Cattaract Creek.

jetcheker

Reaction score
Hey Polar, we made it down there about 12, left later than we wanted from Red Deer, Staged from Etherington. Tried to get over to Cataract to see if you were still there but found out our newly aquired 600 RMK was a bit more thirsty than I thought. Cant hook up this week for Corbin but would like to give it a go maybe in two weeks or until more fluffy stuff hits Cataract. Maybe hook up with u then.
First time to the Cataract area and it is def. a must come back to spot. Cudos to the trail crews. And thanks everyone for the directions. Jmercer your directions were bang on.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey jet how long did ya stay ... hopefully that sled let ya play for at least three hours... looking at the forecast for later this week in blairmore
not looking to good as of now.. but wait ten minutes it will change

jetcheker

Reaction score
Hi Polarice, we stayed for about that (3hrs) enough to get it out of my system for a day or so. Prayin to the snow gods like everyone else. How far is Corbin from Inn on the Border? Also watching the wx for Cataract

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
corbin is about 5 miles west of the border then down the to the old town site but there is a few staging areas along that road
go to mountain memories website gives ya directions to most of the staging areas around blairmore

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type of riding is available at Cataract Creek...trail riding, boondocking or hill climbing? All 3 or any of the 3.

I have heard mention of Fording Pass, any hill climbs there? What is the draw here?

Looking to try the area this next week.

Oh ya and hows the snow at Cataract Creek?

Thanks

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fording Pass is wide open everyone!!!!Trail in isn't to beat up yet.About 2 feet of fresh snow just before the last climb.
Lots of drifted snow on the summit.4-5 feet in the back bowls on the BC side.We broke trail all the way there, nothing but snow in the face all day!Lots of getting stuck to.:mad:
Summit of Fording Pass.
IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

First ones in!!!!
IMG_1061.jpg

On the BC side.
IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fording Pass is wide open everyone!!!!Trail in isn't to beat up yet.About 2 feet of fresh snow just before the last climb.
Lots of drifted snow on the summit.4-5 feet in the back bowls on the BC side.We broke trail all the way there, nothing but snow in the face all day!Lots of getting stuck to.:mad:
Summit of Fording Pass.
IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

First ones in!!!!
IMG_1061.jpg

On the BC side.
IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

WOW, that looks nice...how hard of riding is it to get in there?

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ride in is fairly easy once the the trail is broke in.Here are some shots of the same area last year.
Pass summit.
IMG_0756.jpg

BC side.
IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catarac/Etherington Creek area is about 1/2 hour west of Longview.You basically drive to the Highwood junction,where the highway closure is,then turn left(south).Follow the gravels road(usually snow covered by now) for 5min to get to Etherington loading area and 8min to Catarac parking.Both enter the same trail network.
If any one wants to set up a trip some time let me know.I would be happy to play guide for a day!

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.I hope to get down there next Sunday.More snow in the forcast this week too....heeee

slabm7

Reaction score
Catarac/Etherington Creek area is about 1/2 hour west of Longview.You basically drive to the Highwood junction,where the highway closure is,then turn left(south).Follow the gravels road(usually snow covered by now) for 5min to get to Etherington loading area and 8min to Catarac parking.Both enter the same trail network.
If any one wants to set up a trip some time let me know.I would be happy to play guide for a day!

That would be great, I've been to Cataract before but never to Fording pass, it would be nice to have a tour guide to get to know the area, when are you available to head out?

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have to see what work is gonna be like this week but how dose this Saturday sound?

snodawg

Reaction score
Great pics neddacsac. I usually do Fording Pass once a year, snow permitting. Thats the most snow I've seen going across the top in a few years.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year we went over twice.I can still remember that horrable sound of my ski's over the shale.I had better go talk nice to the old girl.Tell her that I still lover her.Maybe she will understand if I go over with snow actually up there.

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think three of us are planning to go to Cataract this coming Sat. We'd like to check out Fording Pass, how about meeting up with someone Sat morning to see the sites?

Hirmkin

Reaction score
I haven’t been there in a few years but is the shale trail covered with snow usually it has no snow? Also did they rebuild the bridge over that one nasty creek?
Did you guys trench the two bigger hills on the AB side one hill just before the shale trail and the one after the shale? How deep is the snow on the BC side?
The reason I ask my kids are old enough to make the ride over if the conditions are right?
Thanks

Attachments

• Catarack creek BC side.jpg
    Catarack creek BC side.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 169
Top Bottom