Cataract Creek Area snow conditions and trail condition thread for 2022/23

Slopedeceder

Reaction score
Has anyone ridden powderface trail this year?

I’ve always wanted to ride it , to just do it, but need to know there is enough to not destroy the machine and keep it cool.

Thanks

EldestEldo

Reaction score
I haven't ridden it for years, but what I found was that even when it is covered there always certain south facing parts of the road that melt off quickly. So its best to try it right after a snowfall so you have a chance of finding snow on the whole road.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CSC is the best look at this trail!

Attachments

• 48FC2391-E3B4-43F0-A335-1BAB7AC505F2.jpeg
    48FC2391-E3B4-43F0-A335-1BAB7AC505F2.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 250
  • 5C4B6B45-D732-46F5-AD5B-3485CDAD63D1.jpeg
    5C4B6B45-D732-46F5-AD5B-3485CDAD63D1.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 241

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the riding out at Cataract now after the recent snowfall. I have never been. Thinking about a trip March 4th or 5th. It will be the first trip of the season. work is keeping me busy until the end of March.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I imagine Cataract is peaking right now with this recent snow. Chinook winds will have their way though.

rkl

Reaction score
How is the riding out at Cataract now after the recent snowfall. I have never been. Thinking about a trip March 4th or 5th. It will be the first trip of the season. work is keeping me busy until the end of March.
There's a FB group called Sibbald Snow Vehicle Group, they post pics sometimes, doesn't look to bad right now.

t-bomb

Reaction score
Hi. I have never rode cataract. I know about getting a trail pass and/or join the club. I have a map of area. But my question is. I want to take my kids to ride there tomorrow March 18. They have a 1994 Indy lite GT 340 and an 88 Yamaha Sno scoot. They have never ridden trails before. New to snowmobiling. Just rode lakes and feilds up to now. Question is can kids make it to cabin with the scoot? How far is it from staging area. I sold my assault a while back. So I have a new to me 1999 RMK 600 that I’ve tuned up but yet to put any miles on. Sema to run fine. The wife was going to double on the Indy lite GT.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven’t been there in years and wasn’t aware of a cabin up there other than the shelter, cook structure close to the parking lot? Those sleds will traverse any groomed trail in the whole system no problem. Just remember to be on the right side of the trail when going around corners especially in the later afternoon when the trail warriors are racing back to their trucks. Have fun!

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi. I have never rode cataract. I know about getting a trail pass and/or join the club. I have a map of area. But my question is. I want to take my kids to ride there tomorrow March 18. They have a 1994 Indy lite GT 340 and an 88 Yamaha Sno scoot. They have never ridden trails before. New to snowmobiling. Just rode lakes and feilds up to now. Question is can kids make it to cabin with the scoot? How far is it from staging area. I sold my assault a while back. So I have a new to me 1999 RMK 600 that I’ve tuned up but yet to put any miles on. Sema to run fine. The wife was going to double on the Indy lite GT.
Make sure you have insurance and registration on sleds if riding out there. They do check....

I'd say it's a pretty good hall to get to cabin on a kids snowmobile.20-25km pending on route taken. Judging by pdf map link. Not saying it's not possible. It is located on the farthest south/west side of the groomed trail system. I have not personally been to the cabin. Just know where it was placed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317-110325~2.png
    Screenshot_20230317-110325~2.png
    904 KB · Views: 116
  • kc_-_cataract_creek_snowmobile_trails.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Haven’t been there in years and wasn’t aware of a cabin up there other than the shelter, cook structure close to the parking lot? Those sleds will traverse any groomed trail in the whole system no problem. Just remember to be on the right side of the trail when going around corners especially in the later afternoon when the trail warriors are racing back to their trucks. Have fun!
they added a cabin in the last couple of years Ken.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will have a great time. Take the Oyster Excursion route. Skyline/Pasque has awesome views but the hills might be intimidating to a beginner. You can play that by ear.

I'll second what Ken said. Keep to the right side of yhe trail and don't stop where line of site is bad.

Travco28

Reaction score
The Cabin is an easy 40 - 60 minute trail ride with kids . Theres a wood stove and fire wood so they can warm up . There is also a propane grill on the deck . Out house ect. I have bin there with my kids four times this season and they love it .
ones on a 98 Phazer . They also think skyline trail is super cool . The club is doing a great job with the low snow we do have .

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
And how did you make out? Updates are always great 🙂

Travco28

Reaction score
I was there on Sat . Trails are good but if this warm weather keeps up it will melt fast . I would say 8" less snow on hills sides that get the sun then a couple weeks ago. Rocky south facing slopes are starting to slide .

Top Bottom