Cataract Creek Area snow conditions and trail condition thread for 2022/23

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Absolutely do-able in winter, the other guys have set you good on directions. If you want to see more than just the fuselage, plan a late summer trip via ATV to the same spot - there’s shrapnel all over the place that you don’t see until the snow is gone.
The ATV trip is on my must do list

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
B5C3C394-35DB-4F17-9466-E97E1810BCAE.jpeg 8F0D7C7C-B675-4B20-8E63-8CEA32F8A6DD.jpeg Great start to the season

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fearing the lack of base in Golden we decided to give Cataract a run. Good coverage on the trails and not too rough yet. On the west side there's probably 3' in the sheltered areas. Going off trail is dicey. Saw some hunter's traps down on the south end. There were tracks towards Fording pass but we decided not to check it out. We did 105km in pretty short order. I didn't realize the app wasn't recording at first.
20221210_111137.jpg
20221210_123637.jpg
Screenshot_20221210_151241_Avenza Maps.jpg

tucker_98

Reaction score
Toughest part was sidehilling the heavy Formula pluses across the slide area by the burning coal mine lol.
The first memories I have of sledding were on a 93 formula plus with the old man. He bought it new and sold it in 2008 or so. It was absolutely immaculate despite him letting me take it through my teenage years. I had to wax it before I left and again when I got back. He'd make my mom get off and hold the branches back so it wouldn't scratch the hood lol. Unfortunately the guy who bought it lost the CDI and let it rot and fade uncovered in his backyard where it sits to this day. I'd love to find one that's been cared for to scoop up. Everyone I've seen is destroyed, like anything else I guess.

Glad to see the early season conditions are great at cataract!

Attachments

• IMG_20220413_165327.jpg
    IMG_20220413_165327.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 124

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

Any recent updates?
I wouldn't mind enjoying some of the nice weather this week and take the ol' steed out for a test and tune.

Cheers

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Skyhigh

Reaction score
Any news on Cataract? Enough snow to keep a sled cool? Must have been some guys down there over the holidays??

Thanks

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out Dec 29 with my family. Trails are holding up nicely, no bare spots. Starting to get rough now because of all the traffic this week. Make sure you have scratchers as the trail is rock hard in spots and your sled may overheat. Still good snow in some of the meadows to play. Warm temps again yesturday +3 at the cabin.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out Dec 29 with my family. Trails are holding up nicely, no bare spots. Starting to get rough now because of all the traffic this week. Make sure you have scratchers as the trail is rock hard in spots and your sled may overheat. Still good snow in some of the meadows to play. Warm temps again yesturday +3 at the cabin.
Damn. Was planning a new year's ride, but snowbike + icy trails = no fun.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Cataract on Saturday with the Club Family Ride. Trails in decent shape considering all the warm weather. Everyone was riding easy on the throttle to try to keep the whoops from growing. Couple bare spots so I expect grooming will be limited until we get some more snow. Only travelled on the south end so cant speak to conditions on the north trails.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Cataract on Saturday with the Club Family Ride. Trails in decent shape considering all the warm weather. Everyone was riding easy on the throttle to try to keep the whoops from growing. Couple bare spots so I expect grooming will be limited until we get some more snow. Only travelled on the south end so cant speak to conditions on the north trails.
South part of the the trail system is always better anyways isn’t it? Been awhile since I’ve been out there but that’s the way it was back in the day

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Posting this email from Darren Whitney
Darren C Whitney has sent a message on TeamSnap.​
Hi Everyone,
A rider reported that he found a Ski Doo DESS key on the trails at Cataract while riding on Dec 31. Posts in our chat and on Facebook have not seen any responses so I am sending this note out as one last attempt to locate the user. If you lost one of your keys out there either Friday or Saturday I ask that you contact me ASAP so that I can put you in touch with this rider.
Thanks,
Darren Whitney
CSC President
403 829 3885

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already, but where do you get a trail pass? Is there a pay booth there like in BC?

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda think you got to buy a Calgary snowmobile club membership to get the pass. That or a ASA membership. Don’t think they got a collection person there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already, but where do you get a trail pass? Is there a pay booth there like in BC?
ASA day passes are available here:

Top Bottom