Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

Reaction score
Doesn't look like there is much snow there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was plenty..... that picture is just from an open, wind-blown slope..... the trails were just fine (at least for my newbie standards)....

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about a ride Thursday, can't head to Golden as I have some new years plans I gotta be back for. Let me know if anyone is looking for someone to tag along with, prefer to head to Fording but worst case can do some trail riding. Got all avy training, equipment, good rider, etc...

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nakiska is only showing 3cm snow and the Lost Creek South Weather station is only showing ~2cm too...

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might be interested in going to Fording. ive only been once so i dont trust myself in leading the way

katealim

Reaction score
I can not make it out to Cataract today but will tomorrow, and I am hoping someone who goes there posts current conditions. I am expecting good, new snow news........
Heading out there now. Will update conditions tonight!

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
youve been there enough to know the way in and out? might have a few noobs that may interested in tagging along if you dont mind

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am interested, I live in S Calgary and have all Avi gear and know how to use it. Reasonably experienced Mnt rider with a
16 AXYS. Any chance I could throw on and buy the fuel.
Rich 403-243-5769 text if interested...Thanks

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode the trails today. Good day. Plenty of fresh powder down past the end of skyline. Easily 3ft in the non-tracked areas.

How much fresh was there from the storm (as in on the trail)? Thinking that 3ft was probably off the trail?

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to try to get out on new years day for a short run with my 5yr old but need some riding partners. If any other family riders are planning a trip and dont mind some company let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The storm from Monday dropped an inch at cataract, more at Fording. I'd say 6" powder in open areas, double that in the trees.
06a36c794d53cb56a32cdcfbb896a2f7.jpg

Just a reminder no riding until you're on the BC side....

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How tough is it to get to Fording pass from Cataract creek? is the trail marked? and is it ok for beginners? wanting to take my daughter out there.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How tough is it to get to Fording pass from Cataract creek? is the trail marked? and is it ok for beginners? wanting to take my daughter out there.

Trail is not marked well. Not a good place to take beginners or if you haven't been there before. Creek crossings, side hill spots, hills, rocky sections and potential for Avalanches.

The trail system itself out there is a great place for beginners

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got out yesterday for the first time this year. Started off in Etherington and ventured over to Cataract covering a lot of the trail system. Went over Skyline and checked out some of the logging that is being done in the area. So many new roads to follow, new cut blocks. A few times we had a general idea where we were so I wont say that we were losts but wow it was pretty cool. Hope they do not deactivate the roads entirely, sure will be a huge upgrade to the area if they leave it as is.
I was a little worried about hearing they were logging in the area but depending on what they do next this could be a very good thing.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Got out yesterday for the first time this year. Started off in Etherington and ventured over to Cataract covering a lot of the trail system. Went over Skyline and checked out some of the logging that is being done in the area. So many new roads to follow, new cut blocks. A few times we had a general idea where we were so I wont say that we were losts but wow it was pretty cool. Hope they do not deactivate the roads entirely, sure will be a huge upgrade to the area if they leave it as is.
I was a little worried about hearing they were logging in the area but depending on what they do next this could be a very good thing.

Logging is usually a good thing for sledding!

Flyer

Reaction score
On Saturday I flew out to Cataract Creek to scope it out from above. I've only riden there once and wanted to know what I'd missed. The snow looked pretty skinny from the air. I flew west of Cataract staging area across the divide, and then came back into Alberta over Fording Pass. There were plenty of tracks over Fording. Lots of rocks showing through the wind blown saddle. There didn't appear to be much more snow on the BC side than on the AB side.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I saw you... Unless another single engine plane was over the area.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
On Saturday I flew out to Cataract Creek to scope it out from above. I've only riden there once and wanted to know what I'd missed. The snow looked pretty skinny from the air. I flew west of Cataract staging area across the divide, and then came back into Alberta over Fording Pass. There were plenty of tracks over Fording. Lots of rocks showing through the wind blown saddle. There didn't appear to be much more snow on the BC side than on the AB side.

Did you take any pics???

Top Bottom