Cataract Creek Area snow conditions and trail condition thread for 2022/23

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The club has done a good job with the trails. The weather felt like March. We went over Fording and into the bowls. Some fresh would make it fun. Attempted to go to the Elk valley the way we used to go but thought better of sidehilling across a slope with pretty firm snow. Speaking of snow it was strange on the BC side. Felt like riding in sand sometimes. It didn't setup with a track. It was a strange colour too, like ash grey. We also went wsy down south as far as Honeymoon creek. Put 150km on. Caught sunset from the Skyline trail. Not a breath of wind.

Attachments

• 20230114_121504.jpg
    20230114_121504.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 20230114_170357.jpg
    20230114_170357.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20230114_170305.jpg
    20230114_170305.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 20230114_131623.jpg
    20230114_131623.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 196

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The club has done a good job with the trails. The weather felt like March. We went over Fording and into the bowls. Some fresh would make it fun. Attempted to go to the Elk valley the way we used to go but thought better of sidehilling across a slope with pretty firm snow. Speaking of snow it was strange on the BC side. Felt like riding in sand sometimes. It didn't setup with a track. It was a strange colour too, like ash grey. We also went wsy down south as far as Honeymoon creek. Put 150km on. Caught sunset from the Skyline trail. Not a breath of wind.
Wow that's a busy day.
Good old Fording sugar. Warmer weather and minimal New snow in the last month.

It's crazy how far the coal dust will travel. Have seen the layers back there in snow pack from the dust. Even see it on the sled/floor of house after drying gear out.

Travco28

Reaction score
Its decent trail riding . Snow is really low. Nice place for a rip on the sled to burn a couple litters . Wait for a reset before you go . It needs a good dump like most places .

BubbleNuts

Reaction score
Its decent trail riding . Snow is really low. Nice place for a rip on the sled to burn a couple litters . Wait for a reset before you go . It needs a good dump like most places .
Yep. Is fording pass the best spot to go to?

Stevemtb

Reaction score
If you’re coming from Lethbridge you’re far better to go to Fernie than trying to catch a rare pow day at fording. There are days when fording is fun but they’re few and far between. Gets a lot of wind back there and turns it rock hard, along with long dry spells and lots of heat. If you’re looking for trail riding then cataract is better for that.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re coming from Lethbridge you’re far better to go to Fernie than trying to catch a rare pow day at fording. There are days when fording is fun but they’re few and far between. Gets a lot of wind back there and turns it rock hard, along with long dry spells and lots of heat. If you’re looking for trail riding then cataract is better for that.
Couldn’t agree more….

Unless a person lives relatively close, I have no idea why anyone would choose to ride there. Anywhere south, you might as well go to the CNP or Fernie. Anywhere north, and you might as well carry on to BC.

BubbleNuts

Reaction score
Ok good to know. I think it’s 2:15 to the turn to cataract and like 2:30 to fernie town for us. 1:30 to the cnp or even castle. Our neighbors ride castle and say they love it. We don’t know it all right now so might wait to go with them to get to the good areas. We also going with some family friends early Feb to cnp so they might tour us around. We went last March but didn’t really know where we were going. Fernie dad knows pretty good and it’s nice since them temps stayed colder in the warm stretch and the snow looked quite good from there still from the grooming video i sea today. Even though it would all be tracked out still probably better snow

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What year was that?
Families don’t sled anymore…. Too expensive.
😆
I go to get away from the family. Lol

All jokes aside, I do sled with the kid but forcing him to ride tick's me off. He's still ripping the 120, almost ready for cataract, if he ever asks to join me...

Last edited:

BubbleNuts

Reaction score
Last year there was a guy and his wife with a kid on a 120 all the way at the top of the notch. He was like 5 or 6 i believe they said. Me and my dad looked at each other in disbelief he was up there lol

Travco28

Reaction score
Cataract is also a great place for new riders to learn and not get discouraged . Short track and old school sleds do just fine there .

BubbleNuts

Reaction score
Cataract is also a great place for new riders to learn and not get discouraged . Short track and old school sleds do just fine there .
There quite a bit of meadows there that are rideable? Looks like it on google maps but sometimes isn’t always accurate

tucker_98

Reaction score
There quite a bit of meadows there that are rideable? Looks like it on google maps but sometimes isn’t always accurate
There are a few meadows there that are rideable, but most of what you see on Google maps are going to be cutovers with stumps / logs that never get enough coverage in a typical snow year. The ones that are get tracked out very very quickly unless you're there the day of / after a snowfall.

BubbleNuts

Reaction score
There are a few meadows there that are rideable, but most of what you see on Google maps are going to be cutovers with stumps / logs that never get enough coverage in a typical snow year. The ones that are get tracked out very very quickly unless you're there the day of / after a snowfall.
Kinda was thinking that but never know till you ask

Travco28

Reaction score
I was down there today with my kids . Trails are icy and skinny . Need snow bad . Still a good trail ride and there's a couple hills you can poke around on ( south on way to cabin ) That is realy good practice for them. It is well groomed .
There is enough snow to keep sliders wet if you dip off the trail every so often .

Top Bottom