworks with an 18 inch bar, it cuts around the same speed as 45cc gas chainsaw. It will cut around 40 16 inch blocks on a battery. I still have not got around to a shoot out with others saw yet. Costco.ca has them, i bought mine from Canadiantire.
What battery do you have?

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any size saw will travel well on the rack on your quad. And the gas can
At least 3 bungees for the saw and make sure it is snug front to back and won’t bounce around

I find it better on the front rack so you can see if it’s getting loose and if you can’t get it snug enough with the bungees, loop your winch back over it and really snug it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
usually the only messy part is chain oil as it drips or is left over on the saw. I bring a litre of bar oil with me. Leave the saw oil tank empty. Only fill the saw chain oil tank if I need to use the saw. Sure keeps everything nice and clean this way. JMO on how to haul your saw around.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What battery do you have?
I have both batteries the 2 and a 5. The 5 amp will cut limb and buck up 2 100 foot trees the 2 will not quite make it through one of those. But i only the 2 along and i cut a lot of trees on the road 15 or so and it was still going when the chain came off, no wrench of coarse.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an electric chain saw story to relate that you may be interested in.
This past July, I was on a one-week jetboat excursion. I always pack my Milwaukee 18v saw in the boat.
It is stowed in the live well that is used as a storage compartment with boat recovery gear.
The live well has a drain hole and generally the plug is in place but for some weird reason I never put the plug in this time around.
We were packing a lot of gear that day. Anyhow on that day about 45min on the water I noticed water spewing out of the live well door hatch.
After stopping I opened the hatch and found all the gear completely submerged, the live well was full of water.
We went to shore and I pulled all the gear out and drained the live well. Found the plug had been left out.
Anyhow, in that gear was the Milwaukee saw, I drained the water the best I could by flipping it upside down and back and forth. I though for sure it was "F" but after spraying some WD40 on the battery contact it flashed up and worked flawlessly the entire trip.
And to this day it hasn't missed, it has been on several trips last summer since.
I definitely do not recommend submerging your saw but as far as I'm concern the Milwaukee handles moisture extremely well, a lot of moisture. So now I don't worry about it being in the rain while it is being in use.

Top Bottom